Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: It's healthier to be...
Underweight 4 36.36%
Overweight 2 18.18%
They're both equally unhealthy 5 45.45%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 04:58 PM

589 posts, read 695,961 times

Advertisements

There seems to be mixed messages over if being underweight or overweight is worse for a person.

Thin people will say, "at least I'm not fat." However, other people will say that's just as unhealthy as being overweight. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 06:30 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,990,921 times
Being too skinny is just as bad as being too fat....there is a "normal" size...for your height and sex. Men are normally larger than women, but that's not 100% true...some women are taller than some men....so that won't hold true...

You should aim for a "healthy" weight....

Old 12-06-2015, 06:43 PM

589 posts, read 695,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
there is a "normal" size...for your height and sex.

You should aim for a "healthy" weight....
Well, of course. But what's being argued here is if it's healthier to be overweight, underweight, or if they're equally unhealthy.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:45 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
I say being underweight, but here is why: In the developed world, and especially in this country, being underweight is almost always CAUSED by something else. While overweight/obesity can be caused by simply eating too much, without any underlying cause, being underweight is usually the sign of something else.

It can be caused by liver problems, GI issues, parasites, Cancer, TB, lots of really bad conditions. Or, it can be caused by psychological problems. The worst symptom is often osteoperosis, which is irreversible by the time its noticed, and particularly nasty if you're younger.

Taken on its own, if you're healthy, eat normally, etc, it is probably a little better to be underweight, provided you don't get sick.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:49 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I say being underweight, but here is why: In the developed world, and especially in this country, being underweight is almost always CAUSED by something else. While overweight/obesity can be caused by simply eating too much, without any underlying cause, being underweight is usually the sign of something else.

It can be caused by liver problems, GI issues, parasites, Cancer, TB, lots of really bad conditions. Or, it can be caused by psychological problems. The worst symptom is often osteoperosis, which is irreversible by the time its noticed, and particularly nasty if you're younger.

Taken on its own, if you're healthy, eat normally, etc, it is probably a little better to be underweight, provided you don't get sick.
Except if you are older, it is actually to be a little bit overweight. Emphasis on a LITTLE bit, like 10 -15 lbs.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:16 PM

912 posts, read 914,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den0190 View Post
Well, of course. But what's being argued here is if it's healthier to be overweight, underweight, or if they're equally unhealthy.
I'm going to say that, if you have to pick one, that underweight is less healthy. When I was underweight, I was in the hospital. When I put on a few extra pounds, it didn't net the same results.

The true determining factor: "how" underweight / overweight and for how long?

Old 12-09-2015, 11:34 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
Underweight is worse according to this medical article...
Underweight Even Deadlier Than Overweight, Study Says

Old 12-10-2015, 09:37 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Except if you are older, it is actually to be a little bit overweight. Emphasis on a LITTLE bit, like 10 -15 lbs.
Isn't that mostly because of the risk factors like Osteoperosis, and the fact that you're more likely to fight off an illness with a little fat reserve?

Old 12-11-2015, 03:22 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Isn't that mostly because of the risk factors like Osteoperosis, and the fact that you're more likely to fight off an illness with a little fat reserve?
Yes^^. And my doctor told me this. I believe that is why under normal circumstances people gain a little when they are older.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:36 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
I was always underweight. Nothing was wrong, it was just the way I was. But I would rather have been normal weight. When you are underweight and you get sick, you lost even more weight and I think you get weaker. I agree that when you get much older, as in about 60 years old, it's better to be a tiny bit overweight than to be underweight to prevent osteoporosis. But of course, if you are too much overweight, you get arthritis in your knees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness