Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 03:55 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times

Advertisements

Thanx for a concerned reply re my last nights ????? issues. Ironically it was a year ago this month that I had my first Heart attack symptoms and a couple of the TIA episodes.

Falling asleep in front of the boober and then waking up to find your right side numb, face, arm and leg.

VA did later agreed that I probably had a TIA but that was weeks later and a ECG was not done. He told me to call 911 or get to a Hospital real quick....easier said then done since I'm south of Rosarito Baja Mexico and the nearest ambulance is there....12 miles away and 12 miles back to the Hospital....by then I would be a goner.

On one of my mid night attacks with my head spinning like a Tornado along with the room doing the same, I hung on to the wall going to the bathroom (nausea feeling) and as for the phone nearby I could hardly make it out let alone dial the emergency number to the local Cruz Roja (Red Cross emergency number)

My friends have died within the last three years and as far as any local....out of the question.

Am NOT complaining here just some info that might ring some ones bell.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:50 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Steve are you living alone? Is there someone who could at least stay with you at night who you could alert to call an ambulance?

Old 03-06-2016, 04:57 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,814,543 times
That head spinning thing sounds like vertigo to me. I had it so bad once I just rolled out of bed and tried to cling to the floor, screaming for help the whole time. It scared the hell out of me. I still get mini episodes when turning over in bed or bending over and turning my head to the left to look into a cabinet.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:01 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Or...is there some sort of medic alert type device that you could wear? They advertise things on tv where all the person has to do is press the button or something. Since it's on the person at all times, they don't have to get to a phone.

I don't know much about treatment of heart attacks but if medical people could get to you, there are probably things they could be doing in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. It might save your life.

Anyway, with the symptoms you're having I think you should get to a doctor ASAP. We don't want to lose you. Your symptoms don't sound like anything to be ignored.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:01 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Steve are you living alone? Is there someone who could at least stay with you at night who you could alert to call an ambulance?

I agree with no kudzo's concern. At the least, cant you get up to San Diego for testing? You may have a blocked carotid artery that's causing the TIAs -- if so, surgery can clear it out and prevent your having a debilitating stroke.

The head spinning is, to me, further evidence of a blocked carotid artery. I had several of those spinning sessions before my stroke. Whenever I'd put my head in a certain position (for example, bending over to get laundry out of the washer or bending over to answer the landline phone), the carotid artery on my left side would get pinched enough to totally block all blood flow to my brain -- and that would cause the dizziness. I even passed out several times because of it.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Thank goodness you didn't just brush it off - and that it
wasn't even worse. That weird feeling is something we should heed more often -
especially when it comes to women and heart disease.
Glad you're home and on the mend. Take good care of yourself!
Ditto!

Old 03-06-2016, 05:56 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
...snipped....

I did find out through all of this and after many conversations with Radiology docs as well as Heart docs the ONLY reliable way to see if you've got a blockage is a cath. Thankfully they can go in through the wrist now. Instead of on your back for 12 hours you're back home in 3.

...snipped
The cath I had, they wanted to go through the wrist but when the doctor tried, she said she had never seen such small veins (?). She had to go through the groin. I don't remember a thing. Had no pain during or after, just lying flat for 12 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
...snipped....

Last night while watching the Fox Election results felt a tightness in my chest (thought it was a heartburn from dinner three hrs earlier) slight drooling from my mouth on the right side and a slight numbness in my right cheek/face, and a lightheaded feeling while trying to focus on the boob tube. This lasted about a half hr and then I felt better.

...snipped....
Steve, you need to find a way to be able to get help if you need it. I hope you can work it out.

I have a friend, female, who had a heart attack late 40's. No real symptoms but vague feelings of something wasn't right. They lived quite a ways out in the country, though in a development with houses on 1-2 acres so, not real close neighbors. Fortunately, she had a neighbor who was at home and she called and asked her to call an ambulance and then come over. She did have a full blown attack and had quite a bit of blockage. She had been remodeling their kitchen and was really stressed out with the workmen, though I think heart problems did run in the family.

nk, I am truly glad you have successfully weathered this. It is an inspiration, to me, to pay attention to my body. I have a tendency to really downplay and ignore symptoms, to my own peril at times. I am always so afraid of being a bother......lol. Again, glad you are better.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:03 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Wow, girl! Take care of yourself!! That's so scary! I'm glad you're okay!!!

I work with an amazing lady - well, I see her once a month at work. Anyway she's in her 50's and had a triple bypass. The blessing for her (in my opinion) is that she doesn't remember a thing, really. Her son drove her and she woke up after it was all over.

(and do NOT drool on your doctor!)

Old 03-06-2016, 06:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Yes, I am alone....have been for the last 20 yrs (here that is) except for my two 4 legged companions (father 14 and son 9) who have both passed away within the last couple of years. After my breakins am tempted to get a Doberman.

Security cameras are working well......kinda late after important things are gone...oh well, live and learn.

Do have a person that cleans the house on occasion but she lives in the far East end of TJ so were talking over 30 miles. Call me she says, but she has kids to worry about.

Do have a Hispanic neighbor (from the US with a home here) that gave me his home number but his wife has had some problems and he is gone many times and last year I went to his front gate (padlocked) (car outside) but NO answer as he was gone. Was going to ask him to drive me to the Rosarito Hospital as I was hesitant to drive on my own......I survived.

My sub division is not fully built while I was the very first one to build here 20 yrs back and still many empty lots around me.

Sorry for the manuscript but does give my fingers a workout.

For my age am in pretty good shape considering some I see who are younger then me.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:47 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I think I owe my life to all the many articles and TV segments about how women experience heart attacks so differently than men. I'm the kind who will give the last piece of something to the kids or DH instead of saving it for myself, sacrifice my own needs for my kids. you know...the good selfless woman we are taught to be so I really didn't want to "bother" my husband about my symptoms. I never thought about an ambulance...just getting him to take me. So glad he decided how silly that was.
I think the more we share our own medical experiences the more others can learn and lives can be saved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness