Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 06:26 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The5thOfNovemner View Post
I brew my own vine and beer. I can be around alcohol and not drink. I can go out and limit myself to a predetermined couple of drinkd. the problem is Friday night when i am home, there is no reason to limit myself so i don't. I can forget to limit myself. as well. I can tell myself tonight is Friday night and I will not have more then 4 and none tomorrow. Next week i forget set a limit and drink to victorious resolution! />
If you are forgetting to limit yourself, your self-imposed limits have failed. The first step is dismantling your home brewery, if you are a binge drinker, beer and wine making is no longer a hobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 07:22 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
You've got to find some activities to do in your downtime that do not involve drinking. Binge drinking because you do not have anything better to do is "on you". Get some hobbies that do not involve making booze...Get out of the house. Volunteer for habitat for humanity or some such. Get a dog & go for walks. Go see you favorite musicians play. Get a part time job. Take a class at a community college.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:46 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Switch to Marijuana...Thank Me later.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:38 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
One thing I would do, as a heavy drinker myself who is correcting somewhat, is to not keep a full bottle of vodka or wine in the house. For me, any more than six beers in the house is just a license to get smashed. Over the past few weeks, I've kept less alcohol in the house, and when I don't have it, I don't go get it. =

Old 02-02-2016, 09:57 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
that's what exactly what i am looking to accomplish, brake an unhealthy pattern. I have quit smoking this summer by reading a self help book (Sometimes I smoke when I dream, I now need same attitude adjustment towards alcohol. It is a bad habit, and it I know how it developed from self medicating due to a psychological problem.

I have visited AA meetings 2 times, and I have a reinforced conclusion that these people deserve to be made fun off.
Basically a 70 year old woman takes the podium and with a voice of a heavy smoker says "I used to be a prostitute and alcohol is to blame !" That is my opinion of the whole AA.

I was born in the Soviet Union and I am called a drinker, where some people do not drink at all are called none-drinking persons. People with dependency issues are called alcoholics and then there are some people who are called drunks.

But yahh, looking for an idea for an attitude adjustment. I talked to my shrink, but I think he drinks more then 2 drinks a day 5 days a week. My Physician offered medicine that would make me puke at the smell of alcohol and has nasty side effects. I just have to remember to stop after 3 drinks (when i don't have to) I am 40, but i don't have any kids and I am divorced, i am a high energy guy, so this is exactly this, find a better way to spend my time.
Interesting you were born in the Soviet Union. I saw a documentary about the S.U. once where part of it dealt with the alcoholism problem there. It said a high % of the population are alcoholics, and a lot of others drink a lot, too. I wonder if there's a genetic thing to it? I think the documentary was tending to assign the cause more to depression in the S.U. You know, lack of opportunities, financial problems, weather, and other things.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:19 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Hi,

I am looking for some advice. I have a tendency to binge drink on the weekends (Friday and Saturday) and I don't notice how much I drink until I throw out the trash on Sunday. This is usually 1.5 liters (2 bottles of hard liquor like vodka and a six pack of beer, all my doing.) This amount is usual for me. if I switch to vine then it's 3 liters of wine (4 bottles).

When I am driving I remember to stop after 2 drinks but when I am not driving I don't even notice the amount. My drinking never been an issue, since I take care of all my business before i touch alcohol (I am not hungover at work, I do not neglect my chores ...) etc

I am looking for an attitude adjustment towards alcohol, since i don't have the gene for alcoholism.

i understand that there are places in the world where my drinking habits are not considered unusual. and many college kids do about the same (only i am close to 40 and need to start worrying about aging health).

thank you for your advice
I think the only advice is to make up your mind that you want to drink less and follow through, no excuses...I assume this is the "attitude adjustment" you're looking for, to drink less? Very easy to keep track of how many beers or bottles of this/that you drink. Like anything in life, there's no "trick" except your own willpower to want to do it or not. If you truly want to drink less, you'll make it happen. And who cares if there are places in the world that match your habit that you seem to want to change? The most important thing is what you want, not what others are doing/the path they chose with their life decisions.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:07 AM

1,386 posts, read 999,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Over the past few weeks, I've kept less alcohol in the house, and when I don't have it, I don't go get it. =
Hmmmmm , my experience has been if I don't have it I do go get it....

_

Old 02-03-2016, 07:15 AM

684 posts, read 713,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
You realize booze dehydrates you, right?
I was just talking to some-one yesterday. Apparently there is 2 schools on drinking. Some people drink every day but never more then 3 drinks a day and then there are northerners who squeeze the bottle dry when they drink. You do not stop drinking unless you go to sleep or run out of booze.

There is also a discrepancy in the term binge drinking. I come home from work and drink relatively low alcohol stuff, like beer. An idea of a mixed drink is a 1-2 shots of vodka in a beer mug topped with seltzer and juice from a whole lemon. Since I home by 6, I keep drinking it until 2 AM. In beer terms you drink 3 beers first hour and then 1.5 beers each hour after. Since you are drinking for like 8 hours, you end up drinking allot.

it sued to be I would tell myself, "tonight i am getting wasted" on certain nights. Now that switch is gone, I have to tell myself now "tonight I am NOT getting wasted".

I have low respect for Sossial Workers. I mean I understand where the theory is coming from. Just don't see a social worker as a medical scientist who practices science. "your lips are moving..." is what comes into my mind when I see a social worker.

I probably need to examine what is alcohol as a chemical, what it does for me and why do I need it? probably been abusing it out of pure boredom for so long that it became a norm.

With regards to AA. There are some people with genetic predisposition for alcoholism. maybe AA helps those. I don't think these people have a choice to drink or not to drink. In that regard hypnotizing yourself by repeating "Alcohol is evil and a the root of all evil" to the point of mass hysteria, might be a solution for you. But those cheap mind tricks do not work on me. Sossial workers have a significantly lower IQ then I do. It might help to work with a social worker and learn more about their mind tricks as the means of manipulation of others

To quit smoking I read a self help book that explained tobacco as chemical and what it does for me. i am looking for something similar.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:26 AM

684 posts, read 713,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I think the only advice is to make up your mind that you want to drink less and follow through, no excuses...I assume this is the "attitude adjustment" you're looking for, to drink less? Very easy to keep track of how many beers or bottles of this/that you drink. Like anything in life, there's no "trick" except your own willpower to want to do it or not. If you truly want to drink less, you'll make it happen. And who cares if there are places in the world that match your habit that you seem to want to change? The most important thing is what you want, not what others are doing/the path they chose with their life decisions.
yes, but will power alone will lead to short term results. This is true for all including dieting. Analogy would be, you feel hungry, there is food around. How long will your will power last before you eat ? There is a step that I am missing. I have no problem telling myself to stop after 3 drinks, if i forget to tell myself i will finish the whole bottle.

To me 3 drinks is symbolic. I do not feel drunk or buzzed after 3 drinks. To limit myself to 3 drinks is the same as not drink at all. People are drinking at a party and you want to appear as a part of the crowd so you take 3 drinks making loud toast making sure every-one sees you drink....

Old 02-03-2016, 07:57 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
You are an alcoholic and you need to admit it.

There is no magic bullet or solution which you seek. Make fun of AA but you need it and you need to find a group near you where you can relate. Groups have different personalities.

Face it, You are a drunk and it's going to get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness