Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 09:59 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times

Advertisements

I have had severe rheumatoid arthritis for ~40 years. During that time I've tried every medicine, treatment, etc available. Nothing has worked very well and I've resorted to multiple joint replacements. They include 8 major replacements and about 10 smaller surgical interventions. These were done when there was absolutely NO alternative left, unless you call constant pain and disability---as in not being able to walk to the bathroom or cut your food---an acceptable alternative.

Seems ever since I've had RA I've had people chase after me with the most ridiculous "cures". The worse one was I was supposed to drink vinegar 3x day Sad to admit, I even tried some of these "alternative cures", to no avail.

But whenever I resort to a reconstructive surgery, I have people--friends, family, co-workers---literally scream at me the doctor just wants to make money off me WTH else do they suggest I do? Its not there's no good reason for doing the surgeries. Or my mother's favorite comment " he's just surgery happy". Like what else does a surgeon do?

Its not like I go around doing a survey asking everyone I know what they think about having such-and-such surgery. Usually its a done deal by the time most know about it. Still, I get that constant comment about how the doctor just "wants to make money". Of course he wants to make money, but there again, its not like there's no good reason to do it

Just venting, and wondering---does anyone else get such remarks about "surgery happy" surgeons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 10:29 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
I guess with all your treatments you gave abx therapy a good try. Low dose, long course from Dr. Brown. I've talked to many over the years who have had success with abx therapy. My neighbor now deals with RA for about a year and a sister of a good friend. I tried the abx therapy for a few months for OA and clumps of hair started coming out so I stopped.

I met the author of Rheumatoid Arthritis, The Infection Connection and she kinda convinced me to try the doxy for a few months.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:04 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I guess with all your treatments you gave abx therapy a good try. Low dose, long course from Dr. Brown. I've talked to many over the years who have had success with abx therapy. My neighbor now deals with RA for about a year and a sister of a good friend. I tried the abx therapy for a few months for OA and clumps of hair started coming out so I stopped.

I met the author of Rheumatoid Arthritis, The Infection Connection and she kinda convinced me to try the doxy for a few months.

OA osteoarthritis is NOT the same thing as RA--rheumatoid arthritis not even close!

But yes, I have done ABX therapy. I was on Minocin (Minocin is a tetracycline, same class of antiobiotics as ducocycline) for 3 months for a bone infection. During that time the RA symptoms abated a great deal, ironically, the diseases itself continued. A bad hip got worse during the ABX therapy and led to a hip replacement. By the time I had the hip replacement, my hip's surface had roughened to the point it was boring into the pelvis. What else could they do---besides the replacement? And yet I still had people say "the doctor just wants the money"

Currently I am under good control with Enbrel and Methotrexate, both weren't available back when I first got RA. But thanks for the suggestion, it might be of use for someone lurking here.

Last edited by MaryleeII; 02-09-2016 at 12:14 AM..

Old 02-09-2016, 05:15 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
I think the perception of "surgeon-happy surgeons" comes from patients, not from the surgeons themselves. In particular - ENT surgeons and Orthopedic surgeons. Why? Because both of them typically see patients for diagnostics, in addition to their "expected" surgical duties. When your hip hurts, the only time you go to a GP is to get a referral to an Ortho surgeon for a diagnosis, prognosis, and recommended treatment. Same with problems with your hearing, except the surgeon would be the ENT guy.

Surgery isn't always indicated, but because the doctor has that word attached to his titles, and because he does, indeed perform surgeries as part of his job, people have that expectation that they will always recommend surgery. They don't, but if you DO need surgery, they're the ones who will know, and who will recommend it, and who will perform it.

Usually - not always - when you go to a surgeon for a diagnosis, it's because you are expecting surgery as a potential medical treatment, so you go to the guy who does it. So it makes sense that often that treatment recommendation might involve surgery.

I went to an Ortho surgeon for a hip problem, and after tests, scans, and a shot of cortisone he concluded that no, I didn't need any surgery at all but to keep track of the problem and let him know if it becomes life-impairing. He told me that might or might not ever happen and if it did, probably wouldn't be for another ten years.

This is the same surgeon who repaired the ACL tear on my knee via arthroscopic surgery.

So - most people who need surgery - typically wind up getting their diagnosis confirmed by a surgeon. But as explained above, there are surgeons who are the -first- line of defense when you have a medical problem that you need diagnosed. An Ortho surgeon is the best person to have around when you need to find out what's wrong with your bones, whether you need surgery or not. An ENT surgeon is the best person to examine you to find out what's wrong with your inner ear pain, bulging neck lump, and a nose that's prone to spontaneous bloodbursts.

They're not surgery happy - it's just that they specialize in fields that typically require surgery as treatments, and they are the ones to both diagnose and perform.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:18 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

They're not surgery happy - it's just that they specialize in fields that typically require surgery as treatments, and they are the ones to both diagnose and perform.
I agree with Anon. The above summarizes the reality nicely, I think. Surgeons are trained and equipped to resolve an issue with surgical intervention, but that's not all they do, and a good surgeon is certainly not recommending surgery for all his/her patients. In fact, many good surgeons will pride themselves on being conservative about surgical intervention. Are there surgeons out there who are more (or less) aggressive than they should be? Of course, but those are not the majority in my experience. And, when they perform surgery on patients who are not good candidates, or perform many procedures that have high failure rates (like the replacement of lesser joints), they have the complications to prove it. Your hip replacement was almost assuredly necessary, though, based on your description above, and hip replacements have the highest success rate of all joint replacements, so yes, I see why you are frustrated about being second guessed.

And many surgeons will refer back to other practitioners when they have situations where only noninvasive treatments are required.

If you walk into a surgeons office and they recommend surgery right out of the gate (assuming no trauma or without being referred by another physician with a diagnosis), you would be wise to be very wary. Again, though, it depends on the circumstances of why you are presenting in the first place. A surgeon on call (regardless of specialty) when a trauma comes in is not making a "maybe" decision, but that same surgeon might be seeing patients in clinic the next week and advising no surgery for other issues. In some subspecialties of Orthopedics, a surgeon will see 15-20, or more, patients who are not good candidates for surgery at that time, before seeing someone who almost assuredly does need surgery.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 02-09-2016 at 07:06 AM..

Old 02-09-2016, 08:57 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Besides what has already been written, it's not surgeons can perform willynilly, it has to be reasonable or the insurance won't cover it.

It's easy to write off doctors as being surgery "happy", they do not have the condition or pain that you have. The surgery made you better, and that's what counts.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-09-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Besides what has already been written, it's not surgeons can perform willynilly, it has to be reasonable or the insurance won't cover it.

It's easy to write off doctors as being surgery "happy", they do not have the condition or pain that you have. The surgery made you better, and that's what counts.
It took a MAJOR act of faith to go with Anterior hip replacement and I didn't come out better, worse in many respects....Only pain I don't have is Groin pain from bone spurs. Often wonder could bone spurs been taken care of without hip replacement....what did I know back then about hip jobs.

I deal with:

Shorter Leg
Femoral Nerve Damage (burn and numb 80% of thigh) A naturopath suggested 2 supps which I took for 3 months and did a lot to get rid of the burn/tingling.
IT band Damage

I talked to a man who had the same surgeon yesterday, we connected via a review posting...he's been thru the mill, had to have parts taken out and re done by another surgeon and today he's talking to the mfgrs of the hip parts we both got. His reason for hip job in early 60's was due to: https://www.hss.edu/condition-list_a...r-necrosis.asp

AVN is a major reason for these replacements as I've read from many and young people who end up with joint destruction. Mine was due to advanced OA and aging. I was 72, my neighbor had one at 82 both of us in the same year.

Another reason I don't go for steroid injections..I have had a couple over the years, one helped for a while and the other did nothing...so I don't do them.

He's not the only one I've talked to over the 5 yrs post op, talked to 3 women also who had same surgeon.

I am doing all to do no more surgery.

I know RA and OA are very different arthritis types but I still tried the doxy. I was feeling desperate as did NOT want any surgery. Some say OA is infection. One of my recent labs showed RA factor as well.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-09-2016 at 11:08 AM..

Old 02-09-2016, 10:46 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,994,442 times
If you NEED surgery...get it.

That said...surgeons do surgery! It's their job! So, if there is some sort of surgery they can do on you, they will, if you allow it!

Old 02-09-2016, 11:09 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
It sounds to me like you need to find a way to deal with friends, family, and co-workers who are in your face with their anti-surgery prejudice.

I suggest the following: When someone says to you "That doctor is just making money off you," or "That doctor is just surgery happy," you could respond, "Yes, you've said that before. So let's talk about something else." And then change the subject.

Old 02-09-2016, 11:24 AM

I've talked to so many who have done replacements both hip and knees. And until one goes thru it good or bad outcomes, one does not know.

I think back to my mom and she dealt with OA all her life and lived to 91, hobbling and limping at the end of her years but never a replacement. I hobble/limp and did the replacement and I'm 77. So I probably have some yrs left in my life.

A mutual bridge friend who is now in assisted living and about bed ridden, did so many replacements and back surgeries and she's mentioned her regrets....she listened to the doctors.

My feeling is Surgery = Last Resort
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness