Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2015, 06:11 AM

26,937 posts, read 43,449,157 times

Advertisements

I have been recently diagnosed with Gout and after a couple of flares have settled down thanks primarily to switching over to Allopurinol. However in my research into the best diet and what to eat/not eat I have run into some serious contradictions regarding purines (the element in food that causes gout inflammation for those susceptible). The premise it seems is the higher the fat count the higher the occurrence of purines, yet low fat options from the "avoid" list such as Pork for example are still considered bad options. If one is having a lean cut of Pork such as tenderloin or loin chop which roughly equals the fat content of Chicken (on the "good" list), how is that still "bad"? It seems there isn't a whole lot of good information (i.e. lacking in research) for the public to check out and was hoping someone who suffers with Gout has found a study or article that better explains variances within certain foods, or is a bit more thorough overall than what I've found so far. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2015, 11:20 AM

7,480 posts, read 13,499,633 times
In 1994 I was diagnosed with gout after 2 major attacks. Have been on 300mg allopurinol since then. I too found that listings of foods to avoid were contradictory. Early on, beef or wine would still cause twinges, but pork and chicken were good. Years later now, still on RX, but can have beef or wine occasionally. It seems as along as the allopurinol keeps my uric acid levels below 6, I don't have to watch food intake too religiously.

So maybe for you a bit of experimentation may find what foods work for you, and have blood tests for uric acid levels done to see how effective the drug is.

Good luck.........

Old 12-27-2015, 07:22 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,945,867 times
The Allopurinal should keep you stable....hubby had gout, and has been on Allopurinal for YEARS...no more flares....no major dietary restrictions, either.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:14 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,635,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
However in my research into the best diet and what to eat/not eat I have run into some serious contradictions regarding purines (the element in food that causes gout inflammation for those susceptible).
That is correct.

Relatively little research has been conducted into the causes and treatments of gout. For something so common, its causes and treatments are poorly understood in the medical community.

Quote:
The premise it seems is the higher the fat count the higher the occurrence of purines
The premise about 'purines' is based on proteins causing gout. I don't consider the theory to be accurate, but I also cannot disprove it definitively. There is LONG list of foods that have purines, but I personally recommend ignoring any list based on the purine theory.

The best study I've seen, i'll see if I can dig up for you, but it was conducted several years ago. It tells you which foods are correlated positively and negatively with gout attacks.

summary:
http://www.health.harvard.edu/family...cting-gout-the

full study:
http://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa035700

Last edited by le roi; 12-30-2015 at 11:25 AM..

Old 12-30-2015, 11:20 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,635,191 times
Based on my accumulated knowledge of reading academic studies, I can give you a list of things I'm fairly certain of :

a. Foods that will probably cause gout:

Shrimp/shellfish
sausages/animal organs
red meat / beef / lamb
high-sugar drinks, like juice
alcohol
yeast

b. Foods that are likely to prevent a gout attack:
skim milk
(sorry, that's it.)

c. Foods that will reduce the swelling of your gout attacks:
blueberries (in small amounts, since the sugars can be problematic.)
black rice / "emperor's rice"
purple potatoes (south american.)

^ these all contain a natural anti-inflammatory compound.

Also : Colchicine / Colcris will stop a gout attack before it begins, if you time it properly. Some of the other newer, more sophisticated uric acid medications are powerful with negative side-effects, and probably something you only want to take if you're unable to manage your gout with diet.

Last edited by le roi; 12-30-2015 at 11:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness