Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2016, 10:15 AM

876 posts, read 1,000,715 times

Advertisements

I was reading this article and this stuck out to me:

"Studies have shown that people who engage in the amount of exercise recommended by the feds live an average of three to seven years longer than couch potatoes"

Does Exercise Really Make You Healthier? - Scientific American

That...doesn't really sound all that impressive.

I mean don't get me wrong, that's still 3-7 years and I am sure people who exercise feel better during the day. But considering all of the pro-exercise propaganda we are told one would have assumed that exercise would have a great effect on lifespan. A few extra years for a lifetime of exercise doesn't seem terribly impressive to be honest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2016, 10:33 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,135,000 times
"The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) late this year released its new Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, calling for adults between the ages of 18 and 64 to exercise moderately (such as brisk walking or water aerobics) for at least two hours and 30 minutes or vigorously (running, swimming, or cycling 10 mph or faster) for at least an hour and 15 minutes weekly."

^^^From the article... that is not much exercise, what I would call 'basic maintenance exercise.'

It goes on to say:
"The longer, harder and more often you exercise, the greater the health benefits, including reducing the risk of diseases such as cancer and diabetes, according to the recommendations, which were based on a decade of scientific research."

Factor in someone who exercises more than that, perhaps the 3-7 years turns into 7-12+ years. And consider quality of life, plenty of people can live til their 80s, but their last decade or more can be a highly degraded, low quality of life.

So I'll double-down on the value of exercise, absolutely.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:36 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times
3-7 years extra? Works for me.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:44 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
I'm not really concerned if my exercising will help me live 3-7 years longer or not, especially since I have no way of knowing what my cause of death will be and if it will be related to my workouts or lack thereof. I'm concerned with looking hot, and that's why I exercise

Old 03-15-2016, 12:45 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
An hour and 15 minutes a week?!! I guess when I do yard work I have met the minimum, and the extra 4-6 hours is bonus life.

As you get older that 3-7 years is important.

They didn't address how much it increases your quality of life though (I didn't read it).

Three to seven years in a hospital bed? No, I'll pass. The same traveling? I'm all in!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-15-2016, 05:42 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times
I noticed people that like to go for long walks tend to live longer than people that dont

you dont need to run marathons or be a body builder to stay in good shape, those types of activities seem to shorten lives or cause more "wear & tear"

Old 03-15-2016, 06:11 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I'm not really concerned if my exercising will help me live 3-7 years longer or not, especially since I have no way of knowing what my cause of death will be and if it will be related to my workouts or lack thereof. I'm concerned with looking hot, and that's why I exercise
Yeah baby, you and me both! ^^

Old 03-15-2016, 06:26 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkarin View Post
I was reading this article and this stuck out to me:

"Studies have shown that people who engage in the amount of exercise recommended by the feds live an average of three to seven years longer than couch potatoes"

Does Exercise Really Make You Healthier? - Scientific American

That...doesn't really sound all that impressive.

I mean don't get me wrong, that's still 3-7 years and I am sure people who exercise feel better during the day. But considering all of the pro-exercise propaganda we are told one would have assumed that exercise would have a great effect on lifespan. A few extra years for a lifetime of exercise doesn't seem terribly impressive to be honest...

Perhaps those who are living 3-7 years longer are REALLY living. I think quality of life is much more important. You have plenty of people being kept alive artificially.

What did you expect---some outrageous number like twenty years???

Old 03-16-2016, 06:35 AM

876 posts, read 1,000,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
What did you expect---some outrageous number like twenty years???
At least 10+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness