Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 06:54 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,516,961 times

Advertisements

(FTR this is in California.)

For whatever reason lately, whenever I shop for cough syrup, it's become harder and harder to find any liquid cough suppressant that is just cough suppressent, that is where dextromethorphan (DXM) is the only active incredient. I'll find shelf-ful after shelf-ful of multi-ingredient products. If I want to dry out all my mucous membranes to the consistency of Death Valley in the summer, I can get DXM with diphenhydramine (Benedryl), which moreover will dilate my pupils and zombify me for a good four hours. For an even stronger zombification effect, I can find medicine with DXM and doxylamine sulfate, which is like Benedryl, only stronger. Similarly, I can find DXM together with phenylephrine or, if I go to the prescription window, pseudoephedrine. Occasionally I see DXM-only gelcaps, but they don't seem to work nearly as fast as the liquid.

Most "cough syrups" on the shelf, with all the extra active ingredients, seem targeted to people who have serious colds and want one product for all their symptoms.

But what if I don't want decongestants or antihistamines? What if I just want straight-up simple cough medicine? Why is this getting so hard to find? It's become so noticeable, at least to me, that I'm beginning to wonder if there's a conscious public policy of reducing the available supply, perhaps to combat DXM abuse by teens looking for a cheap high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 07:15 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Ask the pharmacist...most stuff is "behind" the counter, nowadays. You can buy it without an RX...but you do have to sign for it.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:24 AM

In California we do have an age restriction on all DXM products; you have to be at least eighteen years of age. But they're still stocked with the general merchandise, and you don't have to sign anything or see the pharmacist. That's why I was wondering if there'd been some sort of end-run policy decision by which they simply discouraged retailers from stocking very much single ingredient DXM.

Over the years I've made a sort of study of drug policy and how drug laws are set up. It's not uncommon for single ingredients to be regulated more stringently than combination products. For example, a narcotic combined with a non-narcotic active ingredient is often placed in a less restrictive control schedule than the single ingredient narcotic would be. This seems essentially reasonable because an addict or abuser of drugs usually doesn't want the effects of the other drug, which may be unpleasant or even negate the desired effect from the drug they're seeking.

Old 11-14-2015, 01:38 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Awe, no more "robotripping?"

Old 02-14-2019, 03:00 PM

Default Update (new state)

We moved to Oregon last summer, and if anything the situation with DXM is more noticeable. Early last evening I took some of my wife's Nyquil with DXM, doxylamine, and phenylephrine, and was out like a light within an hour.

OTOH I notice that I can get all the Delsym and store-brand competitors that I want, but that never seems to work as well for me. Also, having been originally formulated for children it's loaded with saccharin which makes me gag, especially when it comes in a thick syrup that's almost like paste.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:33 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
We moved to Oregon last summer, and if anything the situation with DXM is more noticeable. Early last evening I took some of my wife's Nyquil with DXM, doxylamine, and phenylephrine, and was out like a light within an hour.

OTOH I notice that I can get all the Delsym and store-brand competitors that I want, but that never seems to work as well for me. Also, having been originally formulated for children it's loaded with saccharin which makes me gag, especially when it comes in a thick syrup that's almost like paste.

Nyquil (green) works best for me with coughing, cold or flu symptoms. It also contains alcohol. Nyquil (red) Daytime is a different medicine...non drowsy.

Old 02-14-2019, 05:43 PM

17,574 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Because in high doses, DXM is hallucinogenic

In FL Robitussin/DXM ourchases are limited to 3 x 8 oz

In OH, the same product purchase requires proof of age

It is going to to be harder and harder to find single ingt DXM

Old 02-17-2019, 11:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

You have to wonder why they put restrictions on this stuff, the abuse of DXM 'robo' is pretty small and insignificant, its mostly young teens that either do not have money or no connection to obtain street drugs, rarely if ever do 30-40 yr olds do robo!! LOL

Especially today, with social media, cell phones, everybody being so connected, finding drugs is easier than ever. I used to be a daily heroin user, but have been clean for almost 3 years...still though, right now, if I wanted to, I know roughly about 20 something people that I could get it from.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:49 PM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
You can order Robitussin DM (single ingredient) from Amazon or WalMart

https://www.amazon.com/Robitussin-Ex...obitussin&th=1

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Robitussi...id-3/218637048

Old 03-03-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

I finally found some here in OR. I'm not aware of any quantity restrictions but I did have to show my ID. I bought three four-ounce bottles. Eight-ounce bottles would be great but not once have I ever seen anything other than the four ouncers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness