Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 10:36 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times

Advertisements

So had some type of gastrointestinal issue's Wednesday through Friday. Then come Friday came down with a upper respiratory cold that turned into a chest cold that finally cleared up Monday.

I felt fine Tuesday. Come close to midnight Wednesday drink some water and started choking on it. Since then throat has been sore feels like it is on fire. Wouldn't say it is painful to swallow. Cold liquids hurt going down, but tea and coffee feel great. Difficult to eat food again not painful feels like I am choking, think the throat is swollen.

I feel perfectly fine no cold like symptoms, chills, doesn't hurt to talk, fever, aches, and so forth. Only odd thing is excessive sweating and thirst. On average I drink about 80 ounces of water, one diet soda, and two cups of coffee. Today about 130 to 140 ounces of water, three tea's, and four cups of coffee.

Doc is closed till Monday. Really want to avoid racking up the bill's by going to Urgent Care or the ER.

Any home remedies can recommend?

Haven't taken it in a day, but going to take Alka Seltzer night time cold med, some hot sinus sleepy time tea, maybe put some Vicks rub on my throat area, use some Cloraseptic, and a hot towel over my throat area tonight.

Also odd thing to mention end of the cold after maybe 6 month's had pimples on my back of my neck leading up to the cold. Disappeared end of the cold neck pain my sebaceous cyst reappeared again.

Appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 10:43 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
If you think your sore throat might be caused by drainage from the cold you're getting over, taking an allergy med like zyrtec or allegra to help dry you up might make you feel better.

I think the cold and the sebaceous cyst are probably coincidence.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:36 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
A warm salt water gargle can soothe.....not too much salt....about 1 tablespoon into 12 or so ounces of water....don't swallow it!

If you're having drainage, get one of those "netti-pot" nasal washes...they really work on cleaning out your sinuses! It will reduce the drainage considerably!

Old 12-24-2015, 07:52 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
Salt water gargle is great.

Old 12-24-2015, 07:59 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times
I'm not a doctor. This is not medical advice, just what I do.

I mix 1/4 cup fresh hydrogen peroxide the first aid section in Target, Walmart, Walgreens, etc., with 3/4 cup hot water, as hot as I can stand, without burning myself. I gargle with that for at least 5 minutes.

One hour later, I gargle with hot salt water, again being careful not to burn myself. Try for at least five minutes.

I do that for 8 or so hours. If that's not working out, at least gargle every two hours.

Keep that up for three days.

***If***

- You start to run a fever - see a doctor
- Your throat hurts even worse than before (is not getting better after 2 days) - see a doctor
- You have any other concerns - see a doctor

But when I have a sore throat associated with a cold, this routine helps me.

Hope that you feel better soon!

Old 12-24-2015, 09:04 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
Ginger root and lemon grass tea with honey.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:13 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Honey and Ginger root tea with lemon juice.
I was going to say warm water with honey but this sounds even better. The honey is a time honored remedy for sore throat. Don't drink or eat anything after the honey but let it coat the throat.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:39 PM

19,514 posts, read 9,537,245 times
When I get a sore throat, I would make a good hot tea and add a bit of honey to it.

Old 12-24-2015, 09:49 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Honey.

Or my fave concoction:

Chamomile tea with honey and scotch

Old 12-24-2015, 10:16 PM

22,168 posts, read 19,217,049 times
whether i'm sick or not
every morning first thing every day
drink a tall glass of water (16 oz) with lemon juice in it, or lime juice or both
i buy those bottles of lemon juice and lime juice from the store

when i'm actually sick, i make it stronger with more lemon juice and drink it 2-3 times during the day

also.....we have found that hot and sour soup is a great remedy
a quick and easy way is with top ramen and add to it: soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, and hot chili oil
mmmmm....

i had a friend who did hot tea with fresh ginger and cayenne added, but it had too much of an edge for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness