Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 09:53 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,244,561 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had this? I have it now and am really suffering but the doctor said there's nothing to be done except to wait for it to resolve itself. I can't even wear a bra because any pressure around my rib cage is excruciating, and really struggling to do even basic housework. How do people cope with this?! Painkillers are doing sod all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 11:15 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I had to look it up. It sounds very painful. medicinenet.com suggests lidocaine patches, ice packs, and/or cortisone shots. Have you tried any of those?

I'm sorry you're suffering.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:47 AM

Don't know where I'd get lidocaine patches and wasn't offered cortisone shots. I've been trying warmth (hot water bottle) after I read that can help and it helps a tiny bit.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:55 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
You would have to get them with a doctor's prescription. My MIL uses them for her lower back pain. They are called Lidoderm. Anti-inflamatory meds might help as well.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:17 PM

The doctor wanted me to take anti-inflammatories as he said they're the best for it but I can't take them (asthma and stomach ulcer history). If it doesn't start getting better soon I think I'll go back and ask about those patches.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:04 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,859,038 times
A more convenient way of applying warmth to the area would be to put some dry rice in a cotton sock, tie a knot in the end and heat it in the microwave...usually a minute or two is enough, don't leave it unattended. Then you could tuck the rice pack into your shirt. It stays warm for a couple of hours usually, and is reusable. The only problem is sometimes the smell of rice will make you hungry

About the pain, sometimes we try to be brave and not tell the doctor how much something is hurting. If it's affecting everything you do all day and/or keeping you from sleeping, then you should probably go back and tell the doctor that. I've noticed that I'm always trying to act brave at the doctor's office and they tell me to take a few ibuprofen, but people who go in crying and wincing every time they move end up with more effective meds.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:41 PM

I could do with the smell of rice making me hungry as I've lost my appetite with this! It actually hurts more when I eat or drink, especially when I drink, I feel so much pain as it goes down my throat. Woke up far too early this morning with intense pain in my back - don't know if that's connected to this or not.

The doctor got me on pretty strong meds already but I should have something stronger leftover from a previous prescription - I'll see if that works better than my current meds and if it does then I can ask the doctor. No point waiting for an hour or so to see the emergency doctor if stronger meds don't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness