U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2022, 06:01 AM

1 posts, read 106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I'm a male in my mid 40's. About a year ago I started have issues with veins bulging in tops of hands and feet when they are not elevated above my heart. Never had any issues with this before 1 year ago. I also feel a lot of pressure in the veins when they bulge. It's a daily thing I have to deal with now all day every day. Pain in the butt and looks like crap. I know it's relatively common among older people as I now have observed. But I seem to have a severe case of it for my age, none of my friends, family or anyone I know or see my age seems to have it to this extent in their hands.

My primary care doctor and a vascular surgeon I visited seemed to think it was not an issue. But I felt they looked at it very superficially and just got me in and out of their office like an assembly line. I'm just wondering if there is more of a major issue here I might have to be worrying about? Or if there is anything I can do to make it better besides trying to keep my feet and hands elevated above my heart when I can. I thought maybe there would be someone here on CD that experienced similar conditions.

I also have very low body fat (I'm in very good physical shape), so the veins show a lot more prominently in my hands vs. someone who carries a lot more body fat.
Hi ctr88, know this is an very old post but came across your posting while searching. Recently starting having bulging veins on hands and feet to the point where I feel discomfort sometimes pins/needles. Did you happen to find out what this condition is? Did it improve? Thks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2022, 06:16 AM

19,818 posts, read 16,891,668 times
I was told by a doctor to take Vitamin E ---helps the integrity of the vein wall itself.
No more than 800 iu is needed daily. I mean, if you feel like it.
Esp, helps if you find you are bruising easily...along with Vit K.
Lemme know if it helps.

Old 08-13-2022, 09:17 AM

466 posts, read 322,888 times
I have them too. I've had them since I was in my 40s. My mom had them. It has to do with how your subcutaneous fat distributes. This is genetic. I'm not thin by any means, but my genetics have given me almost zero subcutaneous fat on my hands and feet, and less and less with age. My hands are positively rope-y with large veins. Sometimes if my hands are down at my sides for a while I also feel the pressure. (I do not have high blood pressure.) Anyway, that bothers me less than how ugly they are. LOL.

I think if it's causing you pain or loss of functionality, though, like not being able to use a keyboard as much as you need to, then keep after medical help. Just because one doctor tells you it's very common and not a problem (that is true, by the way) it doesn't mean it's not a problem for you. Do be aware though that there may not be much of anything to do about it.

Last edited by Jessie Mitchell; 08-13-2022 at 09:32 AM..

Old 08-13-2022, 02:34 PM

6,810 posts, read 3,224,643 times
My hairdresser had big bulging veins on the top of her hands. She was 40ish. She was also very thin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness