Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 04:46 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times

Advertisements

Don't over think it. Those doctors have seen the worst. It's something you have to do and it might save your life.

My doc was amazing. The whole procedure was very dignified, if that's possible. The attending assistants, everyone was awesome. I was out, then awake. Just get the person who is with you to listen hard to what they say after you wake up because the fog wasn't quite clear and I heard something that I didn't understand but it wasn't until later that I realized what was said.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:00 PM

19,016 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Fear? I had the best dreams ever, whatever it was they injected me with. he actually did both colo and gastro. As I "was so well sedated". Found a blue rubber band inside of me. Shows with a Pitri dish hidden behind his back, says - everything looks great, but this is what I found. He looked very proud. Was one of them green onion bands, holding several packs together. I eat a lot of salads.

Old 02-01-2016, 05:07 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Life-threatening complication from a colonoscopy here. People with severe diverticulitis can have a puncture due to the inflation of the bowel. There have been concerns about scopes that were inadequately sterilized between patients. All I was worried about was colon cancer, as a friend had just had surgery after his colonoscopy showed extensive cancer. So when I came home with a diagnosis of severe diverticulitis in all of my colon, I was relieved, not worried.

Four months later, I was admitted to the hospital with a puncture and a raging infection. I was sent home after four days with a home-IV and oral antibiotics. The doctor needed to get me healthy enough for surgery, so I stayed home for three weeks and then returned to school. I was trying to make it until the end of the school year, but I started getting worse rather than better. The doctor ordered my surgery six weeks after the initial rupture. My biggest fear was waking up to a colostomy bag, but fortunately I only lost a good segment of my colon and not the whole thing.

Three years later I have a severely restricted diet and chronic problems. After my follow-up colonoscopy at six months, I don't plan to ever have another one.

If you have signs of severe diverticulosis, you will want to be alert for complications which may not appear for quite some time.
I find it difficult to believe that the problem you had four months after the procedure was due to the colonoscopy.

People get diverticulitis without having a colonoscopy, and a "rupture" of the colon would be a surgical emergency, not something that could be postponed for six weeks.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:30 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
I had one 3 years ago, it was really nothing. I went on a liquid diet 2 days before I had to start the 'movi-prep' that stuff is gross, they told me to mix it with crystal light which didn't make it any easier to drink, it's just propylene glycol I'm not sure why they charge so much for it you can get a quart of USP grade propylene glycol for $10 but I had to pay $50 for that garbage. I put crystal light in it and can't even look at a package of that stuff without gagging. I refused sedation on the advice of a nurse practitioner who used to work in a colonoscopy clinic, she said the docs are more gentle and there is less danger of perforation if you are fully conscious. There was some cramping but it was completely bearable. It was really no big deal at all.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:59 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
ON my first one, the doc found 2 pre-cancerous polyps. No history of it ever in my long-lived family. Everyone died of something else, at ages 82 to 95. I should not have been at risk. But, there it was. So now I get tested more frequently.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:01 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I had one and I was out for a couple of minutes so missed it. The newer prep kits are much easier so even that wasn't bad. I left hungry and the friend driving me and I went straight out for a meal and then I went home and slept.

I'd be a lot more worried about what might be in your colon than the procedure ~ it could literally save your life!

Old 02-01-2016, 11:13 PM

22,822 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Have had 3, first time was given Versed and woke during the procedure,
fortunately the next 2 times they used Propofol and there was no problem.
Each time they found polyps to remove.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:23 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig z View Post
...I suffer from a serious case of " white coat syndrome " have had bad experiences with doctors in the past and never had much luck dealing with them , after 1 of them put me in the ER because of a medicine misdiagnosis. As far as I'm concerned they are all liars all of them...
I owe my life several times to doctors. Saved from colon cancer and skin cancer. Also saved as a dehydrated baby suffering from an allergic reaction.

I'm 53 years old, now, and have been getting "scoped" regularly (and sometimes it seems excessively!) since I was 15, when I was first found to have a large malignant tumor in my lower colon(sigmoid). Have had several more tumors since then and a couple of bowel surgeries/resections, too. Nobody wants to get scoped, but, today it really is nothing to worry about. And, it could very well save your life!

I was just again routinely scoped most recently in December 2015 and it was the easiest procedure yet! The prep, while still not something you'd seek out unless getting ready to be scoped, is nothing to be afraid of.

As I was awaiting the drugs to sedate me, my doc visited and told me that I would be receiving something new this time... propofol. I was told that it would knock me out but not last long, so that when I awoke I would be ready to get up and leave. Doc wasn't kidding! In the past I would be groggy to different degrees and often would be able to speak with my doc during the procedure. I've even followed along once or twice using the "teacher". This time, I remember watching the drug flow through the IV tube and into my arm... and then it was lights out until I awoke, feeling none too groggy and basically ready to get dressed and leave!

Get scoped. Colon cancer is a leading killer. But, that's likely because so nobody wants to have a tube inserted into his/her anus. But, if you're going to have a cancer, colon-rectal cancer is the one to get! Slow forming/growing and easily detectable... PROVIDED YOU GET SCREENED!

Last edited by Salmonburgher; 02-02-2016 at 05:31 AM.. Reason: corrections

Old 02-02-2016, 06:56 AM

34,994 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig z View Post
Hello all ,
So I just turned 50 and went for my 500,000 mile check up as I call it and my doctor suggested a colonoscopy & endoscopy to complete my check up and froze me in my tracks . Scheduled for mon . Feb 1st . 7:00am . My hole life I have delt with the basics , stitches , cast the basics for a guy never anything this intrusive ever , I suffer from a serious case of " white coat syndrome " have had bad experiences with doctors in the past and never had much luck dealing with them , after 1 of them put me in the ER because of a medicine misdiagnosis. As far as I'm concerned they are all liars all of them .
I know this is something I need to do but honestly I'm seriously horrified out of my mind , especially reading about the procedure on the net it's after effects Etc .....
Has anyone else ever delt with this type of fear ? And plz share how did u do it

Thanks
I had to start younger than you, at age 42. My Dad died of colitis-induced cancer at age 47. Fortunately that etiology of cancer isn't genetic, but ironically my mother's death from uterine cancer at age 82, does spread down to males in the form of susceptibility to colon cancer. I have now had four colonoscopies since.

As far as how bad they are it all depends on the preparation protocol and the amount of anesthesia used. Mine have been a mixed bag; numbers 1 and 3 pretty copacetic, and 2 and 4 a bit more problematic. All eitehr clean or with minor polyps.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:07 AM

698 posts, read 959,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
Am 63, and have had two colonoscopies.

The last time I found myself on the table, naked except for the hospital shirt that can't be buttoned no matter what, my knees pulled up to my chest, a nurse standing next to me with some probey looking thing in her hand, when the Dr., who was trying to be upbeat, asked me if I had anything to say.

"Yeah Doc, if while you're in there you come across my dignity, please let me know."
That's terrible, I would have asked for more sedation or see a different doc next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness