Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 11:31 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,524,199 times

Advertisements

Several Biotech companies announced that within the next several months the first trials of Embryonic Stem Cells in Humans will start.

These are Geron, Advance Cell Technology, and Neuralstem.
Geron plans to begin human stem cell tests within months - Feb. 11, 2008

Here's a cool 2 min video of Paralysed Rats dragging their legs and then with Stem Cells they are walking again in 3 months.

YouTube - Stem Cells
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 11:49 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,734,683 times
We'd already have all these good things from stem cells if the <insert pejorative of choice here> didn't keep trying to block it because they think it's somehow destroying life.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:21 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,336,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
We'd already have all these good things from stem cells if the <insert pejorative of choice here> didn't keep trying to block it because they think it's somehow destroying life.
*sigh*

Yeah. It's not destroying life. It doesn't have the potential to start a breeding program just to keep other people alive.

But why would one ever think about these things? They're just eggs, and our President is a complete moron for not jumping on the bandwagon and offering up our citizens' valuable taxpayer money in order to fund more studies. He's actually making companies pay for it without federal funds. What a PIG! Oh, sure, he's for "adult" stem cell research, and "cord blood" stem cell research, but that's just not the same. Why is it not the same? Well, we can't really say. It just isn't.

Riiiiiiiight.

A little about stem cells: NIH Information on Stem Cells, Embryonic and Adult

Last edited by Mom2Feebs; 02-13-2008 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: to add link.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:28 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,734,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
*sigh*

Yeah. It's not destroying life. It doesn't have the potential to start a breeding program just to keep other people alive.

But why would one ever think about these things? They're just eggs, and our President is a complete moron for not jumping on the bandwagon and offering up our citizens' valuable taxpayer money in order to fund more studies. He's actually making companies pay for it without federal funds. What a PIG! Oh, sure, he's for "adult" stem cell research, and "cord blood" stem cell research, but that's just not the same. Why is it not the same? Well, we can't really say. It just isn't.

Riiiiiiiight.
Adult stem cells are not the same as embryonic stem cells. And I'd rather the cells that are currently being destroyed were used in a fruitful manner rather than just going into the incinerator. But hey, what do I know? Maybe it is better to waste them than to use them to sustain or improve life.

Let's "kill" them for no reason because that's way way better than to "kill" them and cure disease.

Oh, and edit here: if I could save a life by donating my eggs I would. It's no different than donating any other body part as far as I'm concerned. I have thousands of extra eggs that I'll never use, I'd love to put them to work saving lives.

Last edited by RoaminRed; 02-13-2008 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: **Added content...

Old 02-19-2008, 12:56 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,336,270 times
Just an update:

Stem cells may actually cause cancer (http://www.click2houston.com/health/15341540/detail.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness