Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times

Advertisements

I know its a staph type infection. My daughter brought a flyer home about it and I am MORE concerned about what it doesn't say.

I don't want to be one of THOSE parents but she also has told me that one of her friends has it. I am worried about my daughter or myself getting infected. I have always had a struggle with my immune system, the info I have seems to be saying its more likely to strike someone like that.

I don't know what to do. My daughter told me that the school would kick this girl out if they knew she had MRSA. I guess I should call and ask the school nurse some questions and find out whats going on. I don't want to make this girls life hell but I don't want my daughter to get sick.

I of course could speak with her Mother as well. If this is as big a issue as it seems to be then why would this woman allow her daughter to come to my home as a guest and my daughter to her house as a guest and not mention this. If her daughter contracted this at an earlier date when she had a hospital stay and can't get rid of the infection, that would tend to say that my daughter could get it (or me) and not be able to get rid of it.

I'm just in a quandry about this whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 12:13 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Yeah, this MRSA thing is getting to be an issue. We have had quite a bit of outbreak of it here in the Dallas area especially in the schools. I don't know a lot about it, but it is my understanding that the community acquired MRSA is less resistant than the hospital variety. It is certainly treatable, just requires more (higher level antibiotics etc.) and is much more dangerous than garden variety staph which many people carry on their skin and in their nose normally.

Locally, we have had most of the outbreaks among athletes in locker rooms, sharing towels etc. The schools have had to go in and disinfect the locker rooms. Apparently, someone can contract if they have a break in the skin, and come into contact with it.

If you are concerned, a call to the school nurse doesn't seem out of order to me.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Yeah, this MRSA thing is getting to be an issue. We have had quite a bit of outbreak of it here in the Dallas area especially in the schools. I don't know a lot about it, but it is my understanding that the community acquired MRSA is less resistant than the hospital variety. It is certainly treatable, just requires more (higher level antibiotics etc.) and is much more dangerous than garden variety staph which many people carry on their skin and in their nose normally.

Locally, we have had most of the outbreaks among athletes in locker rooms, sharing towels etc. The schools have had to go in and disinfect the locker rooms. Apparently, someone can contract if they have a break in the skin, and come into contact with it.

If you are concerned, a call to the school nurse doesn't seem out of order to me.
The thing that boggles my mind is my daughter tells me she has had this for some time. If it can be treated and gotten rid of then why aren't they doing it?

I think I will call and speak with the nurse but I have to say that I don't put a whole bunch of faith in what this school says. They have in the past been more likely to cover their bum then do whats right.

I am still taken aback that her Mother never said anything to me. Honestly would you in that case send your kid to someone's house and say nothing? What I read said that you have to be careful with their bedding because you can catch it from that, if the person has a boil and it gets on the sheets.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:41 AM

14 posts, read 70,085 times
I googled this last week because a my adopted sister's mom was put into the hospital with this condition...

http://forums.wtf.com/archive/index.php/t-42247.html (broken link)

12-04-2005, 11:08 AM
Superbug that eats flesh is on the loose

Potentially lethal bacteria infects hundreds in Tucson

As if threats of pandemic superflu weren't enough, yet another new and potentially fatal "superbug" is spreading worldwide — including in Tucson.
No mere threat, this bug has infected hundreds of Tucsonans already and hospitalized dozens, some with life-threatening illness.

Moderator cut: copyright violation

Last edited by Marka; 02-11-2008 at 05:16 AM..

Old 02-09-2008, 01:00 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
The thing that boggles my mind is my daughter tells me she has had this for some time. If it can be treated and gotten rid of then why aren't they doing it?

I think I will call and speak with the nurse but I have to say that I don't put a whole bunch of faith in what this school says. They have in the past been more likely to cover their bum then do whats right.

I am still taken aback that her Mother never said anything to me. Honestly would you in that case send your kid to someone's house and say nothing? What I read said that you have to be careful with their bedding because you can catch it from that, if the person has a boil and it gets on the sheets.
I don't know. There are still antibiotics that are effective with MRSA, thankfully. But it needs to be treated before it gets systemic is my understanding. Of course, again, not all staph infections are MRSA.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I don't know. There are still antibiotics that are effective with MRSA, thankfully. But it needs to be treated before it gets systemic is my understanding. Of course, again, not all staph infections are MRSA.
Well my daughter who is only 11 said specifically MRSA and she still has it and has for some time. Not that I can take the word of an 11 year old.

She even said to me at one time that her Mother kept her out of school last year because of this and home schooled her. I am probably going to have to speak with her Mother before this is all over with.

It seems like a potentially serious problem.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:41 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,339,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I know its a staph type infection. My daughter brought a flyer home about it and I am MORE concerned about what it doesn't say.

I don't want to be one of THOSE parents but she also has told me that one of her friends has it. I am worried about my daughter or myself getting infected. I have always had a struggle with my immune system, the info I have seems to be saying its more likely to strike someone like that.

I don't know what to do. My daughter told me that the school would kick this girl out if they knew she had MRSA. I guess I should call and ask the school nurse some questions and find out whats going on. I don't want to make this girls life hell but I don't want my daughter to get sick.

I of course could speak with her Mother as well. If this is as big a issue as it seems to be then why would this woman allow her daughter to come to my home as a guest and my daughter to her house as a guest and not mention this. If her daughter contracted this at an earlier date when she had a hospital stay and can't get rid of the infection, that would tend to say that my daughter could get it (or me) and not be able to get rid of it.

I'm just in a quandry about this whole thing.
You sound panicked! For heaven's sake, just call the kid's mother! Just pick up the phone and ask her. Many schools are sending flyers home because this can be a potentially dangerous infection, but so can a severe case of impetigo. The organism (Staph aureaus) is found on the body normally and is the same one that causes pimples on our face to become red and sore after picking/squeezing or that causes hair follicles to get infected - that's why you're instructed NOT to squeeze pimples on the face (and elsewhere). If a person has a boil or other lesion, we don't necessarily assume it's MRSA, but we lance it (if possible), culture any drainage, then start Rx with antibiotics - both oral and topical. Some communities are keeping track of the infections in schools in order to check on an outbreak, some aren't, but you also could ask the school nurse about this as well. S/he can't disclose names, but can probably tell if a large number of students have been affected. We did this at our UC and found one high school seemed to have several cases, mostly football players, and cleaning measures were instituted (equipment issues), no more problem. Wrestlers get a topical fungal infection called tinea versicor from rolling around on improperly cleaned mats. People who go to gyms can get this as well, or MRSA, from using the equipment without cleaning it. Call the kid's mother.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:19 AM

148 posts, read 876,682 times
There was an episode of 60 minutes that focused on this on November 11th, 2007. It documented cases in American high schools. If you're looking for more information, I suggest you watch this episode.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:41 PM

The reason I sound worried is because I worry not only about the physical effects of my daughter getting this, we don't have medical insurance, I am also worried about the fact this little girl is my daughters friend.

I am not good at having conversations like this with people, I am worried about offending this woman. I can be less then subtle at times. She apparently doesn't think this is a big deal or she wouldn't be sending her child over to my house and others homes.

Having said this, that is the only way I will have an idea what is going on. I just don't want to offend her unintentionally. My daughter tells me she takes medication for it but that she can't get rid of it.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM

40 posts, read 316,086 times
Its off the top of my head, but I recently saw a study about using a patented form of silver solution along with regular treatment. Silver does kill MRSA when in contact for about 6-12 minutes. The issue is "how do you get silver in contact with the infection?" You hear a lot of talk about topical use of silver in bandages these days. The study I saw, consisted of an oral dosage, but it also involved dipping the bandages in a silver solution and continually applying them throughout the day.

Personally, I have my doubts, but I don't think it would hurt to try as long in addition to regular treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness