Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 07:14 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,550,809 times

Advertisements

Did a doctor tell you to drop caffeine from your diet? there is nothing wrong with having coffee or tea unless you have a medical issue like high anxiety or something else that would have an adverse reaction to caffeine. Giving up diet soda is GOOD!! Your body will thank you for it. it's absolute garbage.

ETA: I just read your later reply about just wanting to quit the diet coke. good for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 07:16 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,550,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
Lexapro is an anti-depressant. Xanax is a depressant. I.m not a doctor but those two medicines contradict each other and could be the cause right there.
Not true. I know someone who was on both SSRI and xanax while phasing into the former med. Under a Doc's supervision, it would be ok.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:25 AM

3,680 posts, read 2,960,864 times
For the record.....tea has caffeine. As do the vast majority of soft drinks. Pepsi was the original energy drink.

I don't think that small to moderate amounts of caffeine are harmful.

Old 03-22-2016, 08:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,463,206 times
IMO I do not think the amount of caffeine in soda is enough to do anything. I completely quit drinking sodas years ago and I could literally fall asleep right after drinking one. So I cannot see that it would cause any physical withdrawals. As for psychological that is another matter. There's a bunch of other bad stuff in soda as well. I drink strong coffee while at work just so I can keep alert but I certainly don't need it. I could get fired for dosing off so that is my main motivation. It does not even cross my mind that I need it.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:06 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,850,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
I take Losinaprel (spelling) for BP, Lexapro and generic Xanax for sleep. But I have also had ringing for years concerts, Woodstock movie, etc. "They" say the ringing cannot be treated. Anyone had treatment or meds for this ? Would love to know...Thanks
Lisinopril can cause ringing ears.

I had some side effects from lisinopril and didn't realize I had them until I stopped taking it, because they came on gradually. The most dramatic one I had was a red rash on my face, which made my doctors decide I had to be tested for autoimmune disease, but when I stopped taking the lisinopril, the rash went away after about a month.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:15 AM

676 posts, read 935,720 times
Default Diet Coke

Well, thank you for the "atta girl" quitting Diet Coke. It HAS made such a difference in my mental status. I have coffee in the am and that's about it. Caffeine is still my friend. Thank you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Did a doctor tell you to drop caffeine from your diet? there is nothing wrong with having coffee or tea unless you have a medical issue like high anxiety or something else that would have an adverse reaction to caffeine. Giving up diet soda is GOOD!! Your body will thank you for it. it's absolute garbage.

ETA: I just read your later reply about just wanting to quit the diet coke. good for you.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:41 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,776,449 times
Quote:
I have decided to stop drinking Diet Coke..bottom line is I have had a headache for about a week after I stopped Coke, ringing in my ears worse than usual.. can someone tell me what withdrawing does to you and how long does it last ? Also is there anything I can do for my symptoms until it is out of my system completely. Thank you.
Well, I quit buying coffee and that was 2 quarts a day of coffee....Now? 1 cup at work.

Haven't had any withdrawal issues yet...No headaches....

Old 03-22-2016, 12:29 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,464,336 times
Quote:
I have decided to stop drinking Diet Coke..bottom line is I have had a headache for about a week after I stopped Coke, ringing in my ears worse than usual.. can someone tell me what withdrawing does to you and how long does it last ? Also is there anything I can do for my symptoms until it is out of my system completely. Thank you.
Your headache shouldn't have lasted more than a day or two. Maybe the ringing in your ears isn't related to the Coke. Caffeine withdrawal can include sweating, vomiting, shaky hands and a terrible headache, but I've never heard of ear ringing.

You should consider calling your doctor.

Good for you for quitting the soda. It's terrible stuff. The caffeine isn't the worst of those ingredients.

Last edited by Javacoffee; 03-22-2016 at 01:42 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 01:54 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,664,555 times
The healthiest way to get caffeine is black coffee. It's a taste that needs to be cultivated, but there are some health benefits, and you may live longer if you drink coffee. It's protective of such oddly diverse diseases as skin cancer and Parkinsons. Medical researchers recommend moderate consumption, about 2 or 3 cups a day. The drawbacks are digestive. If you have ulcers or colitis, coffee is not a good idea.

Unsweetened tea (camellia sinensis) is good, but causes kidney stones in some people, so steady consumption can lead to pretty painful results.

If you really want to be decadent, coffee makes a great seasoning for dark chocolate. It really brings out the flavor. When I bake a "death by chocolate" cake I use half a cup of instant coffee in the batter and frosting along with lots of cocoa. You can also buy an espresso machine and press cocoa and coffee together. It's bitter, so you will want to sweeten it and top it with whipped cream. Yum.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:04 PM

676 posts, read 935,720 times
Default Ringing Ears

Thank you. I will ask my doc if I can switch to something else that doesn't cause this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Lisinopril can cause ringing ears.

I had some side effects from lisinopril and didn't realize I had them until I stopped taking it, because they came on gradually. The most dramatic one I had was a red rash on my face, which made my doctors decide I had to be tested for autoimmune disease, but when I stopped taking the lisinopril, the rash went away after about a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness