Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 03:17 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
My problem is hot flashes...not a need to go to the bathroom at night. I have at least 4 flashes a night, that wake me.....7 years...you get used to it!

As far as the bathroom issue....do you urinate frequently during the day? If you've been checked out and nothing is causing frequent need to urinate, try holding your urine a little past when you usually go...maybe your bladder is small.....
I'm 64 and I don't know why they call it "the change." I mean, change usually happens in a few years. I've been "changing" for 20! So, is there a chance I might change back?

Seriously, I have to pee whenever I wake up, which is often from night sweats, so I think it's an automatic reaction to being awake, at least in my case. I wake up and think, "Oh, I need to pee" and then go back to bed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 03:25 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
I can't remember the last time I slept all night, even when exhausted. 4 hours would be a good stretch for me. I normally wake up twice - but rarely to pee. I just wake up, turn over and go back to sleep. Annoying as all hell.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:27 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm 64 and I don't know why they call it "the change." I mean, change usually happens in a few years. I've been "changing" for 20! So, is there a chance I might change back?

Seriously, I have to pee whenever I wake up, which is often from night sweats, so I think it's an automatic reaction to being awake, at least in my case. I wake up and think, "Oh, I need to pee" and then go back to bed.
I notice the days I have oats for breakfast are the nights I don't have hot sweats.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:47 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
You should take something for the prostate if you are going to many times , also you should take some Magnesium citrate, which will help you sleep at night and is good for muscle pain and stress and will lower blood pressure .....I take 150 mg Magnesium citrate at night time and I sleep great now

Old 11-04-2015, 05:13 PM

201 posts, read 190,055 times
I had trouble sleeping a few years ago and a friend recommended Dramamine. Not the non-drowsy formula, obviously. I had tried Benadryl and all the other over the counter sleep aids that actually had the opposite effect on me. They kept me awake and made me restless. I only take it on work nights and luckily I'm off as many days as I work. That stuff has really helped me.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:42 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,291,843 times
Alcohol helps you fall asleep but disrupts your ability to stay asleep.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...and-effective/

Now that I've told you what doesn't work ... see a doctor.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:56 PM

7,057 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
I notice the days I have oats for breakfast are the nights I don't have hot sweats.

Seriously? You mean like regular old oatmeal? And just at breakfast?

I have minimum hot flashes during the day, but the nights are just filled with them.

OP, I know you're only in your early forties, but have you had your prostate checked?

Old 11-04-2015, 06:08 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
For me, it's pretty much a given that I will wake up 2-3 times during the night to use the bathroom. It's a rarity for me to sleep more than 3-4 hours straight. I used to think this was normal, but I know it's not.

I know this is a common problem for senior citizens, but I'm 42 and this has been going on most of my adult life. Does anybody have any suggestions? Most nights, I don't drink any (or very few) liquids between 6:30 and bedtime but it happens anyway. I also used Melatonin as a sleep aid for a while (for other reasons), which did help me fall asleep faster but I still woke up just as often during the night.
What is your general fluid intake? And at night are you drinking caffeine type drinks that act as a diuretic? Or drinking lots of caffeinated drinksduring the day?

Old 11-04-2015, 06:32 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
You should take something for the prostate if you are going to many times , also you should take some Magnesium citrate, which will help you sleep at night and is good for muscle pain and stress and will lower blood pressure .....I take 150 mg Magnesium citrate at night time and I sleep great now

Beware that Mag Citrate and Mag Oxide can also give you diarrhea though! There are other forms of Mag that don't, but I can't remember which ones.

I suggest seeing a urologist and discussing the problem.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:02 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Beware that Mag Citrate and Mag Oxide can also give you diarrhea though! There are other forms of Mag that don't, but I can't remember which ones.

I suggest seeing a urologist and discussing the problem.
I think magnesium glycinate is the one that's supposed to help you sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness