Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 05:04 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,350 times

Advertisements

a friend of mine had 2 strokes earlier this week.
She had been scheduled to have a knee replacement surgery and was very worried about that.
Not saying that contributed to the stroke, I don't know what causes a stroke.

But I would like to guess how long til she gets better.
She has been told that she will not have any permanent effects, which is very good news.

I realize all strokes are different- my cousin had one that landed him in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.
A friend had one, that affected one side of her body. After 3 months she was completely recovered.

Maybe there is no way to predict.
But I would like to hear other's experiences.

My friend's speech has been affected. She can speak lucidly for a few sentences, and then she starts to lose words, or be unable to string words together to make a sentence.
She gets very frustrated as you can imagine.

I know nothing at all about strokes, and would like to reassure her, in case anyone on here has had a similar experience, and recovered.

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 03:57 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Sorry nobody has answered - have you done any research? From my understanding, they are all diff. - my late husband had a couple - no lasting effects other than he spoke a little slower. - Guess she just has to trust her doctors.

Old 02-14-2016, 05:15 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
My mom had a mild one years ago and she didn't lose speech.. I have some other comments and I'll DM you.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:11 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,124,318 times
I have had 2 CVAs; the first one when I was 29 and the second one when I was 35. With the first it affected my right side, my memory and swallowing. When I was rehabbing I fell in such a way that I ended up with an incomplete spinal cord injury that landed me in a wheelchair for the rest of my life. It also caused some problems with injury to my optic nerves.

The second stroke caused a loss of speech and it took quite a while to regain it; I do still forget words and my short term memory is still often spotty. I also eventually lost my sight.

Things differ wildly between people since it all depends upon where the injury occurs and how much damage has actually been done. Just be aware that even if your friend's injury I'd mild there will still be times when she is truly frustrated and may strike out at others. Try not to take it personally; it is not you, it is her.

Feel free to DM me if you have other questions.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
a friend of mine had 2 strokes earlier this week.
She had been scheduled to have a knee replacement surgery and was very worried about that.
Not saying that contributed to the stroke, I don't know what causes a stroke.

But I would like to guess how long til she gets better.
She has been told that she will not have any permanent effects, which is very good news.

I realize all strokes are different- my cousin had one that landed him in a wheel chair for the rest of his life.
A friend had one, that affected one side of her body. After 3 months she was completely recovered.

Maybe there is no way to predict.
But I would like to hear other's experiences.

My friend's speech has been affected. She can speak lucidly for a few sentences, and then she starts to lose words, or be unable to string words together to make a sentence.
She gets very frustrated as you can imagine.

I know nothing at all about strokes, and would like to reassure her, in case anyone on here has had a similar experience, and recovered.

thanks.
No one should have told her this, it is unknown what permanent damage has been done by a stroke for each individual.
I had a stroke on August 18, 2015 that affected the left side of my body and I am currently about 98% back to my normal. I can only hope I will get back to 100% but realistically that can take one year or more to do.
Good luck to your friend.

Old 02-14-2016, 07:57 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
You didnt indicate what kind of stroke your friend had, but I presume it was caused by a blockage as a bleed usually causes much more damage. If she did, indeed, have two full-blown strokes, I'm surprised that nothing was done to prevent future strokes. Or did she have mini-strokes (transient ischemic attacks -- TIAs)?

I had two strokes in 2006. The first was caused by a blockage in my carotid artery. I didnt suffer any physical effects except that I couldnt write -- I could picture what the words should look like but all the words came out as straight lines. I was very confused for about a week -- couldnt figure out how to unlock the house doors with the key, couldnt figure out how to start my car (thank goodness, because I was in no condition to drive), couldnt even figure out how to use the phone to call someone about my confusion...things like that. I knew something wasnt right, but I wasnt able to comprehend what or the extent of what was wrong.

I was a prisoner in my home and muddled around for a week like that. I kept falling, because of the blockage, whenever I turned my head in a certain way. I'd be doing soemthing and wake up on the floor.

Finally, after one bad fall, where my head went through the living room window, I crawled outside, where my neighbor saw me and took me to the ER. There they discovered the 98% blockage and scheduled emergency surgery. During the surgery I had another stroke, which was much more serious (and not unusual for that surgery). I was in ICU for two weeks and in a regular hospital room for another two weeks.

I was able to walk into the hospital but, because of the second stroke, I wasnt able to walk out of it. I was in a wheelchair for a while and then graduated to a walker and then to a cane. Now I can walk without assistance of any kind.

After a couple years of occupational therapy and physical therapy (insurance paid for only six months and I had to pay for the remainder myself), I've recovered to the point where you couldnt tell there's something wrong with me. But I still cant drive more than 2-3 miles -- my right leg gets too tired to be trustworthy to brake quickly if necessary. And I still cant write, although I can print (thank goodness for computers). And I have trouble swallowing, although that seems to have gotten a little better over the years.

Old 02-15-2016, 04:48 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,710,350 times
thanks for all the replies.
such a wide difference in what can result from a stroke.
I've been told that people can have a stroke and not know it.
ach... it is very scary.

Old 02-15-2016, 12:31 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
A stroke can be caused by a blot clot, or a bleed in the brain. How much it affects you depends on how long the surrounding tissue is damaged by the clot or bleed, and what part of the brain it happens in....

Hopefully, she's being treated for whatever kind of stroke she had....she's always going to be at risk now....but with proper medical care, she may go on forever without another...but there's no way to really predict it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness