Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:33 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times

Advertisements

Have you ever came across impolite, cocky doctors? Can you share your experiences?

Back when I was 16, which wasn't that long ago, a doctor had to check my mouth or throat for bacteria. I was a bit resistant and I gagged for a bit. He was like to me "hey, don't fight! don't fight me!". I found it more funny than rude, but it was still a bit condescending.

Nowadays there is a doctor that I visit once in a while. He's just very argumentative and cocky. He's the "I'm always right" type of guy. On top of that, he didn't know what norovirus meant, that he had to look it up in front of me! He looked so humiliated when he found that it existed (his ego probably came crushing down too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 07:51 PM

862 posts, read 1,196,187 times
This goes back in time for me....March 1994. At the time I was working for a radio station in Northwestern Virginia who had just changed formats from classic rock ( Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Led Zep and the like ) to top 40 music which at the time meant Michael Bolton, Ace of Base, Janet Jackson and Madonna. Anyway I went to the eye doctor for a check up. Things were going just fine until he asked me where I worked at. Apparently he was a big fan of the classic rock my radio station had played and not only hated our new sound but started to yell at me saying how my radio station sucks and I was "damn stupid" for making the change. Yeah like that really would had been my decision to make. I just walked out of the office and never saw him again.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:44 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Doctor my Mother visited I tried. Went in for a discussion on a cyst another doctor had to cut open. He REFUSED to examine it (The area) and said "I don't get near guys ass" I left the office, the nurse was yelling "You need to pay!" I said "@#$%^ you and that jerk!"...Never get a bill and my Mother never went to him again.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:47 PM

2,508 posts, read 2,174,100 times
Well, not all doctors are bad - I've come across some good & even great ones.

However, I've also met plenty of rude, entitled, incompetent doctors who were basically clueless about medicine & very arrogant. They obviously think they're better than other people because they have fancy degrees & make a lot of $. Well, as far as I'm concerned many of their degrees should be used as toilet paper - that's all they're good for.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:54 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,552,551 times
Here's what has always bugged me about Doc's degrees...

I think it should be attached to the degree/their grades. The certificate should say whether they recieved A's, B's, C's, or D's...just like a report card when I went to school.

I want to know if the so-called Doc working on me is an A student or an C-minus student.
(passing) and that should be included in their commercials they are now allowed to place on the TV and air-waves.

Old 02-06-2016, 12:33 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I don't know that I've had rude MD's per se, but enough incompetant ones that have really turned me off to conventional medicine. I can think of at least two occasions where I wrote letters to the MD and to a hospital and did not pay copays. They got their money from medicare but didn't get my copays. What can they do, sue you? I don't think so.

I live with a botched/sloppy hip replacement and the surgeon is on to do more and more daily. He came highly recommended but whatever they did to my body on that table, I'm living with..Nerve Damage, shorter leg, IT band damage...

And thinking about my initial appt with this surgeon, he was quite arrogant and my friend who was with me agreed...but then I thought, well he's a good surgeon.

I've written my yelp review on my outcome and enough others talked about his arrogance and a couple others had negative outcomes too. At least I did something to stand up.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-06-2016 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: add

Old 02-06-2016, 12:57 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
Have you ever came across impolite, cocky doctors? Can you share your experiences?
Of course, but I have encountered impolite, cocky people in every profession.

Once when I complained of joint pain (and I was in my late teens/early 20s) my doctor, without even ASKING what I do, just said, "Maybe you should work out more." He said it with an attitude. Keep in mind---I was very physically active (I had been a HS athlete) and I have never been overweight in my life, so I'm not even sure why he would ASSume that I wasn't physically active---and not only that I walked EVERYWHERE because I live in the city and at the time I didn't drive.

Also, not a cocky or impolite thing, but it just took me by surprise because I wasn't expecting it. I went to the doctor because I knew I had conjunctivitis and needed a prescription. The doctor, who is only examining my eyes, out of no where asks if I am sexually active with multiple people. As much as I love the idea of possibly having an STI in my eye, I told him I'm married, so I only have one sexual partner. (And I definitely do not let sexual fluids get in contact with my eyeballs---though from my understanding, some infections are spread via autoinoculation.) And to be fair, if you work in a lab, you touch so many disgusting things I could imagine something ACCIDENTALLY happening.

And Terra, unfortunately that wouldn't always help, because you could have straight As and be a terrible doctor. I remember this girl I went to school with had really great grades and the things that came out of her mouth sometimes---.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:35 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Two years ago, my then 65 year old husband had a heart attack and went Code Blue 4 times. Before he was released, the hospital Cardiologist told him he had to have a Hep. B vaccination. My husband, who never minces words, said to him, "I am not a Drug Addict. After all I have been through, do you think I am going to run out of here and look for a Hooker?" I couldn't stop laughing, and neither could the female nurse in the room. Doctor didn't like what he said, or our laughing. He turned to ME and asked if I had had my own Hep. B vaccination? I told that doctor I was this man's WIFE, not an Elderly HOOKER, and YOU are not MY Doctor. This doctor threw my husband's chart on the floor and stormed out. I can only imagine what he said to the nurse in the room.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:37 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Here's what has always bugged me about Doc's degrees...

I think it should be attached to the degree/their grades. The certificate should say whether they recieved A's, B's, C's, or D's...just like a report card when I went to school.

I want to know if the so-called Doc working on me is an A student or an C-minus student.
(passing) and that should be included in their commercials they are now allowed to place on the TV and air-waves.
Don't know if this is still true, but it used to be that courses in many medical school programs were pass/fail.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:51 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Don't know if this is still true, but it used to be that courses in many medical school programs were pass/fail.
Most schools follow an Honors (H), High Pass (HP) and Pass (P) system. I think there might be some schools and/or specific courses that are Pass/Fail, but that often causes confusion and issues when candidates are assessed during the interview process for residency. For that reason, most schools have tried to follow a more consistent nomenclature. Schools vary in how difficult it is to get the coveted H and HP grades necessary to match into competitive residencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness