Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:25 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,725,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
Ciprofloxacin was mass produced when we had the anthrax scare to be available if we were hit with a chemical attack. Used also for a medication I believe for bacterial infections. Non the less I can't take it as sends my stomach into fits causing horrible reflux. I wonder how many health issues have started over the decades with the usage of antibiotics and other drugs. Decided with my last sinus infection to check on a home remedy saving me from a Dr bill and prescription. Ciprofloxacin was the medication, but followed the home remedy. Worked well and should have started it sooner. Will keep my unused ciprofloxacin to use in case of anthrax. FYI if you are on any meds to treat blood pressure,diabetes,and other health issues make sure you check with your doctor when taking supplements of anything. I have wasted money over the years on them as they didn't mix well with meds I was on. St. John's Wart was one of them. If dr.Oz isn't your physician you need to take the advice of your Dr.
St. John's Wort doesn't get along with a lot of prescription meds, but many other herbal supplements are fine to take when you're taking other meds. My doctors sometimes haven't even heard of the supplements that I'm taking and they'll ask what they're for, so I don't rely on them to check for interactions between my supplements and my prescriptions, I do my own research.

What did you take for your sinus infection? Oil of oregano is good for infections but it's usually as hard on my system as antibiotics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 07:38 AM

10,181 posts, read 6,228,722 times
I got double vision from taking Cipro. Fortunately, it went away after a couple of months. My Dad was severely allergic to Penicillin which I have no problem with. Maybe I inherited my allergic reaction to (different) antibiotics from him? I suppose if allergies run in your family you just need to be more careful.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:23 PM

9,487 posts, read 16,380,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
my doctor put me on ciprofloxacin and tamsulosin(flomax), since i dont like to take pills,(i dont even like to take aspirin) i was curious about the side effects and went on some websites were patients can give reviews about medication.The reviews were horrible, about 80% said they were very dissatisfied, flomax did a little better, but both sound not much better than taking rat poison, one lady wrote that it took here over a year to get over the side effects and another said he was ruined for life. If this medication was this bad it would have been taken off the market years ago, my guess is that the people who had the worst side effects are the ones commenting and thats scewing the results in that direction.My question is -has anybody out there taken these meds and what are your opinions about the side effects, its just because i get up a few times in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom but if the side effects are this terrible Ill just put up with getting up at night ,thanks everyone for your time.

I can probably give you some info on this, as I've been dealing with both these drugs for sometime. I deal with Prostrate Infections (UTI's whatever they want to call them). This latest one started in late Oct and I was put on Cipro. In Nov infection is in high gear again, put on another 2 weeks of it. Now Dec comes around symptoms return. It is found Cipro is not killing the infection so now i'm on Nitro. another antibiotic. I did not have side effects on Cipro. I have been on it off and on since 2004. It no longer is working for me though. At least with this particular infection. Prostrate problems are a very difficult to deal with. I never seem to know if I have Prostratitis or a UTI.

Flomax I have been on it for 2 years. I honestly don't see any benefit from this drug, but the Urologist says I would be worse off without it. If your getting up a few times a night and its a continuous pattern. That is definitely a sign of a few problems. One is an enlarged Prostrate. Or an infection is building or is in full swing. It also can signal Diabetes or Pre Diabetes.

The only reason a patient is put on Cipro is when an infection is present. There is no other reason that drug is given, as it is a powerful antibiotic. I'm sure you had to give a urine sample before these drugs were prescribed. When a urine sample is given a culture is taken, which confirms the infection and what type of bacteria is causing it. That culture usually takes a few days before the results are back.

Some people do have side effects from Cipro, and others do not. I can't really say I had any that were bothersome. I just wanted the damn infection to go away.

Floxmax does have side effects and most men will have them. Perhaps different degrees of effects but none the less, I don't think one can escape them. If I were you I would look up Flomax on the Net and research the info, then you will have a good idea of the side effects. However do not put so much effort into research that you develop every side effect listed. That can happen just by thinking about it.

My guess with you is. The doctor suspects or has already determined you have an infection. So you have been put on Cipro. I don't know but I would think a prostrate exam has been given, and a blood test for your PSA score. The results must have led the doctor to believe Flomax is in your best interest right now. As it helps at least in early stages to help you urinate less, and easier. Which in turns helps prevent infections from happening. At least in the early stages of Prostrate troubles.

I hope this info helps, although its probably all jumbled up. I haven't been feeling all that well as this infection is starting to wear me out. You don't want to get to this point, so do as your doctor says. Try to delay the inevitable. As a guy many of us will have to learn, to live our life dealing with the annoying Prostrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness