Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 05:57 PM

672 posts, read 503,060 times

Advertisements

I have a question about Pregnancy after Breast Cancer. I don't have anyone in my immediate family who has or had Breast Cancer.

Good Morning America News anchor Amy Robach released a book this week in which she talk about her battle with Stage 2B Breast Cancer. She was 40 when she was diagnosed. She had been married once before and had 2 kids from her previous marriage and had been married to her second husband (who had 3 form previous marriage) for almost 4 Years by this point.

She wrote in her book that she would have love to (and wanted) have had another child with her second husband but after her surgery and before chemo her doctor told her she could not have anymore children in her lifetime. The Two she had already would be it.

Hoda Kotb (who was diagnosed at 42) said the same that doctors told her after her surgery she could not have any children. although she was in process of getting divorce so she was not to sad by it.

I was wondering and maybe someone who been in same position can answer this but is it the medicine they take or the chemo or something else they are given that prevent them from having another child or having any children at at all? What it is that cause this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 06:47 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
Probably a combination of both...all cancer treatments are toxic....they are supposedly designed to kill the cancer cells, without killing the patient....they've gotten pretty good with that..but those treatments CAN and DO kill the patient..and probably cause major defects in any cells...like eggs....
Eggs are ONE cell....only 1 cell! Think about it...if that 1 little cell has any mutation from the toxicity of the chemo or radiation, the child is not going to be "normal"...

Old 11-23-2015, 07:08 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Some hormones increased by pregnancy also stimulate cancer cells, IIRC.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:30 PM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
I know one woman who wanted to have a second child after breast cancer treatment, and was given the go-ahead by her doctor, but it turned out that her eggs were no longer viable. They had been completely destroyed by chemo. She and her husband ended up adopting.

In her case, the cancer had NOT been hormonally sensitive, so it would have been okay for her to get pregnant if she had been able.

In my own case, I was 39 and already done having children when I had breast cancer, but it was recommended that I not get pregnant. My cancer was estrogen & progesterone sensitive, and the increased hormones of pregnancy would have made a recurrence much more likely.

In addition, I was taking tamoxifen (an estrogen blocker), and was strongly warned not to become pregnant while taking it, as the child would not be normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness