Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:58 AM

174 posts, read 214,101 times

Advertisements

We will ALL die at some point, it's only a matter of when. Best to prepare for that day than to try to prevent it or worry too much about when it might happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 01:29 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Here is a solution that might help.

I had similar issues and failed to do anything about it. Eventually I just decided that I was going to change what I was doing. Here are the things that I did to change my life.

1. Drink mostly water. I had to give up the soda and I had been a Pepsi drinker for years, decades really. At one time I was drinking a 6 pack a day, not counting drinking maybe one 44 ounce fountain drink at the local Circle K. It does take an adjustment but it will do a world of good. Also drink lots of water. I drink maybe 6 to 8 twenty ounce water bottles a day. I refill the same bottle during the day.

2. Oat meal and fruit for breakfast. I am talking plain oatmeal. I usually take about a half cup of uncooked oatmeal and add in a cup of water. I will mix in cinnamon and place the bowl in the microwave. I cook it for 2 minutes. From time to time I will peel an apple and cut it up into small pieces.sprinkle cinnamon on the apple pieces. I place the apple in the microwave and cook for 2 minutes. Then put that in the oatmeal. I do add two tea spoons of sugar for taste.

3. Lunch of raw vegetables and fruit. I also add in some nuts of choice and may add in a granola bar but check on the calories first that the granola bar has.

4. I eat what ever my wife makes for dinner. Also for parties I do eat the cake and ice cream.

5. Cut out everything else. No snacks, no Starbucks, just eat to live.

Feel free to make a veriation of this. The deal is to eat real food. No fat, fructose, fortified, or other common food F words. I also gave up dairy about three or four years ago. Found that I can not diggest milk products. I give a pass to the occasional ice cream but that is limited to the occasional birthday party.

All my bad numbers dropped. My heart rate imprpved, my energy improved, my weight decreased.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:30 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking about texas View Post
you just said it, you eat bad and you need to lose weight. Do that. Ignore cholesterol, that's just a scam. blood sugar too. All that matters is eat healthy and exercise and you'll be fine.
Blood sugar is a scam? are you serious? Cholesterol I think they are finding is iffy..I agree. But blood sugar ???? yea, ok, keep your blood sugar over 200 for about 10 years and see what happens.

A scam indicates that it doesn't matter what your blood sugar is..well that's just plain bad advice.. Ignoring it is suicide if its high.

Old 03-07-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
We will ALL die at some point, it's only a matter of when. Best to prepare for that day than to try to prevent it or worry too much about when it might happen.
True. We will die someday. I plan on having an amazing body that others will look at and say, he sure did not kill him self with food. That is a big problem in todays Western Culture. We are killing ourselves slowly with a fork.

I work in a hospital and I read in a medical journal that right around 75% of causes of sickness and death are preventable. We do things to our bodies that cause us to die an early death. People live longer now. The quality of how people live has increased, especially when those people take care of the only body that they will get.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:54 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
My late husband had issues pretty much in line with the OP's. Died 2 days after his 43rd birthday.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-07-2016, 09:14 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
For the OP-- a few questions:

Did your doctor refer you to a nutritionist or counsel you on your diet?

If he/she didn't, can you get a referral to a dietician or a nutritionist?

You say you eat badly? In what way? What do you eat that's good? Can you eat more of the good foods and less of the bad foods? Or rather, eat more foods that are healthy and less of the unhealthy?

Are you an emotional eater, eat when stressed? How can you substitute that with another behavior? Me, I do yoga at home when stressed..then drink a goodly amount of fresh water after. Bingo-- my nervous eating is gone.

Or I walk outside in the fresh air and look at the stars (if night), trees, listen to the birds while doing some deep breathing.... fresh air and being in nature can be calming and centering...

Do you have a friend/buddy who has a healthy life style? Will they support you in your move to eating in a more healthy way?

Old 03-08-2016, 08:04 AM

119 posts, read 126,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I was born in the late 30's and my parents lived to 91 and 95 and most of my relatives lived into 80's at least....the word cholesterol was never a word back in their days. They all ate everything. I think maybe cholesterol became a big business about 20 yrs ago or so. Maybe more but it's a big business.
A lot has changed from those days. People are eating much differently and more "chemically". Not to mention the amount of Omega 3's in food has substantially decreased since then on top of the fact that we are eating much more Omega 6, fat and sugar than they every did. Disease is the cost of a developed country.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:27 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWeiWander View Post
A lot has changed from those days. People are eating much differently and more "chemically". Not to mention the amount of Omega 3's in food has substantially decreased since then on top of the fact that we are eating much more Omega 6, fat and sugar than they every did. Disease is the cost of a developed country.
This is why the whole concept of people continuing to live longer is comical. Sure it has gone up because people don't die as early from complications, but no way will we reach a point where the average person lives to 90. Not with the cost of healthcare and poor eating habits.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
This is why the whole concept of people continuing to live longer is comical. Sure it has gone up because people don't die as early from complications, but no way will we reach a point where the average person lives to 90. Not with the cost of healthcare and poor eating habits.
People are living longer. More people have hit the 100 year mark and above than in any other modern time.

How Many People Live to 100 Across the Globe?

"If you have been following these pages then you have already come to find out that centenarians, people who reach the age of 100 years or more, are currently the fastest growing part of the population."

"In total numbers the United States has the most centenarians with currant estimates as high as 72,000. If the population of centenarians continues to increase at its current rate of expansion there could be close to 1 million people of 100 years of age or more by 2050 residing in the US."

Supercentenarians, 110 yo or Older

What People Who Live to 100 Have in Common - US News

Old 03-08-2016, 10:24 AM

119 posts, read 126,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
People are living longer. More people have hit the 100 year mark and above than in any other modern time.

How Many People Live to 100 Across the Globe?

"If you have been following these pages then you have already come to find out that centenarians, people who reach the age of 100 years or more, are currently the fastest growing part of the population."

"In total numbers the United States has the most centenarians with currant estimates as high as 72,000. If the population of centenarians continues to increase at its current rate of expansion there could be close to 1 million people of 100 years of age or more by 2050 residing in the US."

Supercentenarians, 110 yo or Older

What People Who Live to 100 Have in Common - US News

We need to separate rates of disease form rate of death from disease. And we may be living longer but we are not as healthy.
CDC - Incidence per 1,000,000 Population - End-Stage Renal Disease - Data & Trends - Diabetes DDT

But we may be at the beginning of a new trend in death rates as well:
Alzheimer's, stroke and heart disease death rates rise slightly | Fox News

And I want to add "fastest growing part of the population" might only be happening from population dynamics, not from actual health changes.

Last edited by Raven_on_a_Coyote; 03-08-2016 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Added one more thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness