U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2016, 11:40 PM

18,604 posts, read 16,305,390 times

Advertisements

I think a bout of gastrointeritis would be a close comparison...
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 03:48 AM

1,480 posts, read 998,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
That's a pretty good comparison. I remember lying on the bathroom floor right next to the toilet when I had gastro. I had no idea it could get that bad.

I've had severe toothache where I could barely sit down coz I was in so much pain. I wouldn't compare my period to that level of pain, but my pain is normally pretty mild anyway. My friend gets excruciating period pain, to the point where she can barely function. It's different for every woman OP, but severe gastro would be a good starting point.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:54 AM

123 posts, read 97,162 times
As other women have mentioned, it really depends and can vary widely. Some months it's nothing worse than a dull ache in my lower back and thighs. Sometimes it can feel like a bad bout of gas. And occasionally I've been curled up, shaking, sweating, and vomiting in pain just wishing to fall asleep until it passes.

If she hasn't talked to the doc about it she may want tondo so as there are different methods of birth control and other things that can help make it less debilitating. She may have already had that discussion though and I'd doing the best she can.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:56 AM

11,430 posts, read 22,751,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
That's what I was thinking too.

That feeling when you're going to have diarrhea, like your guts are twisting and you've got an extreme amount of pressure, but instead of being able to pass gas or have a bowel movement to relieve the pressure, you're just stuck with that twisting pressure pain feeling for a couple of days.

Those are the regular cramps, for me. The worse ones feel like you're trying to pass a kidney stone, like something just needs to come out and you're sweating buckets and can't lie down or sit still because there's so much extreme pressure, and then you vomit from the pain and it doesn't do anything to relieve the pressure.

Personally, I can still exercise when I have cramps. I have a hard time going on bike rides during those first few days of the period but that's more about dealing with a heavy flow on the trail than it is about the cramps.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:03 AM

35,104 posts, read 43,692,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulone828 View Post
You misunderstood. By "My question is for a man what would you say is the closest equivalent pain a man can get to what period cramps are like?" I wasn't speaking to men. I (talking TO women) was asking what kind of pain could a man get that would be best equivalent to menstrual cramps.
None.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:41 AM

17,293 posts, read 10,574,281 times
Every woman is different. Quit trying to figure out if your woman is faking - either put up with it or leave - end of story.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:36 AM

15 posts, read 11,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Every woman is different. Quit trying to figure out if your woman is faking - either put up with it or leave - end of story.
Uhh...Where in the hell did you get the idea I was trying to see if she was faking???

It's usually quite clear she's in some pain, I was just curious if there's any real equivalent to a pain a man could feel in comparison.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:28 AM

4,612 posts, read 3,548,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That feeling when you're going to have diarrhea, like your guts are twisting and you've got an extreme amount of pressure, but instead of being able to pass gas or have a bowel movement to relieve the pressure, you're just stuck with that twisting pressure pain feeling for a couple of days.

The worse ones feel like you're trying to pass a kidney stone, like something just needs to come out and you're sweating buckets and can't lie down or sit still because there's so much extreme pressure, and then you vomit from the pain and it doesn't do anything to relieve the pressure.
^^^^ Exactly my experience, too. Add to all that excruciating lower back pain.

Not sure what one condition would include all of those for a man.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:42 AM

1,205 posts, read 919,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulone828 View Post
So my gf can often get painful cramps when she's on the rag and I do try to help as in I have gone to the store to buy her pads, tampons, midol etc. But really she doesn't like to talk about it which I can understand.

My question is for a man what would you say is the closest equivalent pain a man can get to what period cramps are like? How bad are they usually for you and does it impair your ability to function at all? My gf just stays in bed and covers up not saying much.

On a scale of 1-10 how painful would you rate yours on average? The worst pain I have felt is from an infected tooth, and while obviously not equivalent I can say the pain was something I wouldn't want my worst enemy to have lol. What do you think would be worse to go through, bad cramps or a bad tooth ache?
I have painful periods, to the point they have ruined my life. I am not saying that for drama. My life would have been different if I didn't have to put it on hold every three weeks. It changed my career path and my relationships.

Before someone pipes up about "going to the doctor" - I complained for 35 years; there is "nothing wrong with me" per every MD I visited.

I am not a man, hard to compare, but, when I went into labor, I didn't think it was so bad because it felt like menstrual cramps, just a bit worse but not really. Like it went from 8 to a 9.

I've had an abscess tooth OP too but the pain cant be compared, based on location I think. The tooth was in my head so it took over more, just like when I have a migraine. Plus it feels different. I do think the abscess was more painful, maybe if that were 10 bad cramping is 8. It feels like your uterus is being squeezed and twisted like a wet rag you are wringing out but then will go down a little bit then squeeze again, etc. The tooth OTOH is nonstop pain and you cant even sleep through it.

Think about food poisoning cramps you might have had and how it felt at the worst moment of the experience. Now expand that 24-72 hours nonstop. It can be like that. Understand too she might be vomiting, be having a migraine, having painful joints, and the back pain someone mentioned. It can be literally so bad that it actually hurts to even say "Hello" in the morning. I too want nothing touching me, even clothes "hurt", especially in the mid section.

Old 03-14-2016, 08:53 AM

1,205 posts, read 919,803 times
You didn't ask for advice on how to treat her but don't use Midol. Use Aleve or get a prescription strength of it (500 mg) to Aleve's 225 mg.

Naprosyn/Naproxyn (sp?) blocks the enzyme that causes the cramps. It likely will help a lot more than Midol which is Acetaminophen - a totally different pain reliever type.

No more than 1100 mg every 12 hrs or you will do damage. Eat with it; if she can't eat because she feels so sick, have her drink milk. I do chocolate milk because it goes down easier. If she only needs one Aleve she is a lucky girl.

Please have her try a new pain reliever. It might really make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness