Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How much did moving somewhere sunnier help your SAD?
Definitely 5 38.46%
Somewhat 5 38.46%
Neutral 2 15.38%
A little 0 0%
Negligible 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-01-2016, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 14,185 times

Advertisements

I'm a 39 y/o male who's lived in Chicago for most of my life. I suffer from major depression and have since my teens. I rely on medication, exercise and other forms of self-care to keep myself stable.

My symptoms definitely get a lot worse during the darker months and have pretty classic seasonal affective disorder (SAD) on top of my usual depressive symptoms. My mood and energy start to plummet in September, reach their low in late December, and then make a very SLOW improvement through the end of spring. I'm always feeling at my best during the summer and on sunny vacations.

I've done my best to implement a lot SAD treatments each winter: Vitamin D, Lightbox therapy, early morning exercise, even UV tanning occasionally. Unfortunately, they only lead to limited and/or fleeting improvements. In fact, I feel like my SAD is getting worse every year.

I love Chicago, and the idea of moving away is scary. But I've been thinking of finally relocating somewhere sunny to see if I can make the other 3 seasons out of the year more bearable.

On the plus side, I'm not married or have a family to tie me down here. I certainly know there will be trade-offs to moving away (culturally, financially, socially, etc), but I'm hoping the benefits will outweigh the sacrifices after I settle down somewhere.

Have any of you been in my shoes and have any insight?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2016, 07:37 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,587,895 times
Moving from MA to CO did nothing for SAD because I was at work from sunrise to after sunset anyway.

The single biggest difference that helped was NOT working the standard office hours. I noticed it during vacations and when I took time off to study full-time. Despite being in classes afternoon and evenings, having daylight mornings to myself for hiking or biking first kept those blues away.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:04 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,578,877 times
Come to the Dallas area! We have long daylight hours (except for winter) and many sunny days. The economy is roaring, too.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:47 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,622,995 times
OP, now that we're full into Winter, it's a good time to get your bloodwork done. Ask your doctor to check your vitamin D levels, in particular.

During the winter months we northern-dwelling people don't have as much sun exposure as we do in the summer months. It's pretty common to have low vitamin D levels. And - low levels can contribute to depression and lethargy.

If it turns our you're one of those people who are low in vitamin D, then taking D can improve your mood. It won't help if your levels are already spot on, so don't go out and buy it unless you are genuinely low in it.

My doctor told me I was borderline low, in mid-autumn. She said I didn't need it all year round, but that in the winter I'd likely be fully into the "low" category and my overall health would benefit if I boosted it back up just a tech. So that's what I did. Just 400 units a day in the wintertime, nothing for it the rest of the year.

It does seem to have helped my mood for the past three winters but I can't say for sure if it's the vitamin D being back into normal levels that's doing it, or if the fact that I'm menopausal and my hormones are just not going nuts anymore is the thing.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:51 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,051,768 times
I do not have depression, but I spent a summer in the mountains of Oaxaca with little direct sun (kind of always at cloud level, grey).
I was doing a lot of physical activity in construction.

Still almost drove me nuts.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:29 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,983,187 times
My adult daughter had quite a problem with SAD during the gloom in Fall and winter in Chicago. She took some medication, gained alot of weight, so went off it. Then we moved to Phoenix and walla !! The amount of sun here is practically 99 percent. We even wish for some gloomy days and rain, for a change. It obviously helped her alot and she says she will never move back there for any reason. Besides the lack of sun, the dirty snow, rusted overpasses and old buildings in Chicago don't help to raise your mood.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:34 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,197,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy76 View Post
I'm a 39 y/o male who's lived in Chicago for most of my life. I suffer from major depression and have since my teens. I rely on medication, exercise and other forms of self-care to keep myself stable.

My symptoms definitely get a lot worse during the darker months and have pretty classic seasonal affective disorder (SAD) on top of my usual depressive symptoms. My mood and energy start to plummet in September, reach their low in late December, and then make a very SLOW improvement through the end of spring. I'm always feeling at my best during the summer and on sunny vacations.

I've done my best to implement a lot SAD treatments each winter: Vitamin D, Lightbox therapy, early morning exercise, even UV tanning occasionally. Unfortunately, they only lead to limited and/or fleeting improvements. In fact, I feel like my SAD is getting worse every year.

I love Chicago, and the idea of moving away is scary. But I've been thinking of finally relocating somewhere sunny to see if I can make the other 3 seasons out of the year more bearable.

On the plus side, I'm not married or have a family to tie me down here. I certainly know there will be trade-offs to moving away (culturally, financially, socially, etc), but I'm hoping the benefits will outweigh the sacrifices after I settle down somewhere.

Have any of you been in my shoes and have any insight?
I lived in Chicago and Arlington Heights till I was 27 and had the same exact problems as you, so I moved to SW Florida. NO MORE SAD. Best decision ever. It's been almost 3 years since I moved of endless summer. SW Florida might be the opposite extreme though, so you can always move to northern Florida or even moving somewhere like Atlanta would help a lot. Also take in consideration not just the temperature difference but that the days in SW Florida during the winter have over an hour more of sunlight then Chicago. In the summer time although our Florida sun is much stronger, our days are actually shorter then Chicago.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:43 PM

698 posts, read 1,008,481 times
Moving from a climate like Chicago to a sunny climate made all the difference for me.
No need for meds, lightbox, therapy, etc. Make a plan and move
You won’t regret it.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:07 AM

9,712 posts, read 7,537,199 times
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

Lived most of my life in the gray dreary midwest. For the last 20 years I have lived in New Mexico, southern CA and the Carolinas. Much, much better!

I still feel it on overcast days, but they are much rarer than the midwest. And I can spend lots of time outdoors year round now.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,617,949 times
I was raised in Chicago and remained there thru most of my 20s. I didn't realize how much the gloomy weather there effected me until I moved out here and literally felt consistantly alive for the first time in my life. Every now and then we will have a few consecutive dark days here and it just draws me into the abyss...seriously, I had no idea how real this was.

I do miss the holidays back home tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness