U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 12:42 PM

37,547 posts, read 23,576,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
You know that pain when you hit your thumb with a hammer? Really hard? And you're kinda breathless for a minute waiting for it to bloom? Then when it hits - it makes you gasp and makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up? Yeah, that's kinda what it's like. Only you don't know when it will hit, and it's internal - you can't brace for it, you can't tense up or stretch out and have that help. Really all you can do is try to breath through it.

Now, pretend your thumb is deep inside your pelvis, connected to your genitals, and it's getting hit by an imaginary hammer several times an hour, at strengths that go from a mild tap to a full force pound (but you don't know which one it will be) - that gasping, blooming pain. Sometimes you take so many 'hits' you start to feel nauseous (well, you may feel that from the flood of hormones too), and the rest of your body feels tired and achy as well. Plus you're bleeding from your crotch, or you're about to, which is guaranteed to make you feel like the least desirable human in the world. Now, get up and go do stuff while you're getting hit by an imaginary hammer internally, and bleeding from your private parts. It'll probably even make you feel better, but it's the laaast thing in the world you feel like doing.

Fortunately, I only experience minimal cramping most of the time. My sister OTOH gets both bad cramps and migraines.

That "blooming" pain describes it perfectly for me. Mine weren't as severe as a hammer blow, but it's different for everyone.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 02:17 PM

5,193 posts, read 4,396,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Going swimming on the first day or two of the curse can cause cramps. Also avoid things like horseback riding and square dancing. A hot water bottle on the tummy can be helpful.
- circa 1929. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Ain't that the truth! This comment sums up the whole experience is four short words My cramps have gotten a lot worse over the years, especially this past year. I am 39 years old, and I'm not sure why that is. The weird thing is, I have very light periods, so light that I can't wear tampons without painful dryness. I am now using the menstrual cup, and that device is fantastic! I am surprised more women don't use it. It's much more comfortable, you can wear each one longer, and you can have sex with it in. As for the cramps, I now have them longer and must use a heating pad for a couple of days. They are by no means disabling compared to other women's, but they hurt a good deal more than before and I also get a migraine headache at the beginning of each cycle. All I need is Ibuprofen, the heating pad, and a headache pill for those 2-3 days, however.

To the ladies who take Ibuprofen, I have a tip for you: I take high dose Ibuprofen during that time (800 mg,) and your doc can write an RX for that high dose or even higher (also Tylenol and maybe others), and if you have insurance, you can buy it super cheap on your plan, because it's covered as a generic Tier I prescription drug. I got 90 of the 800 mg Ibuprofen pills for $6.00 with my insurance, which is a heck of a lot cheaper than popping 4 over the counter Walmart generics repeatedly, which add up quickly.
Same for me. My periods were bad as a teen, tapered off in my twenties, and are awful in my late 30s. I mean cramps so bad I can barely walk.

The cup sounds messy. My periods are heavy though - not sure that would work.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:55 PM

16,453 posts, read 9,935,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
- circa 1929. LOL

Same for me. My periods were bad as a teen, tapered off in my twenties, and are awful in my late 30s. I mean cramps so bad I can barely walk.

It is messy; I won't lie. But it's not any messier than tampons. Blood is blood; with the cup it's just more visible than with your tampons. There is a bit of a learning curve when I first started using it, like with other women, but it was so worth it for me because otherwise I would have been stuck using those Pampers diaper-like pads since tampons became so painful. For women with heavy periods, it holds a great deal of blood, and you only have to change it every 12 hours (you read that right).

There are two types: the disposable ones (sold as the Instead brand) and the reusable ones (various brands). The reusable cups often have measurement lines so you can track how much you're bleeding each cycle if that's a concern. With the reusable ones, you boil them in between periods to sterilize and they are much cheaper than tampons. Plus they are way more comfortable. You can't even feel it when it's in. I never thought they would work either. I thought they would be gross and uncomfortable until my little sister told me about them and gave me some. Once I started using them about a year ago, I never went back to tampons.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:03 PM

86,046 posts, read 79,200,521 times
A friend of mine would take 1 or 2 days off work every month at the beginning of her period, and lie in bed with the pain. In my case, I eventually found out the extreme pain was due to a thyroid problem. Ibuprofen really helped.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:23 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,446,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
It is messy; I won't lie. But it's not any messier than tampons. Blood is blood; with the cup it's just more visible than with your tampons. There is a bit of a learning curve when I first started using it, like with other women, but it was so worth it for me because otherwise I would have been stuck using those Pampers diaper-like pads since tampons became so painful. For women with heavy periods, it holds a great deal of blood, and you only have to change it every 12 hours (you read that right).

There are two types: the disposable ones (sold as the Instead brand) and the reusable ones (various brands). The reusable cups often have measurement lines so you can track how much you're bleeding each cycle if that's a concern. With the reusable ones, you boil them in between periods to sterilize and they are much cheaper than tampons. Plus they are way more comfortable. You can't even feel it when it's in. I never thought they would work either. I thought they would be gross and uncomfortable until my little sister told me about them and gave me some. Once I started using them about a year ago, I never went back to tampons.
I just read online that the Diva cup holds 60ml. A super plus tampon absorbs 10ml. I normally change tampons every 2 hours for two days. A Diva cup would hold me for 12 hours. Wish I'd known that before...

Old 03-15-2016, 04:34 PM

1,308 posts, read 892,981 times
My cramps for the most part aren't severe but when they're bad, they're worse for me to handle than toothache.
The uterus muscles are squeezing the endometrium and as a consequence, everything in the tummy region is in pain. It's such a wide affected area, and the pain comes and goes, comes and goes. Is it over yet? NOPE! Here's some more pain again.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:35 PM

11,423 posts, read 22,587,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
- circa 1929. LOL

The cup isn't too messy, once you're past that learning curve that Scooby mentioned. I couldn't use the disposable Instead cups, something about my cervix and the way the cup sits made it impossible. The reusable ones though, are great. You fold the cup to insert it and then rotate it until it pops open inside of you. When you take it out, you empty it in the toilet and wash it in the sink. It holds enough that you usually don't have to empty it when you're out of the house, but in a pinch you could empty it and put it back in without washing it, and just wash it when you got home. If you were emptying the cup in a toilet stall, you'd want to take a few wet paper towels in with you in case of mess.

To give you an idea of how much it holds, I have one day each period where I would go through a whole box of super plus tampons, changing the tampon two or three times an hour. On that day, I have to empty the cup once an hour. The rest of my cycle, I can get by with emptying the cup every 12 hours. I have to use a pad for backup during the night for two or three days, but I had to do the same with tampons.

Some people say the cramps are better with a menstrual cup. Personally, my cramps are just as bad with the cup, but there are other advantages to the cup...it cost $30 but I've used it a year and a half so far, making it much cheaper than tampons. There's also nothing gross to put in the bathroom trash. There's no risk of toxic shock syndrome. Only having to empty it once every 12 hours during most of the period is a big advantage too.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:50 PM

62 posts, read 56,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefulone828 View Post
So my gf can often get painful cramps when she's on the rag and I do try to help as in I have gone to the store to buy her pads, tampons, midol etc. But really she doesn't like to talk about it which I can understand.

My question is for a man what would you say is the closest equivalent pain a man can get to what period cramps are like? How bad are they usually for you and does it impair your ability to function at all? My gf just stays in bed and covers up not saying much.

On a scale of 1-10 how painful would you rate yours on average? The worst pain I have felt is from an infected tooth, and while obviously not equivalent I can say the pain was something I wouldn't want my worst enemy to have lol. What do you think would be worse to go through, bad cramps or a bad tooth ache?
As mentioned all women are different. When I was in my teens, cramps would double me over in pain and I was afraid to move because it hurt so bad. I had to go on birth control to regulate which did help with the cramps quite a lot. Later in life it settled down to more bearable cramping but up until this past year I would take as many as 9 Ibuprofen in a day at the beginning of my cycle to manage the pain so I could work. Altering my diet has helped. I have found a healthier diet helps to minimize the cramping so I now only take 4 Ibuprofen and these might be over two days rather that 15 over a two day period. My head still feels a bit fuzzy though and back ache is still an issue as well as tender breasts but again not as much as before I changed to a healthier diet.

A hot water bottle may help and lying down definitely helps. King Brand advocates that the BFST back wrap helps. I personally haven't tried it so can't tell you from personal experience on that one. If you want to show you care maybe see if a back rub would be welcome.

Old 03-15-2016, 06:22 PM

5,919 posts, read 5,859,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
To give you an idea of how much it holds, I have one day each period where I would go through a whole box of super plus tampons, changing the tampon two or three times an hour. On that day, I have to empty the cup once an hour. The rest of my cycle, I can get by with emptying the cup every 12 hours. I have to use a pad for backup during the night for two or three days, but I had to do the same with tampons.

I actually don't complain about getting my period. And one of the reasons for that is because I feel awful for people who need an entire box of tampons for one day! The money you must spend...

Holy crap. I can't even imagine. If I remember correctly, you have PCOS?

Old 03-15-2016, 07:08 PM

11,423 posts, read 22,587,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post

I actually don't complain about getting my period. And one of the reasons for that is because I feel awful for people who need an entire box of tampons for one day! The money you must spend...

Holy crap. I can't even imagine. If I remember correctly, you have PCOS?
No PCOS, I had endometrial hyperplasia which caused a lot of bleeding, but meds cleared up the hyperplasia but didn't do anything for the bleeding. Then I had a polyp removed and my period was light for a few months after that. It started getting heavy again and my doctor suggested a Mirena IUD, which did make my period lighter but came out on its own. Now I have a fibroid and another polyp and my doctor says a hysterectomy is the next step, but I'm not sure I'm ready for it.

I've had much worse bleeding before. I know that one really heavy day like that a month won't make me anemic. I have pills to take if the heavy bleeding lasts more than a few days...I had a bleeding episode that lasted two weeks, using a box of tampons and 6 or 7 overnight pads a day, and I had to have two transfusions after that, so I'm really careful not to let things get to that stage.

The menstrual cup is much cheaper than tampons, with as many as I would go through. I paid $28 for the cup and I've used it for a year and a half, so that would have been about $150 worth of tampons, unless I found them on sale. (Used to buy like 20 boxes when they had a coupon that made them $1.75/box).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness