U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 09:37 PM

923 posts, read 844,191 times

Advertisements

FTR I asked about this today in the pharmacy section of the local Target. They confirmed that they carry only the Delsym type of this drug, which contains actual plastic as part of the extended release mechanism.

Apart from my distaste for eating plastic, I prefer non-extended release cough suppressant, I have a natural reluctance to spend $12 for a five ounce bottle of Delsym when in California I used to get a four ounce bottle of generic DXM syrup for a buck at the dollar store, or just a few more dollars elsewhere. In fact, here in Oregon the dollar stores offer little at all in the way of OTC drugs. I wonder if the lack of sales tax had anything to do with it, i.e. is the tax burden shifted to the store instead of th customer?

I assume this is due to some kids Robotripping for kicks, since I doubt if anyone could get enough Delsym down with that objective in mind. It's viscous and cloyingly sweet.

But those of us who've never abused DXM in our lives have to live with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 04:06 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,321,237 times
Better question: why would anyone want to take a "cough medicine?"....The logic escape me.

The purpose of the cough reflex is to protect you from allowing dirt, bugs, liquids "down the wrong pipe" and excessive mucous from blocking an airway, or more importantly, from getting down into the lungs where they would cause pneumonia....It's a protective reflex and good for you.

There are two types of cough medicines: suppressants and expectorants. Suppressants serve to impair the protective cough. Dumb.....Expectorants serve to irritate the bronchial tubes in order to make a more voluminous, liquidy mucus, supposedly easier to cough out. Your bronchial tubes are already irritated and that's why you're seeking some relief. Even dumber.

Users of cough medicine are seeking a magic cure that doesn't exist.

Old 02-14-2020, 04:19 AM

10,557 posts, read 5,929,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You have to wonder why they put restrictions on this stuff, the abuse of DXM 'robo' is pretty small and insignificant, its mostly young teens that either do not have money or no connection to obtain street drugs, rarely if ever do 30-40 yr olds do robo!! LOL
Nanny State mentality... Parents looking towards government to make up for their failures as parents. Same crap that has resulted in banning of many vape products.

The reason there isn't an outright ban on DXM is money and influence of big pharma.... Something the vaping industry lacks. No different from big tobacco keeping an out right ban on smoking from passing.

Old 02-14-2020, 04:28 AM

10,557 posts, read 5,929,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Better question: why would anyone want to take a "cough medicine?"....The logic escape me.

The purpose of the cough reflex is to protect you from allowing dirt, bugs, liquids "down the wrong pipe" and excessive mucous from blocking an airway, or more importantly, from getting down into the lungs where they would cause pneumonia....It's a protective reflex and good for you.

There are two types of cough medicines: suppressants and expectorants. Suppressants serve to impair the protective cough. Dumb.....Expectorants serve to irritate the bronchial tubes in order to make a more voluminous, liquidy mucus, supposedly easier to cough out. Your bronchial tubes are already irritated and that's why you're seeking some relief. Even dumber.

Fever reducers?

Old 02-14-2020, 12:21 PM

24,813 posts, read 29,801,378 times
Quote:

The last time I took something for a cough was when I had one that was non-productive and persistent. There was irritation but no sputum. The cough just exacerbated the irritation, creating a vicious cycle. Tessalon Perles helped.

Old 02-14-2020, 01:00 PM

5,576 posts, read 9,034,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The last time I took something for a cough was when I had one that was non-productive and persistent. There was irritation but no sputum. The cough just exacerbated the irritation, creating a vicious cycle. Tessalon Perles helped.
Same here. Anytime I get a "cold", it results in non-productive coughing. Annoying, irritating, painful, sleep disturbing.
Have used Robitussin DM & Delsym to relieve.

YMMV

Old 02-14-2020, 01:33 PM

1,939 posts, read 1,141,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Same here. Anytime I get a "cold", it results in non-productive coughing. Annoying, irritating, painful, sleep disturbing.
Have used Robitussin DM & Delsym to relieve.

YMMV

Third here. Whenever I get a cold, the cough lasts and lingers, non-productive dry coughing that keeps me awake at night so I am a zombie the next day. Plus, it creates a vicious loop just like suzy_q. If I don't treat it, it eventually causes so much irritation that I develop bronchitis. I also usually end up getting a prescription for Tessalon but sometimes I can fight it off early with Robitussin and not have to go to the doctor and get a prescription. Just being able to sleep at night helps me recover quicker.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:31 AM

27 posts, read 5,741 times
Quote:

Or maybe they're just looking for a good nights sleep so they're not up all night hacking away and going the next day sleep-deprived.

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

14,126 posts, read 3,749,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Nanny State mentality... Parents looking towards government to make up for their failures as parents. Same crap that has resulted in banning of many vape products.

The reason there isn't an outright ban on DXM is money and influence of big pharma.... Something the vaping industry lacks. No different from big tobacco keeping an out right ban on smoking from passing.
jI do agree on tobacco lobbying being the reason for cigarettes still being so easily accessible today, but as far as 'big pharma' goes...I have to disagree, from what Ive seen, 'big pharma' is NOT very powerful or influential...

Look at the crackdown on prescription opioids...back in the days when doctors were doling these out like candy, the pharma companies were making huge profits...I find it hard to believe such a 'big and powerful' industry would allow govt to step in and throw a wrench into some of their best selling drugs, (especially not without a long drawn out legal battle).

In addition, there was the insurance companies that were also profiting, opioids were cheap, insurance companies LOVED them as a result, plus, it kept the patient coming back for more and more! What industry would just 'allow' govt to come in and stop all that?

Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM

88,964 posts, read 105,449,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froscow View Post
Or maybe they're just looking for a good nights sleep so they're not up all night hacking away and going the next day sleep-deprived.
Yes! When I worked a pediatric telephone triage line, we told parents not to even try to suppress the cough except at night. I'd imagine the same advice works for adults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness