Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 09:58 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,752,745 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I just wanted some additional thoughts on this. I have two at home blood pressure cuffs. The ones that you can wear like a watch. Generally my be is high when I take my bp. The last handful of dr and dentist appointments my bp has been great. As a result, my dr decided to lower my bp meds. I asked him why my bp is high at home, but great at the dr office. He just said that usually the at home cuffs are a bit higher. I have tried several times thinking it could just be the time. Furthermore, I am at my grandmothers and tried it again and it was very high. I have had other people try the cuff right before and after me, and the readings seem accurate!

I put them on my wrist, and put my arm up and towards my heart. Despite my dr not being concerned that my bp is high at home, I am still concerned. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 01:20 PM

44,622 posts, read 61,590,826 times
1st of all BP changes frequently through out the day. I took mine last night 8 times within 2 hours and had 8 different readings. I just average them out.
2ndly all BP monitors are not exactly the same and some their adjustments can be off, especially after many many uses.
3rd, does your doctor take your BP at the same point as you do on the arm and is his BP monitor different than yours. All make a difference.
And last if your BP is within the normal ranges under 140/70 I wouldn't worry at all.

Old 02-03-2016, 01:58 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,782,361 times
Take your monitors with you next time you go to the Drs office. Take your own BP on your other arm at the same time they're taking it. That should give you some idea how 'off' either yours, or theirs, is.

Old 02-03-2016, 02:51 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadingedge04 View Post
Hello,
I just wanted some additional thoughts on this. I have two at home blood pressure cuffs. The ones that you can wear like a watch. Generally my be is high when I take my bp. The last handful of dr and dentist appointments my bp has been great. As a result, my dr decided to lower my bp meds. I asked him why my bp is high at home, but great at the dr office. He just said that usually the at home cuffs are a bit higher. I have tried several times thinking it could just be the time. Furthermore, I am at my grandmothers and tried it again and it was very high. I have had other people try the cuff right before and after me, and the readings seem accurate!

I put them on my wrist, and put my arm up and towards my heart. Despite my dr not being concerned that my bp is high at home, I am still concerned. Thoughts?
This is what I have: Robot Check

I take it to appointments and it gives readings that are identical to or very close to theirs. One of my doctors actually uses that cuff in his office.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:50 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
I had the same problem and my doctor told me that wrist cuffs can be notoriously inaccurate. he recommmended an Omron Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor. I bought one from Amazon and dont have to worry about high readings anymore.

This is the one I bought:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Old 02-07-2016, 08:36 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I had the same problem and my doctor told me that wrist cuffs can be notoriously inaccurate. he recommmended an Omron Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor. I bought one from Amazon and dont have to worry about high readings anymore.

This is the one I bought:

Robot Check

This. I have been reading a lot and the wrist cuffs are seriously off based on their location on the body. I got the Omron 5 series. It's so easy to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness