Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 10:31 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWeiWander View Post
You are half right. Most people think they eat healthy but they do not eat healthy according to their genetics.

I come from a family with high cholesterol and early heart attacks. I also have my genetics. The one issue with me that stood out was in my Fatty Acid Desaturate genes (FADS1). My FADS1 genes are more like an Eskimo's than like the polish Italian that I am. People with these types of variant in their FADS1 genes need to eat much more omega 3 in their diet to lower cholesterol. I eat a almost zero added oil diet, rarely eat nuts, but I eat fish everyday (Sardines and Kipper Snacks).

I thought as well that I ate healthy before knowing my genetics and my cholesterol was 215 and i only weigh 145 LBS and was a vegetarian. Now that I switched to fish only my cholesterol is 145 and many more of my other health issues subsided.

To me, anyone will hugely benefit from looking closely at the ratio of omega 3 to omega 6 that they eat (Nothing higher than 1 omega 3 to 3 omega 6) but some of us will more than others.

Here are relevant links:
High-fat diet made Inuits healthier but shorter thanks to gene mutations, study finds
What the Inuit can tell us about omega-3 fats and ‘paleo’ diets | Berkeley News
FADS1 Genetic Variability Interacts with Dietary
Genetic Adaptation of Fatty-Acid Metabolism: A Human-Specific Haplotype Increasing the Biosynthesis of Long-Chain Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids
Variants in CPT1A, FADS1, and FADS2 are Associated with Higher Levels of Estimated Plasma and Erythrocyte Delta-5 Desaturases in Alaskan Eskimos
Genetic variants in the metabolism of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids: their role in the determination of nutritional requirements and chronic disease risk
I love it when posters link true scientific journal articles, rather than a lame opinion piece from Huffington Post or some such nonsense. That's pretty uncommon. Although these articles are too technical for me to understand (psychology and ophthalmology are my thing,) I'm going to plow through them as best as I can. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 11:35 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
Fasting blood sugar was 244. LDL cholesterol 211 (total cholesterol 273). I have to go on meds from both. I'm 41 and exercise on the elliptical from 30 minutes every day....how can my cholesterol be so high? I do need to loose 60 lbs and I eat bad....but I thought exercise would help? For all I know I could have been like this for many years. Am I on he verge of a heart attack or stroke or can I fix think with diet and weight loss ? (and continue to exercise of course)
You are not on the verge, unless your doctor says so. When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was sent to a diabetes educator. She told me a very simple analogy. Your health is a door. The door is shut. The lock is diet. The key is exercise.

Just one of those isn't enough to open the health door. You need both.

And your food journey isn't going to be easy. You have trained your taste to like what it likes...now you have to retrain it. I love salads now. I like veggies. It's trial and error on simple sauces to make veggies and chicken or fish yummy. And sauces don't have to be rich -- cook the chicken in a pan, deglaze with a little water to get chicken broth, add a little lemon juice and some Italian herbs and garlic, cook down for a minute and add a pat of butter off heat.

You've also very probably not paid attention to portion size. That's harder in some ways. But you can fool your eye, and make smaller portions more appealing by using smaller luncheon sized plates rather than dinner plates. (9 inches versus 10 1/2 inches). At restaurants -- automatically plan to take half of the dinner home, if you can't get a half portion.

I've lost about 80 pounds over a long time...and it's staying off. I found that for me, little steps toward the goal was far easier than a radical change I couldn't keep up. Keep a food diary, and see what you could cut and not miss. When I was diagnosed, that's what I did, and I never had to eat rice again. It sent my sugar sky high, no matter how little of it I ate, and I didn't really care about it -- so out it went.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:14 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Comical isn't it? If you go "intense" for 20 minutes a day (that is keep your heart rate in the 80-90 percent of max range) ..you will get all the exercise you will ever need. People want to talk the talk (I work out 40 minutes look at me!)but meanwhile they arent even breaking a sweat.

Very true...my mother will chat with friends on the phone while 'doing her treadmill'.. Ive given up on her...she doesn't want to change.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:17 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
You are not on the verge, unless your doctor says so. When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I was sent to a diabetes educator. She told me a very simple analogy. Your health is a door. The door is shut. The lock is diet. The key is exercise.

Just one of those isn't enough to open the health door. You need both.

And your food journey isn't going to be easy. You have trained your taste to like what it likes...now you have to retrain it. I love salads now. I like veggies. It's trial and error on simple sauces to make veggies and chicken or fish yummy. And sauces don't have to be rich -- cook the chicken in a pan, deglaze with a little water to get chicken broth, add a little lemon juice and some Italian herbs and garlic, cook down for a minute and add a pat of butter off heat.

You've also very probably not paid attention to portion size. That's harder in some ways. But you can fool your eye, and make smaller portions more appealing by using smaller luncheon sized plates rather than dinner plates. (9 inches versus 10 1/2 inches). At restaurants -- automatically plan to take half of the dinner home, if you can't get a half portion.

I've lost about 80 pounds over a long time...and it's staying off. I found that for me, little steps toward the goal was far easier than a radical change I couldn't keep up. Keep a food diary, and see what you could cut and not miss. When I was diagnosed, that's what I did, and I never had to eat rice again. It sent my sugar sky high, no matter how little of it I ate, and I didn't really care about it -- so out it went.

Wow! That's awesome...keep up the good work. It's not always easy, but the results are often the key to keep you on track.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyk4 View Post
I'm not trying to talk myself out of doing more. I'm just saying that 30 minutes everyday of high intensity exercise I would think would think would help with cholesterol....of course diet is the main thing which I am going to change completely.
Well it's not now is it?

I am the correct weight and have great cholesterol numbers, I eat mainly fruit, vegs and grains, and exercise 1 hour 5 days a week. I'm 50.

The exercise you are doing has probably stopped your numbers from being worse, but you are very unhealthy.

This is one of the easiest health problems to have...... it's 90% within your control.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-06-2016, 02:26 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
I am normal weight and at age 30 my cholesterol was really bad. A little pill and diet modifications and it's perfect. I do eat too many carbs but there was an obvious genetic factor.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:14 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
I have always had high cholesterol even when I was below weight. Now that I am older and overweight I still have high cholesterol. I exercise 5-6 days a week, high intensity for 60 minutes and lift weights. It's all in what you eat, exercise is minimal.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:29 PM

52 posts, read 57,090 times
you just said it, you eat bad and you need to lose weight. Do that. Ignore cholesterol, that's just a scam. blood sugar too. All that matters is eat healthy and exercise and you'll be fine.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:34 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I am normal weight and at age 30 my cholesterol was really bad. A little pill and diet modifications and it's perfect. I do eat too many carbs but there was an obvious genetic factor.
Exactly. A girl such as myself didn't have much time on this earth to eat crappy enough to cause herself develop a total cholesterol of 279 at age 17, particularly since I was a pretty slim thing, and still am, 22 years later. With a low dose of Simvastatin, my numbers are within normal limits. But I also exercise and eat healthy 80% of the time. The other 20% I have fun, but I'm not going to deprive myself all the time.

Old 03-06-2016, 05:47 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,686,290 times
Interesting discussion on heart disease and early risk factors. Dr. Michael Greger reveals some very sobering findings on this very topic. He also discusses what can be done about it, even with kids.......starting today.

Heart Disease Starts in Childhood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkWd0R05ZEs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness