Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 07:24 AM

1 posts, read 3,371 times

Advertisements

Hello all ,
So I just turned 50 and went for my 500,000 mile check up as I call it and my doctor suggested a colonoscopy & endoscopy to complete my check up and froze me in my tracks . Scheduled for mon . Feb 1st . 7:00am . My hole life I have delt with the basics , stitches , cast the basics for a guy never anything this intrusive ever , I suffer from a serious case of " white coat syndrome " have had bad experiences with doctors in the past and never had much luck dealing with them , after 1 of them put me in the ER because of a medicine misdiagnosis. As far as I'm concerned they are all liars all of them .
I know this is something I need to do but honestly I'm seriously horrified out of my mind , especially reading about the procedure on the net it's after effects Etc .....
Has anyone else ever delt with this type of fear ? And plz share how did u do it

Thanks

Old 01-30-2016, 10:15 AM

7,517 posts, read 13,624,634 times
What "after effects" ?
I've had 3 colonoscopies and 1 endoscopy, and had no "after effects" from any of them. The prep for each can be annoying, but really no big deal. You are sedated and should not feel a thing.

Put your big boy pants on and get them done. Colon or esophageal cancer is nothing you want to risk.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:42 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
I just had an endoscopy a week and a half ago and honestly, there's virtually no prep except not eating or drinking after midnight (I had a morning appointment). I did have to hire someone to drive me and wait, but that was expected due to the anesthesia. I had no sore throat afterwards and the doctor gave me immediate feedback except for the results of the biopsies he did. Easy-peasy. A colonoscopy is not much more stressful, as the prep has changed significantly in recent years. No more gallons of nasty stuff. I only had to drink 2 things the night before, then one glassful the morning of the procedure. The worst part was the gas I had afterwards - oy! BTW, for both procedures, the anesthesiologist warned me that the propophol would sting, but it never did. Instant "out" with rapid recovery of consciousness. Believe me, on the scale of diagnostic procedures, these two fall in the low-end range for fear and high-end range for benefits!

Old 01-30-2016, 10:59 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
I have had several colonoscopys and I was always sedated but was awake and able to watch the images on the TV.

One time a got to watch the doctor remove a polyp.

The only reason to refuse a colonoscopy is if you already have your head up your ass.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:10 AM

753 posts, read 1,104,823 times
I've had about half a dozen colonoscopy procedures, and the usual "after effect" for me is that I am hungry and treat myself to a nice meal with a yummy dessert. :-)

The prep is a lot more uncomfortable than the actual procedure. You do that at home in advance of the procedure -- usually a diet of clear liquids only for a day, then you have to drink 2 doses of a strong laxative the night before. You will spend a lot of time in the bathroom that night; make sure you are comfortable there with something to read or otherwise occupy yourself with for an hour or two after each dose. After the first dose, it may not seem like you have anything left for the second one, but don't be tempted to skip it -- you'll probably be surprised, and if you do not do the full cleanout you are sort of wasting the whole process because the doctor won't be able to see everything.

When you get to the clinic or hospital for the procedure, you change into a hospital gown and they put an IV into you (for the sedative or anesthesia). If you need to use the bathroom again before they start, don't be afraid to ask -- they are prepared for that. You lay down on your left side, they start the sedative, and you basically don't feel anything until they are waving a hand in front of your face and asking if you are awake yet. You get a little while to wake up, then you get dressed and somebody can take you home (they do not let you drive yourself after having been sedated).

The last time I asked to have the procedure without any anesthesia or sedation because I basically needed an emergency colonoscopy (to look for cause of GI bleeding), and couldn't arrange a ride on such short notice. Here's a little secret: it does not hurt at all! Sedation is routine because they know many patients are nervous about the procedure and it is faster and easier for the doctors to do it when you are knocked out instead of nervous and fidgeting and flinching at everything they do. I actually found it very interesting -- knowing that I was fully awake and alert, the doctor positioned the screen so I could see it, and explained everything as he went along ("here is your old surgery scar, and here's a little polyp; it doesn't look cancerous, but I'll remove and biopsy it anyway....").

Hopefully this will help. Let me tell you this, too: a colonoscopy that can detect and treat early signs of colorectal cancer is a *lot* less intrusive and painful than having surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy after it's already developed and spread.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:43 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
I've had about half a dozen colonoscopy procedures, and the usual "after effect" for me is that I am hungry and treat myself to a nice meal with a yummy dessert. :-)

The prep is a lot more uncomfortable than the actual procedure. You do that at home in advance of the procedure -- usually a diet of clear liquids only for a day, then you have to drink 2 doses of a strong laxative the night before. You will spend a lot of time in the bathroom that night; make sure you are comfortable there with something to read or otherwise occupy yourself with for an hour or two after each dose. After the first dose, it may not seem like you have anything left for the second one, but don't be tempted to skip it -- you'll probably be surprised, and if you do not do the full cleanout you are sort of wasting the whole process because the doctor won't be able to see everything.

When you get to the clinic or hospital for the procedure, you change into a hospital gown and they put an IV into you (for the sedative or anesthesia). If you need to use the bathroom again before they start, don't be afraid to ask -- they are prepared for that. You lay down on your left side, they start the sedative, and you basically don't feel anything until they are waving a hand in front of your face and asking if you are awake yet. You get a little while to wake up, then you get dressed and somebody can take you home (they do not let you drive yourself after having been sedated).

The last time I asked to have the procedure without any anesthesia or sedation because I basically needed an emergency colonoscopy (to look for cause of GI bleeding), and couldn't arrange a ride on such short notice. Here's a little secret: it does not hurt at all! Sedation is routine because they know many patients are nervous about the procedure and it is faster and easier for the doctors to do it when you are knocked out instead of nervous and fidgeting and flinching at everything they do. I actually found it very interesting -- knowing that I was fully awake and alert, the doctor positioned the screen so I could see it, and explained everything as he went along ("here is your old surgery scar, and here's a little polyp; it doesn't look cancerous, but I'll remove and biopsy it anyway....").

Hopefully this will help. Let me tell you this, too: a colonoscopy that can detect and treat early signs of colorectal cancer is a *lot* less intrusive and painful than having surgery, radiation, and chemotherapy after it's already developed and spread.
Pretty much right on, although I would add one suggestion and respectfully disagree with one of your comments. I'd suggest using a little vaseline or some other type of ointment on your anus between those very frequent BM's during the precolonoscopy prep, as otherwise it can get pretty irritated and very sore without some ointment protection. Sort of like having a good case of diarrhea and you get mighty sore along with the runs, and wiping yourself afterwards can make you see stars.

I don't know that I would suggest to anyone that the light anesthetic they use for a colonoscopy is overrated. Perhaps if one is very relaxed ( and I know I would not be) in such a setting, and has a high "discomfort"tolerance, one could make it through the colonoscopy without the light anesthesia they use. But they do blow lots of gas into your colon, and this is very uncomfortable as the nerves react to the colon walls stretching. They also report that there can be some pain or discomfort as they navigate the endoscopy tube from the descending to the transverse colon ( I guess there individual anatomic variations there and some people have constrictions in this area). And there might be a pinch or two in the event of a biopsy, or polyp removal. Nothing that you can't get through, I'm sure, if you can relax yourself and distract yourself enough from the task at hand. But most folks can't, or don't want the discomfort ( I'm one of them), so if there is a light anesthesia available, IMO why not take advantage of it?

Old 01-30-2016, 12:05 PM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig z View Post
Hello all ,
So I just turned 50 and went for my 500,000 mile check up as I call it and my doctor suggested a colonoscopy & endoscopy to complete my check up and froze me in my tracks . Scheduled for mon . Feb 1st . 7:00am . My hole life I have delt with the basics , stitches , cast the basics for a guy never anything this intrusive ever , I suffer from a serious case of " white coat syndrome " have had bad experiences with doctors in the past and never had much luck dealing with them , after 1 of them put me in the ER because of a medicine misdiagnosis. As far as I'm concerned they are all liars all of them .
I know this is something I need to do but honestly I'm seriously horrified out of my mind , especially reading about the procedure on the net it's after effects Etc .....
Has anyone else ever delt with this type of fear ? And plz share how did u do it

Thanks

Honestly I was so scared of the thoughts of a colonoscopy that I put it off for 10 yrs and had my first one done when I turned 60. And I listened to badgering about putting it off by my primary doctor, family members and friends and didn't budge. I guess it was so many repeated reports by people I knew about how it really was no big deal, you don't feel anything and the prep being the worst part of it that made me finally decide to just go ahead and do it. And I found out first hand, they were right. You don't feel it, the prep isn't wonderful but no big deal either, and the peace of mind knowing everything is ok is a good thing too.

I don't know of any aftereffects of a colonoscopy, really, other than a little flatulence shortly afterwards as you expel the gas they use to visualize the inside of your colon. I guess they routinely tell you, as a CYA practice, to not take any aspirin or blood thinners for 24 hrs afterwards, and to watch for signs of possible GI bleeding in the event they removed polyps or took biopsies, but the chances of that occurring are very slight.

Anyway, if you are like me you will still be leery of a colonoscopy even with all the reassurances in the world that it's not a bad experience, that is, until you discover for yourself that all that anxiety was misplaced. So in your shoes, I'd just go ahead, bite the bullet, and make the arrangements you need to get that colonoscopy. Then forget about it, go on with your life till it's time for the preliminary doctor visit, precolonoscopy prep, and so on. And good luck!

Old 01-30-2016, 12:18 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
The idea of it is mortifying to me as well OP. I had one, finally, after having a really bad stomach virus that left me so dehydrated I ended up with 2 bags of IV fluids pumped into me while hubby worried over me in the ER waiting room.

It IS invasive, on a very personal, intimate level. The idea of what they're doing - sticking a scope up your butt - is just - creepy. The idea that someone would intentionally, eagerly, go into this field of medicine - on purpose - is equally creepy. The whole concept just creeps me out to the extreme.

However, I ALSO acknowledge that it is a valid medical practice that has its place in my overall health and well-being. So I endured it.

The prep was nasty, but not nearly as bad as the month prior when I was constantly on and off the toilet for 8 days in a row (which is why I ended up in the ER).

There are a few different types of preps these days, I had the least "violent" of the bunch. A drink, icky tasting "wants to be Tang but fails miserably" powder I had to mix with around 2 cups of cold tap water late morning. It automatically turned itself warm, and I had to drink that down within a half hour. Then I had to drink 8 more cups of water between then and 6PM. Between that morning and 6PM, I spent the time going from my office (at home) to the bathroom every 15-20 minutes. By nightfall, I wasn't going much at all. Nothing to drink or eat after breakfast other than water and clear, uncolored liquids that day either, and I had to start the mixed powder 4 hours after my last meal so I ate breakfast at 6AM.

The next morning I had the second dose, followed by 4 cups of water within 2 hours. Then it was off to the hospital where they did the procedure. The people there were awesome - patient, empathetic, but firm and instructive. The fact that they were clearly "in charge" and I was giving over my control over the situation to them was actually a relief. I was less nervous as a result. Still mortified on general principal, but not as nervous about the whole thing.

They gave me the propophol (that was all they put in my IV) and around 30 seconds later I was in la-la land. IF I woke up during any of this, I have no recollection of it. They said I slept through the whole thing and I've no reason to doubt them. I woke up with one of the nurses talking about his taxes with one of the other nurses, I think. I'm pretty sure I posted about it here on CD somewhere.

I didn't feel sore anywhere at all. I wasn't dizzy or groggy, I felt like I had just woken up from a short nap. I wasn't bleeding, and they did a pretty good job at removing the IV from my wrist. I had a bruise there for around a week, and that was the worst of it.

After the procedure I went somewhere with my sister for lunch, since I hadn't eaten anything in over 24 hours and my digestive system had - very literally - nothing in it.

So - summary: The worst part was the anticipation and worry during the days leading up to the prep. The next-worse part was the 24 hours of the prep at home. The third worst - which was almost negligible - was being in the hospital waiting for them to put in the IV and all the questions and nurses checking my blood pressure and all that kind of thing. The procedure itself was totally and completely NOT memorable at all. It doesn't even earn a spot on the list.

Would I look forward to doing it again? Nope. I still hate the idea of it, I hate the intimate invasion of my body. But at least now I know what to expect, and I won't fear it anymore.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:26 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
You will not feel pain, thanks to sedation. You WILL feel sensations that tell you something is inside. It does not hurt.

The worst thing about a colonoscopy is not the procedure. It is the stuff you have to do beforehand. Avoid certain foods (not a big deal), fast the day before (big deal to me but not the end of the world), and drink that weird solution that makes you "void bowel contents" (unpleasant but not painful). You MUST follow their directions, since any fecal material left in you makes the job harder. I assume that could mean more "something is inside moving around" sensations. I followed their directions to a T and everything went smoothly. Right near me, I could SMELL poopy stinks coming from another patient who obviously had not purged well. So tell yourself you do not want the embarrassment of being that person.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:41 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
I was mortified about it, but it turned out to not be a big deal. I had an endoscopy at the same time and told the doc to make sure he used a different instrument. The worst was Movi-Prep and then afterwards I had to sit on the toilet for what seemed like an hour passing gas. It sounded like I was going to blast off and the nurse kept sticking her head in to make sure I wasn't going to fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness