Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 12:25 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about getting a full body scan, and just wondered:

-- If you got one, did you include one for your head as well.
(some places the 'body scan is just neck down, and they charge extra for head/brain/skull)
-- What you thought of you experience, results?
-- Did it find anything?
-- Are you glad you got it?

I'm talking about comprehensive full body scans. Not those traveling screenings set ups.

I know insurance doesn't cover it. Not that I'm loaded, but if I wanted to get it I could afford it. But being that I'm not rich, that money would come out of savings, and even though I've been thinking about getting one for years -- I just haven't pulled the trigger to spend the money. Thought I'd get one at 50, but never did. Maybe I 'll save up for it so I won't feel like I'm pulling money out of savings.

Some critics have said "they hardly find anything," others say they detect even the slightest thing that may never develop into any really problem. But IF something is latent or dormant or in early stages, I'd rather know...I've never been impressed with what passes for a yearly physical. I also like those executive health programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 01:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Recently i've had several major body scans,
Bone density scan
MRI
CT scan
cardiac mibi scan
Full Doppler ultra sound.

Except for the MRI which gives me claustrophobia the tests were routine to the point of boring.
Several doctors called for the tests to determine why i'm losing the ability to walk.I should be getting the results back over the next month or so.
As for cost,? living in Canada the cost came to $0.00

Old 10-26-2015, 11:47 AM

Hope all is well. Glad there is this kind of technology.

I think the body scan I'm referring to is ONE scan, and insurance doesn't cover it here in the U.S. because it's totally optional screening. I think it's great. Basically it just screens the whole body just to see what it might find.

I've seen them featured on news segments on TV. For that person, the doc said it found early, early early signs of arthritis.
Basically it can find PRE-SYMPTOMATIC conditions. It can let you know what you MIGHT get in the future.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:20 PM

The thought just occurred to me that you could probably get a free full body scan down at your local airport .
You might want to focus/research exactly what type of full body scan you want as there are several methods one can use.=
https://www.google.ca/#safe=active&q=Full+body+scan

Old 10-26-2015, 05:12 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Why in the world would you want to subject yourself to that much radiation? I have had one abdominal/pelvic CT scan and didn't learn until after the fact that it's equal to about 400 chest x-rays.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:41 PM

I just like the idea of being pre tested or screened (although it's really just a scan) -- to really know what might be in the early stages to stay as health as I am.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Why in the world would you want to subject yourself to that much radiation? I have had one abdominal/pelvic CT scan and didn't learn until after the fact that it's equal to about 400 chest x-rays.
I'm having some serious medical issues,the doctors want to find out the cause,these type of scans are the best way they have to look for the problem/s. I'm certainly not ordering these scans on my own volition.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:28 PM

373 posts, read 482,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I've been thinking about getting a full body scan, and just wondered:

-- If you got one, did you include one for your head as well.
(some places the 'body scan is just neck down, and they charge extra for head/brain/skull)
-- What you thought of you experience, results?
-- Did it find anything?
-- Are you glad you got it?

I'm talking about comprehensive full body scans. Not those traveling screenings set ups.

I know insurance doesn't cover it. Not that I'm loaded, but if I wanted to get it I could afford it. But being that I'm not rich, that money would come out of savings, and even though I've been thinking about getting one for years -- I just haven't pulled the trigger to spend the money. Thought I'd get one at 50, but never did. Maybe I 'll save up for it so I won't feel like I'm pulling money out of savings.

Some critics have said "they hardly find anything," others say they detect even the slightest thing that may never develop into any really problem. But IF something is latent or dormant or in early stages, I'd rather know...I've never been impressed with what passes for a yearly physical. I also like those executive health programs.
If you got money to burn, go for PET FDG scan. But seriously, you are dumb! I am sorry but I have to say it. Would you want biopsy for every mole on your body? Same concept.

Old 10-27-2015, 10:35 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
The scan isn't that big a deal, but having the proper skilled personnel interpreting what they see is where many of these elective scans go south.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
If you got money to burn, go for PET FDG scan. But seriously, you are dumb! I am sorry but I have to say it. Would you want biopsy for every mole on your body? Same concept.
So electing to pay for something that could find a potential problem before it becomes symptomatic makes me dumb and means I have money to burn?

I'm curious about your thinking on this.

How about it means I'm fortunate enough to be able to proactively take care of my health?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness