Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 05:48 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
As someone who has had 4 sinus surgeries and still isn't right I have the same problem. It's post nasal drip. I do flush my nose a couple times a day as it gets so thick I can hardly swallow. I have allergies and asthma also. I used to go to an allergist but after taking allergy shots for two years it didn't work for me. Kind of a waste of money in my opinion.
Use warm water with a spoonful of non iodine salt. You have several options as to the device you want to use. 1. Neti pot 2. Enema bulb 3. Water pic attachment. Do some research to find something that will work for you. Give it a try!
Oh honey, so sorry. *hug*
Excellent post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 05:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
GURL! I read that book! I don't believe... okay I do.
Live foods. I do that every now and then...
Flash from the past, eh!! Hahaha "The Mucusless Diet"

Here: it's now in pdf...Arnold Ehret! Remember that name? hahaha
He had some peculiar death...was it a coconut on his head?

http://healsa.co.za/PDF%20Files/Mucusless_Diet.pdf

Old 11-13-2015, 06:20 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy18 View Post
I always feel like I have mucus just sitting in my throat. Even when I cough some out, it still never goes away. It's been like this for a few years. I've been to a nose & throat doctor twice before and even when he shoved a camera down my nose, he still couldn't find anything. He prescribed me a medication which didn't help. I've tried Mucinex too which also didn't help. What is wrong and how can I make this go away?
I really sympathize with you. I have had this problem for about seven years. On and off, but it continues to worsen.

I've seen the best doctors available in three states. My last examination was from the renounced Cleveland Clinic. They tested me for over six months. Gave me medications which were worthless. And told me to drink more water. They said that I was "allergy free".

This PND has become incapacitating. I can not express how this one thing - that sounds to most people like a minor annoyance - has controlled and limited my life.

A few days ago, I decided to try only eating non mucus forming foods for one month. I did some fairly exhaustive research. And for two weeks previous, I wrote down foods that seemed to precipitate a bad attack, as well as those that did not.

Here is what I found - Foods to avoid - bread or any baked goods, sugar, sugary drinks, bananas, peanut butter, soy, dairy - all of it, white rice, pasta, noodles, coffee, chocolate, corn, wine and beer.

I don't eat red meat or poultry so, while I see those items on mucus forming lists.

Foods that do NOT bother me and seem to help - greens, pineapple, grapefruit - very helpful, pineapple, pumpkin, squash, white beans, brown rice, quinoa, beets, salmon, very helpful and cucumber, celery, pears, blueberries, apples and albacore tuna in water.

Spices and condiments that help - ginger, cayenne pepper, onions, garlic, parsley, lemon, honey chamomile and peppermint tea.

What I am going to do, is eat only the foods from the second list for a month. I am supplementing it with a plant based non soy protein drink.

I am leaving out the neutral foods for now.

This is my second day, and the coughing, gagging and expectorating has decreased. It isn't perfect. But it is better.

Has anyone has similar responses to these foods?

Old 11-13-2015, 07:58 PM

710 posts, read 584,171 times
I appreciate everyone's responses and sharing their experiences, but from the general consensus of fellow sufferers of this, there's no way to completely eradicate it?

Old 11-13-2015, 08:28 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
I always feel like I have mucus just sitting in my throat. Even when I cough some out, it still never goes away. It's been like this for a few years. I've been to a nose & throat doctor twice before and even when he shoved a camera down my nose, he still couldn't find anything. He prescribed me a medication which didn't help. I've tried Mucinex too which also didn't help. What is wrong and how can I make this go away?

By and large I've found ENT's to be worthless. All they do is take tests they never read. Seriously! I went to an ENT who insisted on taking a new CT scan, the last one was over a year old. Ok, they made me pay in advance, $200 copay. Then, he was reading the old scan! My dh was standing near it, he's a stickler for "details" dh said this says 2013, its 2014 now! Then, ENT says well, they all give basically the same information Then, he tells me a have a blocked right sinus passage, and he's reading the left scan!

I was suffering terribly from sinus headaches. Finally went to my PCP, she asked what I was taking, among other things Mucinex. She told me to stop the Mucinex. While its good for chest congestion, it isn't for sinus congestion. It works by thinning out the mucous. Well, the sinus cavities are very small, and when the mucous is thinned out, it increases in volume, which puts even more pressure in the sinus cavities. I stopped the Mucinex and haven't had headaches since.

But do have that sensation of mucous in the throat, especially when I wake up in the morning. It feels like I've got chewing gum stuck in my throat. I find taking pseudaphed before going to bed helps.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:37 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,889,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
An allergist is a good idea.

I read 'The Mucusless Diet' in the 70s.
That's what I would try for 2-3 weeks...not telling you to...

I would also snort salt water daily to cleanse my nasal passages....again, that's me.
Good luck with this.

Snort saline solution.

That's so 80s.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:59 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times
Quote:
I appreciate everyone's responses and sharing their experiences, but from the general consensus of fellow sufferers of this, there's no way to completely eradicate it?
I don't know what to tell you either, but just chiming in to tell you I feel your pain. I have had post-nasal drip for YEARS. It is constant, and sometimes worse than other times, but always there. I take Allegra every day year-round. It doesn't eliminate it, but it does get worse if I stop it. I live in Florida now and this is my third November here, and each November, I get chest congestion and a cough that I think are allergy-related. I'm clearing my throat as I write. I didn't know anything about it being diet-related, I just assumed it was allergies. Have you tried Allegra or Zyrtec?

Old 11-14-2015, 08:21 AM

624 posts, read 1,071,597 times
question - how do you breathe? Nose or mouth? When I run/jog for a long time, I get mucus in my throat and hear other runners start clearing their throat (running on threadmill).

Old 11-14-2015, 10:00 AM

16,550 posts, read 8,589,183 times
Quote:
Are you like in this scene from about 2:00 minutes in to almost 3:00 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIwhjp_c1d0

Do you feel as if you have mucus or phlegm in the back of your throat at night more that any other time?
If you do, does taking a sip of water seem to loosen it up to where it is easier to clear it or spit it up?
Do you snore at night?

`

Old 11-14-2015, 11:08 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,754,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
By and large I've found ENT's to be worthless. All they do is take tests they never read. Seriously! I went to an ENT who insisted on taking a new CT scan, the last one was over a year old. Ok, they made me pay in advance, $200 copay. Then, he was reading the old scan! My dh was standing near it, he's a stickler for "details" dh said this says 2013, its 2014 now! Then, ENT says well, they all give basically the same information Then, he tells me a have a blocked right sinus passage, and he's reading the left scan!

I was suffering terribly from sinus headaches. Finally went to my PCP, she asked what I was taking, among other things Mucinex. She told me to stop the Mucinex. While its good for chest congestion, it isn't for sinus congestion. It works by thinning out the mucous. Well, the sinus cavities are very small, and when the mucous is thinned out, it increases in volume, which puts even more pressure in the sinus cavities. I stopped the Mucinex and haven't had headaches since.

But do have that sensation of mucous in the throat, especially when I wake up in the morning. It feels like I've got chewing gum stuck in my throat. I find taking pseudaphed before going to bed helps.
Don't you mean Sudafed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness