Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 05:51 PM

149 posts, read 166,568 times

Advertisements

My husband won't go see a doctor about his tinnitus because he has read that there is no cure. Sometimes the ringing/ chirping noise in his ears is so loud that he cannot hear people talking. He spends almost every other day not listening to music or watching tv or engaging with people because he can't hear over the noise. He has also had problems sleeping when it is too loud. He is also perpetually grouchy due to the annoyance of the noise- and I can't blame him.

The cause of his tinnitus is either from medications he was taking or listening to headphones with music too loud when he was a stupid teenager.

Occasionally when I am sick with a head cold I will have temporary mild tinnitus and it drives me crazy. I can't see living with the noise that he says is always there 100% of the time (it just changes volume so sometimes it's a little more bearable).

Does anyone have experience with tinnitus or know of any new research that might lead to a treatment? Has anyone found ways of coping with it? I have already been to a site dedicated to dealing with tinnitus and the consensus there is to "accept it" and move on but that is hard when you love someone who is really suffering and can't be fully engaged in life just because they can't hear over internal noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 06:37 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
No salt...no caffeine....there is no "cure", but there ARE things that will help a LOT! Get him to an ENT...(Ear, nose, throat) doctor ASAP!

Old 12-02-2015, 09:13 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
As I write this my ears are screaming at a high pitch. They do so 24/7 anymore and they seem to be getting worse.

My problem is thought by at least two audiologists to be from working around loud jet engines for four years while I was in the Air Force. It seems quite possible although I think much of it is simply due to my age at 66. Doctors are sort of like lawyers in that they feel obliged to blame someone or something when they are confronted with a situation.

At any rate, not much seems to help. These days I seem to notice it more and more which leads me to believe it is getting worse. The speakers used for ordering outside a McDonalds or other drive-though restaurant where there is nearby traffic noise are almost non-functional to me anymore. I sleep with a radio on (these days a smart phone) and I tend to be silent around groups of people where there are also external noises. The external noise seems to mix up the sounds from a discussion and I can't understand what is being said.

Most of the research I have seen indicates that tinnitus is a situation that one usually has to acclimate to and learn to live with. When I'm busy or distracted, I tend not to pay any attention to the screaming "locusts" in my ears.

Although the dietary supplement LipoFlavonoid claims to help, it did nothing for me. As far as I know there are no prescribed drugs for tinnitus. Some people have reported help with tinnitus through the use of hearing aids.

Best to speak to an ear doctor and possibly learn if the problem can be corrected or lessened by some change in your husband's day-to-day lifestyle or if the problem is due to some irreversible physiological damage.

Sorry to hear of your husband's condition but best of luck.

Old 12-02-2015, 10:14 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
I have had it for years, it comes and goes. Sometimes it is just a whine, but often I get the big band effect. It sounds like Tommy Dorsey across a lake. Strange. I do not know of a cure.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:56 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,033 times
Don't bother with ENT's, I have found most to be completely useless. They will run tests and shrug their shoulders.

Have him go see a Neurotologist. They're not always easy to find, but bigger cities and areas with teaching hospitals have them.

Old 12-03-2015, 04:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Anri-depressants help a person deal with it. No cure, no treatment. I have it and hate it.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:18 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,258,709 times
Untreated thyroid issues can exasperate the condition.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:19 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Some people have reported help with tinnitus through the use of hearing aids.
I've worn aids since 1984 and they help immensely with my tinnitus. Since I can't wear them at night, I sometimes use a white noise machine.

I started meditating 3 years ago, and I've noticed it seems to help. It doesn't actually diminish the sounds but I'm able to tolerate them much better, in fact I've come to think of the sounds as "music of the spheres".

Old 12-04-2015, 05:15 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Anri-depressants help a person deal with it. No cure, no treatment. I have it and hate it.
That's not the case with all forms of tinnitus. A Neurotoligist is the best possible Doctor to give a precise diagnosis of the type of tinnitus and possible treatment plan.

It is true that many aren't curable but sometimes there is a surgical answer.

Here is a forum for people with pusatile tinnitus. Many of them have had surgery and are cured. Again, it needs to be diagnosed by a Neurotologist via imaging (MRI and or CT scan).

Whooshers.com

Old 12-04-2015, 05:55 PM

3,055 posts, read 2,926,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majesticmarmocet View Post
My husband won't go see a doctor about his tinnitus because he has read that there is no cure. Sometimes the ringing/ chirping noise in his ears is so loud that he cannot hear people talking. He spends almost every other day not listening to music or watching tv or engaging with people because he can't hear over the noise. He has also had problems sleeping when it is too loud. He is also perpetually grouchy due to the annoyance of the noise- and I can't blame him.

The cause of his tinnitus is either from medications he was taking or listening to headphones with music too loud when he was a stupid teenager.

Occasionally when I am sick with a head cold I will have temporary mild tinnitus and it drives me crazy. I can't see living with the noise that he says is always there 100% of the time (it just changes volume so sometimes it's a little more bearable).

Does anyone have experience with tinnitus or know of any new research that might lead to a treatment? Has anyone found ways of coping with it? I have already been to a site dedicated to dealing with tinnitus and the consensus there is to "accept it" and move on but that is hard when you love someone who is really suffering and can't be fully engaged in life just because they can't hear over internal noise.
I'm sorry. My fiancé has it but he seems to be accepting of it and he says he hardly notices it anymore. I printed out a paper listing all the possible treatments of it a while ago. If I have time at work (I'm a pharmacist) I'll see if I can't print it out again, but it may be a few days; I forgot which database I used to look up the information (and I work at three different pharmacies which don't have all the same databases). What I remember from it was Melatonin, Lipoflavanoids (which I heard lots of people say doesn't work, but it might be worth trying), and for prescription drugs amitriptyline or nortriptyline. I heard the best results are from hearing aids if you can afford them (we can't right now). My fiancé knew someone with tinnitus as bad as him and her problem cleared right up with them and apparently it helped someone else who replied a few posts ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness