Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:21 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
You can't outrun your fork and spoon.....

amen!! They need to get their diet under control before anything else. They could do 2 hrs a day 7 days a week and still be 60 lbs overweight if they don't change their diet and control their eating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 06:27 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
I'm not trying to talk myself out of doing more. I'm just saying that 30 minutes everyday of high intensity exercise I would think would think would help with cholesterol....of course diet is the main thing which I am going to change completely.

Your idea of high intensity might be a bit skewed.

My mother thinks that walking at 2mph for 30mins a day on her treadmill is going to make up for her crappy diet and help her lose 60 lbs too. She loves to tell the dr that she walks for 30 mins a day.....she purposely leaves out the 'intensity' part.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:32 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Your idea of high intensity might be a bit skewed.

My mother thinks that walking at 2mph for 30mins a day on her treadmill is going to make up for her crappy diet and help her lose 60 lbs too. She loves to tell the dr that she walks for 30 mins a day.....she purposely leaves out the 'intensity' part.
Comical isn't it? If you go "intense" for 20 minutes a day (that is keep your heart rate in the 80-90 percent of max range) ..you will get all the exercise you will ever need. People want to talk the talk (I work out 40 minutes look at me!)but meanwhile they arent even breaking a sweat.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 AM

119 posts, read 126,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I really don't know if the cholesterol is fixable.

I think high cholesterol is hereditary. My cholesterol went from 238 to 282 in one year. Everything else in my blood work is perfect. I eat healthy, walk everyday, get enough sleep and I am not overweight.

Three years ago I changed my lifestyle completely. Lost 80 pounds, learned how to eat healthy all the time and exercise everyday. Since then my cholesterol has gone up
If your cholesterol did not go down, you are not eating healthy for your genetics.

There is no one healthy way to eat.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
The most important thing with cholesterol is not the total, but the ratio of "good" to "bad." My total is considered borderline high, but my doctor says my cholesterol is fantastic, because my good cholesterol is almost 90, which he said is about twice as high as the average person. My cholesterol is good from my diet and exercise, 4 years ago my blood sugar and cholesterol were as bad or worse than the OPs. And no, I am not a vegetarian or vegan.
Your doctor is misinformed. The science of cholesterol is far from settled.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/...ur-health.aspx

Old 03-06-2016, 07:14 AM

Diabetes Reversal: Is it the Calories or the Food?

Diabetes Reversal: Is it the Calories or the Food? | NutritionFacts.org

Old 03-06-2016, 07:56 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyMeAK View Post
Stop eating cheese, fatty meats, and nuts. Switch to Turkey, skinless chicken, and fish. Buy a countertop oven and bake foods instead od frying. Discharge the mix of juice and fat from the bottom of baking pan. Or cook meats on gas grill. Boil meat, ideally, then cool, put in the fridge, remove fat from top and make soups. Read the labels in the store. Don't eat donuts and cut sweets in general. Get liver and pancreas ultrasound done.
My DH is on cholesterol meds (not the lowest dosage) and I'm not. My cholesterol is still within the norm. His is lower then mine, but I do nothing - just steal some cheese from him, that probably is not good for me. Eating right helps.
Eating right helps your cholesterol levels, but not much. Contrary to popular belief, a person's cholesterol level comes mostly from genetics, not diet. I'm on cholesterol meds and have had high cholesterol since at least age 17 (as in one-seven,) courtesy of dear old Dad. Despite exercising five days a week, taking meds, and eating healthy the majority of the time, my levels still run around 210. However, my HDL has gone up LDLs have gone down, and total number has decreased, so it's an improvement.

But blood sugar can definitely be controlled through healthy diet. As others have said, you can't outexercise a bad diet, OP. Eating healthy isn't fun, but faced with the choice between eating right or dying young, you should suck it up and choose the former. It's a process; don't expect perfection. But even incremental improvements make a big difference. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2016, 08:10 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
I do need to loose 60 lbs and I eat bad
You answered your own question. Why did you do this to yourself? Why haven't you controlled your weight? Didn't you know that was a factor for diabetes, high cholesterol, and heart disease. Control it!

Old 03-06-2016, 08:16 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,327,357 times
Exercise does HELP, but if you're 60lbs over weight your exercise if CLEARLY not enough to make up for your overindulgence and poor food choices. You're supposed to do exercise and eat a balanced diet. You are significantly overweight, which means you have too much fat. Every organ in your body has to cope with that fat, regardless of how much you excise. Your pancrease has to make insulin to deal with every gram of sugar you eat. Elliptical don't help your pancreas make insulin. Your body has to burn or store every gram of fat. If you're storing it, it's because you aren't burning it. When it's stored in your vessles and plaque, it effect cholesterol. Did you think the 60 lbs were muscle? What do think makes cholesterol... hint: fat.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Eating right helps your cholesterol levels, but not much. Contrary to popular belief, a person's cholesterol level comes mostly from genetics, not diet. I'm on cholesterol meds and have had high cholesterol since at least age 17 (as in one-seven,) courtesy of dear old Dad. Despite exercising five days a week, taking meds, and eating healthy the majority of the time, my levels still run around 210. However, my HDL has gone up LDLs have gone down, and total number has decreased, so it's an improvement.

But blood sugar can definitely be controlled through healthy diet. As others have said, you can't outexercise a bad diet, OP. Eating healthy isn't fun, but faced with the choice between eating right or dying young, you should suck it up and choose the former. It's a process; don't expect perfection. But even incremental improvements make a big difference. Good luck!

You are half right. Most people think they eat healthy but they do not eat healthy according to their genetics.

I come from a family with high cholesterol and early heart attacks. I also have my genetics. The one issue with me that stood out was in my Fatty Acid Desaturate genes (FADS1). My FADS1 genes are more like an Eskimo's than like the polish Italian that I am. People with these types of variant in their FADS1 genes need to eat much more omega 3 in their diet to lower cholesterol. I eat a almost zero added oil diet, rarely eat nuts, but I eat fish everyday (Sardines and Kipper Snacks).

I thought as well that I ate healthy before knowing my genetics and my cholesterol was 215 and i only weigh 145 LBS and was a vegetarian. Now that I switched to fish only my cholesterol is 145 and many more of my other health issues subsided.

To me, anyone will hugely benefit from looking closely at the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 that they eat (Nothing higher than 1 omega 3 to 3 omega 6) but some of us will more than others.

Here are relevant links:
High-fat diet made Inuits healthier but shorter thanks to gene mutations, study finds
What the Inuit can tell us about omega-3 fats and ‘paleo’ diets | Berkeley News
FADS1 Genetic Variability Interacts with Dietary
Genetic Adaptation of Fatty-Acid Metabolism: A Human-Specific Haplotype Increasing the Biosynthesis of Long-Chain Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids
Variants in CPT1A, FADS1, and FADS2 are Associated with Higher Levels of Estimated Plasma and Erythrocyte Delta-5 Desaturases in Alaskan Eskimos
Genetic variants in the metabolism of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids: their role in the determination of nutritional requirements and chronic disease risk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness