Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 10:18 AM

565 posts, read 432,884 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, too much is when booze interferes with your day to day living and causes problems in your life. For some it may be a 12 pack a day, and for some drinking too much once a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 11:00 AM

194 posts, read 238,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
A pint of what? I know you said vodka in the OP, but I've never seen anyone drink hard liquor by the pint. By the neat glass, or even out of the bottle (which is something of a sign in itself). But a pint of beer is absolutely standard. A pint of vodka is, well...quite a bit.

And as mentioned, if it's affecting a relationship, that's breaking rule 2 of my earlier post. It may not mean you're an alcoholic (having one drink will bother a SO that is against drinking), but if affects your relationship, it's a problem. Said person would need a new relationship, or cut the drinking down to a point that it no longer affects the relationship negatively. The priority is up to the person themselves.
Sorry, a pint of vodka. The vodka is usually mixed with a soda.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:10 AM

988 posts, read 682,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasperJade View Post
Nah. As long as you're not taking meds that interact with alcohol or have another health condition that makes alcohol inadvisable (ie., non-alcoholic fatty liver disease), one drink a day is pretty harmless and has even been shown to have health benefits.

A drink a day linked to healthy aging - CNN.com

One alcoholic drink a day could lower heart disease risk - CBS News
I followed your link to the CNN article. I didn't have time to read the other one. One question that wasn't answered for me was, "Who are the teetotalers?"

Many of the people I know who don't drink at all have a history of alcohol abuse. They would show up in a study like this as teetotalers, but their bodies have already been damaged by alcohol. So there's a chance the study is showing that people who have one drink a day are healthier than people who either currently drink heavily or used to drink heavily. There are definitely people in the world who have never drank at all, but I would think that a garden-variety collection of teetotalers would include a fair number of people who know their way around a bottle-opener.

I'm sure the researchers tried to take this factor into account, and I may be way off here. But even if they did try to take this factor into account, it would depend on self-disclosure. All of the teetotalers with a history of alcohol abuse would have had to declare that to the researchers, and that likely didn't happen. I'm not questioning the validity of their findings as a whole, just wondering out loud about the methodology. I wish they had answered this question in the article. Best.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:11 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,306 times
I have one alcoholic drink per year: and it's usually champagne or spiced egg nog...and this is only during the holiday season.

My boyfriend doesn't drink at all...and I mean, never, ever, ever.

This has also been true of all of my exes.

So for me, my threshold for myself and my significant others is low, in terms of alcohol consumption. That's just us and what we are comfortable with.

I have to say that as an ER doc, there are a lot of people who have underlying alcohol abuse issues...a lot. I work in an inner city emergency room and I promise you it' isn't the drug junkie or homeless person struggling the most. The most, from what I've seen over the past 6 years, is usually white collared or upper class folks. Nevertheless, most will brush off how much they consume and how frequently they consume it. Most people will rarely admit to drinking alcohol every day. Most will never admit that if they stop, they get "the shakes."

So, caveat when asking this of a potential mate...

Old 12-18-2015, 11:18 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welby1205 View Post
Is it a beer every night? Couple times a week? A glass of wine every night? A bottle? How about a pint of vodka a couple times a week and 2 fifths on the weekends?

I know this seems like a weird place for me to post this, but it is pertaining to someone in my life. I do not care to go into details, but just wondering opinions on "how much is too much"?

Thank you.

1) Whenever it becomes THE prime moment in any day excluding sex
2) When it trumps sex
3) More than 3 drinks in any 24 hour period on a consistent basis
4) You notice it actually is affecting your savings
5) When you raise your hand in anger
6) When you raise your voice in anger under the influence
7) You get a DUI
8) Your friends comment
9) You wake up with a stranger and nooooo idea of how he/she got there
10) You wake up with your SO's friend and have noooooooo idea of how he/she got there
11) You wake up with the neighbor's spouse and have nooooooo idea of how he/she got there
12) You wake up in jail and have noooooo idea of how you got there
13) You wake up at a friend's house and have noooooo idea of how you got there
14) You wake up at a strangers house and have nooooo idea of how you got there
15) You wake up at a woman's house with a young kid staring you in the face 10 inches away and don't recall she had children

Etc....etc....etc.......yeah, I'd say you have a bit of a drinking problem and should probably look into it. For me? Decades ago I simply didn't want to wake up feeling bad and pretty much gave it up. It was never that much fun anyway. Costs a lot too.

I think anyone knows when they have a drinking problem. The real test is whether or not they will do anything about it. It's just not that much fun. People should give it up before it has dire consequences.

Old 12-18-2015, 11:33 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,043,463 times
Someone called me an alcoholic spinster once, which just made me laugh. Sometimes I do go overboard and get really hammered, but only in situations that I know it won't matter. Otherwise, I limit it to one or two drinks here or there, and usually don't have anything on work nights.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:11 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Everyone who is a problem drinker has 100s of ways of denying they have a problem at their fingertips. Why waste the effort in answering the OP's question?

Old 12-18-2015, 12:36 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I drink about a 6-pack a day, sometimes more. But I get up every day and go to work, I volunteer with the homeless, I pay all my bills, and have an awesome family that loves me.

When I think of someone who drinks too much, I believe it is when the drinking consumes your life and you no longer have a good relationship with your family, your work is suffering, you make an ass out of yourself at parties, etc.

It's relative.
Agreed.

I just drank 3 beers at a work lunch and don't even have a buzz. it all depends on the individual person.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:39 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Agreed.

I just drank 3 beers at a work lunch and don't even have a buzz. it all depends on the individual person.

Probably wouldn't give me a buzz either (esp if crap beer), but this isn't something to brag about. It's not an image anyone would want to convey to their coworkers or bosses if one cared about their career.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:40 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welby1205 View Post
Are you guys getting drunk? Is this on the weekends?
I have probably only been drunk, like really intoxicated, once in the last 5 years. I just had three beers and do not even have a buzz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness