Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 09:39 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,728,873 times

Advertisements

Boy life can sure throw some curve balls out of nowhere. Last Sunday, I was enjoying a nice weekend and feeling good when my stomach blew up like a balloon that evening after supper. I did eat an entire Subway footlong sub that day. It was uncomfortable and my stomach even felt sore like someone had been punching it. I wasn't really alarmed because I've had this symptom before with IBS and it is caused by large amounts of gas.

Unfortunately, it is now Saturday and I am still struggling with bloating and stomach distention. A lot of times, it feels like my stomach has turned to a piece of granite and I can barely press in on it. On the plus side, I have been having normal bowel movements and releasing a good quantity of gas but I only get slight reduction in my symptoms. I don't have any stomach pain either. Yesterday was more troubling as I had a severe case of diarrhea.

Now I've had a long history of severe IBS and I'm still thinking that I'm just caught in a bad IBS cycle, but I can't remember being this distressed over bloating or have the bloating so bad that it is making my clothes uncomfortably tight.

I'm hesitate to run to the doctor because I don't want a repeat of 10 years ago when a bad case of constipation lead to countless tests, a 10K medical bill and diagnosis of IBS. But it would be tempting to run down to the urgent care center and see if that they could at least give me reassurance that this is nothing serious. I made the mistake yet again of googling my symptoms which took me right to bowel obstruction and prompted me to write this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 11:37 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times
Gluten is an issue for many, subway sandwiches are gluten breads. I eat a subway now and then but I do other things for my digestive system.

I stopped bringing ALL breads into my house about 7-8 yrs ago.

Old 02-13-2016, 12:06 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
I would recommend looking at making a regular appointment to see a doctor to see if they could run an ige blood test to determine if you have food allergies or sensitivities. By the way, "IBS" is a catchphrase term that doctors do use when they only want to treat the symptoms and not look at the core cause of the problem. I was found to be gluten intolerant, gave up all wheat and my negative physical health symptoms and related conditions all dramatically improved as well as drastic loss in weight with nearly no effort required. Good luck..

Old 02-13-2016, 12:21 PM

Reminds me, I was going to stop for a footlong after bridge today, but now I'm rethinking...that footlong is a lot of bread. I don't need that bread. subway is offering cheap bread sandwiches for february....not so great thou. I've mentioned to subway, why not offer gluten free breads, got a blank look. If one has to eat breads, sourdough is probably the best bet.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 02-13-2016 at 01:20 PM..

Old 02-13-2016, 02:45 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,728,873 times
Thanks everyone, I actually uncovered something today that could be a key to a lot of my problems. It said Candida overgrowth can cause the bloating. That got my attention because last fall, I had a scary bout of thrush develop in my voice box. Thrush is also caused by candida. I wonder i this thing could be the culprit.

I just want to relax and enjoy my holiday weekend and not spend it at a doctor. My friend told me I would be in a lot of pain if it was a blockage. Is that true? I don't really have pain, just uncomfortable to move around.

Old 02-13-2016, 05:23 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,847,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Boy life can sure throw some curve balls out of nowhere. Last Sunday, I was enjoying a nice weekend and feeling good when my stomach blew up like a balloon that evening after supper. I did eat an entire Subway footlong sub that day. It was uncomfortable and my stomach even felt sore like someone had been punching it. I wasn't really alarmed because I've had this symptom before with IBS and it is caused by large amounts of gas.

Unfortunately, it is now Saturday and I am still struggling with bloating and stomach distention. A lot of times, it feels like my stomach has turned to a piece of granite and I can barely press in on it. On the plus side, I have been having normal bowel movements and releasing a good quantity of gas but I only get slight reduction in my symptoms. I don't have any stomach pain either. Yesterday was more troubling as I had a severe case of diarrhea.

Now I've had a long history of severe IBS and I'm still thinking that I'm just caught in a bad IBS cycle, but I can't remember being this distressed over bloating or have the bloating so bad that it is making my clothes uncomfortably tight.

I'm hesitate to run to the doctor because I don't want a repeat of 10 years ago when a bad case of constipation lead to countless tests, a 10K medical bill and diagnosis of IBS. But it would be tempting to run down to the urgent care center and see if that they could at least give me reassurance that this is nothing serious. I made the mistake yet again of googling my symptoms which took me right to bowel obstruction and prompted me to write this post.

Your symptoms could be caused by a serious health issue. Personally, I suggest going to the ER immediately.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:58 PM

753 posts, read 1,103,864 times
FWIW, I've had an intestinal blockage that required hospitalization and surgery. If you are having BMs and passing gas, that is not what is wrong with you. In fact it is probably a good sign that you are having diarrhea, which will help resolve the bloating. OTOH, the fact that you've been having pain for a week already to me suggests that you had better see a doctor about it, or at least call your doctor's on-call number for advice about what to do instead of asking random people on the net who are not medical experts and are not familiar with your history.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:00 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,784,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Your symptoms could be caused by a serious health issue. Personally, I suggest going to the ER immediately.

ridiculous.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:17 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,756,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
ridiculous.
Agree - TOO many go to the ER and cause huge back-ups for those in real need.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:22 PM

Agree too, OP said he uncovered issues...candida is huge issue. Removed WHITES from diet. I have stories about poor health and many related to candida and consuming WHITES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness