U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 12:40 PM

1,605 posts, read 2,125,400 times

Advertisements

I didn't have significant menopause symptoms (thank God!!) but I also learned about and used progesterone cream early on. For me it shed water retention immediately, balanced my outlook, helped me clean house (literally) with its 'nesting' influence.

And I witnessed other ladies have recorded bone density increase and resolved incontenence (one was about to have corrective surgery for it).

For $20 and OTC, it's easy to try and see if it gels with you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 06:49 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 10 days ago)

54,474 posts, read 42,666,398 times
OP, it sounds to me like you're entering perimenopause.

I had very regular periods till I was about 38. Then they became CRAZY within a few months, and it seemed like I was bleeding all the time. This went on for months and at first my doctor just said it was early menopause (which my mother also had), but the bleeding became worse. My estrogen levels were out the roof. Finally I had a vaginal ultrasound which showed that my uterine lining was very overgrown. We tried a D & C, but it was ineffective - the lining just immediately grew at a very abnormal rate again, within just about two months. I also had several abnormal pap smears - not cancerous but abnormal. Finally my doctor said, "You know - you don't have cancer but every case of uterine or cervical cancer starts this way." She gave me the option of a complete or partial hysterectomy. Since my aunt died of ovarian cancer, we decided just to do the complete hysterectomy, at age 40.

The day after the surgery, my doctor came by my room and said, "How are you feeling?" I burst into tears and said, "I feel better today than I have for two years." And it was the truth.

I had one hot flash. One. In the hospital. I took the lowest possible dose of estrogen for about 5 years. By my mid forties, I figured that my mother and aunts had gone through menopause in their mid forties, so I would taper off the estrogen - I didn't like the studies showing links to HRT and later issues, and I'm not at high risk for osteoporosis. My doctor agreed.

I simply never had hot flashes or mood swings or anything like that. I also never had significant PMS either so maybe there's a connection. Anyway, now I am 53 and what I've noticed is that my midsection has thickened a bit. I don't like that, but that's a common side effect past menopause. My libido is not what it used to be but it's not completely gone. I haven't noticed much of a change in my skin, other than the expected changes that age brings. My skin is good and not dry. My very curly, very thick hair is now smoother and not quite as thick, but believe me, I had plenty to spare so this is actually a positive! Overall I'd say I'm happy menopause and life afterwards.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:09 AM

6,364 posts, read 4,911,610 times
I think it all depends on each person as to who should go on HRT. I know I wouldn't be able to function without it. My hot flashes were hellish during the day and even worse at night. Everything soaked and sweat dripping literally off my nose and eyebrows.

I am on a low dose, but I still get hot flashes at night (usually 2). I have to use KY jelly (pretty dry down there) and I don't get the pleasure I used to, but hey, that's life.

As I started into my 40's, I was looking so forward to having no periods, but I can honestly say that after 10 years of menopause, I'd FAR rather have had 10 years of periods, rather than this.

We have periods every month for years, carry around huge bellies full of baby, give (ouchy) birth, have leaky milk engorged boobs, stretch marks, end up with pot bellies, slow metabolism, and then we get menopause to top it off. Thanks a lot! LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness