Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 11:13 PM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times

Advertisements

When I have done investigations online, they all seem to be subject to some variation. The most accurate are the doctors mercury ones I believe but they have to be regularly checked and balanced for atmospheric pressure or something similar. The comments I have seen on Amazon mostly say that folks get them checked at the doctors office and they nearly always are out by a bit.

As far as I can see, the idea is to get one and stick with it and then from day-to-day you will probably know if your BP is up or down relative to your own machine. I dont think there is a definitive reading for these things, even on the same person my readings vary from left to right arm and I dont see why they should if I only have one heart ! Maybe someone can explain that one? Perthaps I have blockages somewhere?

Even the (mostly Omron) models in the surgery have some similar comments against them being out against the doctors mercury one, so I guess that each surgery knows their own Omron machine and how it performs and uses that as a general indicator of patient BP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 10:44 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Thanks for the suggestions.

I mainly want one to check for trends and give me some feedback. My blood pressure has been normal at the doctor's office; but high blood pressure runs in my family.

So far, I have normal BP, but I definitely want to keep an eye on it, especially b/c everyone in my family is currently taking bp meds. I workout regularly and try to keep a health diet. This is just one more tool to keep me on track.

Old 12-26-2015, 10:45 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,937,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
I have an Omron that runs on AA batteries or with an adapter that it came with. It also has memory, but I don't use that feature. One feature I do like is that it shows when your heart rate is irregular. I didn't know what that meant the first couple times it showed on my reading, but when I ended up in the hospital a few days later, I learned that I was experiencing A-fib. Thankfully, I haven't seen that symbol again since they got me back in sinus rhythm and on meds to control it.

I will try to edit this post later and provide the model number.
Wow, that is really scary. I'm glad things are better for you now.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:22 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Wrist monitors cost almost as much as cuffs, and most users complain that it is very difficult to get it positioned correctly. So to me, for home use, I was willing to pay a little more for the cuff version.

The first one I bought lasted about six months and then the on-off switch crapped out, so I had to replace. I bought the cheapest I could find and I expect something similar will happen, but never mind.

It's typical of the current trend in global economics to make the cheapest product. How much does a Chinese power switch cost to the manufacturer -- two cents? For four cents they could have bought switches twice as reliable and durable, and raised the price of the product from $16.87 to $16.89. For two cents, they made the choice that consigned their entire output to a warehouse full of useless junk, instead of affordable appliances. The wave of the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness