Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you have side effects with statin drugs?
Yes – I have developed a side effect taking the drug 20 48.78%
No – I take the drug but no side effect 16 39.02%
Don’t know – I don’t know if my issues are side effects or not. 4 9.76%
Maybe – I didn’t know statin drugs have any side effects 1 2.44%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 04:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,655,017 times

Advertisements

We need good fats and so much info now on "cholesterol is NOT the issue".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 05:01 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
We need good fats and so much info now on "cholesterol is NOT the issue".
I am reading more and more about Cholesterol not being the bad guy we were told it was years ago but I am on a mild dose of statin. The doctor started me on a slightly higher dose. The doctor I used to use just kept increasing the dosage even though my cholesterol wasn't really all that high. Thank God for my new doctor. She knew I was concerned about taking too much. My cholesterol runs right at 200 total, maybe a little less with both bad and good in an acceptable range. thus I am now down to the min dosage given. I am a firm believer many of us are over medicated these days and it just seems to get worse.

Old 05-21-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am reading more and more about Cholesterol not being the bad guy we were told it was years ago but I am on a mild dose of statin. The doctor started me on a slightly higher dose. The doctor I used to use just kept increasing the dosage even though my cholesterol wasn't really all that high. Thank God for my new doctor. She knew I was concerned about taking too much. My cholesterol runs right at 200 total, maybe a little less with both bad and good in an acceptable range. thus I am now down to the min dosage given. I am a firm believer many of us are over medicated these days and it just seems to get worse.

I LOVE Dr. Sinatra's information on all this BAD cholesterol and statin stuff. We've been sold a bill of goods, don't know which fear came first the cholesterol or statins. I never heard the word cholesterol until about 15 yrs ago or so....Never in my parents' lives.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:13 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,433,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I LOVE Dr. Sinatra's information on all this BAD cholesterol and statin stuff. We've been sold a bill of goods, don't know which fear came first the cholesterol or statins. I never heard the word cholesterol until about 15 yrs ago or so....Never in my parents' lives.
I agree; well maybe 30 years ago, but still it seems no one really knows what causes or contributes to heart attacks. the same as high BP and sodium. Now, we read sodium probably has little to do with BP except maybe causing fluid retention.

The first time my mom in law had her cholesterol checked it was 341 total. She was probably close to 80. Never did she take meds for it. Eventually it came down to about 250. She still didn't take anything. I think it did drop, partially do to cutting back on the amount of food she ate. Anyway, long story short: she died at 97 and not from heart trouble. My dad left the world at 93, again never took statin drugs I don't think and drank like a fish. He was extremely active until about a year before he died. he had a stroke, which slowed him down mentally as well as physically.

How about don't eat eggs or butter and stay away from coconut oil. Now, eat eggs if you want, don't worry about butter, it is better than margarine and coconut oil is the newest trend both for cooking and skin.

I have said this over and over; everything should be done in moderation. Health mostly is genetic. We can use common sense, pay attention to what we are being told, use testing to determine possible concerns but we do not have to over react, nor should we believe everything we read based on this or that study.

Old 05-21-2016, 01:41 PM

Yeah, it's probably 30 yrs since the cholesterol revolution. My parents had no clue about their cholesterol and they both lived into 90's and hearts both strong to their ends...neither one smoked so that was a saving factor for them I'm sure.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,147,660 times
I was diagnosed this July with Diabetes type ll. My new GP put me on Metformin HCL 500mg, Glipizide XL 2.5 mg and Atorvastatin 40mg(substituted for Lipitor). I am a 64 year old, female.

I seemed fine until about 2 weeks ago, when I had blood in my urine. This happened on a Sun, Sept. 18, 2016. Mon. morning, the next day I called and spoke to my Dr.'s nurse who told me to come in. My Dr. wasn't available, so I saw another Dr. who had me give a urine sample, and then prescribed an antibiotic.

I discussed taking myself off of the statin drug, and she said they usually look for more symptoms before assuming it is the problem. I took one more that night, and decided the next day to stop taking the statin.

I had an apt with my Dietician related to my newly diagnosed Diabetes, who made me feel more confident about my decision...saying that it certainly was my choice whether to take a prescribed medication or not. And said it takes about 2 weeks for the drug to be out of my system.

On Sept. 21 when the Dr. called to speak to me I told her that I would not be taking them anymore. We discussed my finishing the antibiotic, and that she had written an order for additional urine test for Oct. 4.

I called and asked to have her call me back on Sept. 28th and I told her that I still had dark urine, had finished the antibiotics, and wanted to wait until Oct. 11 to come in for the follow-up urine test, because I wanted to make sure it was beyond the predicted 2 weeks since I'd taken myself off the statin.

She said that would be fine and she would receive the results when she got back from Vaca.

That weekend (Oct 1&2) I had a particularly painful bout of back pain, and it looked like I had more blood in my urine which frightened me. So, I called the Dr.'s office that Mon. Oct. 3, and spoke again to my primary's nurse who advised me to come right in and scheduled an appointment for me with a different Dr.

This Dr. ordered my urine sample, and visited with me, downplaying the blood in the urine as a side effect, saying they look for other side effects and that the dark urine "urethra" sp? usually only effects 2%. I said well it is likely I am that 2%.

She wanted me to go to a ururolgy for a procedure that involves general anesthesia, and using a camera going into your urethra and check your bladder. The desk tried to schedule me with urology, and was told I had to have a CT first.

I am scheduled for the CT this Fri. Oct. 7th. I am scared that this urology procedure is not necessary....and scared also not to do it. I honestly feel in my gut that the meds caused this blood in my urine. But, because I smoke, the Dr. is concerned it could be bladder cancer.

Now I am trying to decide if I should wait a little longer for blood to subside, since I was told the effects of the statin wear off. I am considering cancelling the CT and putting it off for at least a few weeks.

Reading this thread for information about other's with side effects is very scary I'm not willing to undergo that urology procedure unless I have to....And am a bit comforted that I was made to have a CT first, which makes me think they don't do these type procedures without justification. It is a very scary predicament.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had this procedure. Or any issues like this with statin drugs. TY

Old 10-05-2016, 07:07 AM

9,260 posts, read 14,834,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I was diagnosed this July with Diabetes type ll. My new GP put me on Metformin HCL 500mg, Glipizide XL 2.5 mg and Atorvastatin 40mg(substituted for Lipitor). I am a 64 year old, female.

I seemed fine until about 2 weeks ago, when I had blood in my urine. This happened on a Sun, Sept. 18, 2016. Mon. morning, the next day I called and spoke to my Dr.'s nurse who told me to come in. My Dr. wasn't available, so I saw another Dr. who had me give a urine sample, and then prescribed an antibiotic.

I discussed taking myself off of the statin drug, and she said they usually look for more symptoms before assuming it is the problem. I took one more that night, and decided the next day to stop taking the statin.

I had an apt with my Dietician related to my newly diagnosed Diabetes, who made me feel more confident about my decision...saying that it certainly was my choice whether to take a prescribed medication or not. And said it takes about 2 weeks for the drug to be out of my system.

On Sept. 21 when the Dr. called to speak to me I told her that I would not be taking them anymore. We discussed my finishing the antibiotic, and that she had written an order for additional urine test for Oct. 4.

I called and asked to have her call me back on Sept. 28th and I told her that I still had dark urine, had finished the antibiotics, and wanted to wait until Oct. 11 to come in for the follow-up urine test, because I wanted to make sure it was beyond the predicted 2 weeks since I'd taken myself off the statin.

She said that would be fine and she would receive the results when she got back from Vaca.

That weekend (Oct 1&2) I had a particularly painful bout of back pain, and it looked like I had more blood in my urine which frightened me. So, I called the Dr.'s office that Mon. Oct. 3, and spoke again to my primary's nurse who advised me to come right in and scheduled an appointment for me with a different Dr.

This Dr. ordered my urine sample, and visited with me, downplaying the blood in the urine as a side effect, saying they look for other side effects and that the dark urine "urethra" sp? usually only effects 2%. I said well it is likely I am that 2%.

She wanted me to go to a ururolgy for a procedure that involves general anesthesia, and using a camera going into your urethra and check your bladder. The desk tried to schedule me with urology, and was told I had to have a CT first.

I am scheduled for the CT this Fri. Oct. 7th. I am scared that this urology procedure is not necessary....and scared also not to do it. I honestly feel in my gut that the meds caused this blood in my urine. But, because I smoke, the Dr. is concerned it could be bladder cancer.

Now I am trying to decide if I should wait a little longer for blood to subside, since I was told the effects of the statin wear off. I am considering cancelling the CT and putting it off for at least a few weeks.

Reading this thread for information about other's with side effects is very scary I'm not willing to undergo that urology procedure unless I have to....And am a bit comforted that I was made to have a CT first, which makes me think they don't do these type procedures without justification. It is a very scary predicament.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone else who has had this procedure. Or any issues like this with statin drugs. TY
If I were you, I'd go with my gut and put off the urology procedure. It is necessary for the dr (lawsuit?) more than it is for you, since you didn't have this issue before you started the heavy meds.

Needless to say, and as hard as it may be to do, you really need to concentrate on the dietician (Type 11 diabetes is curable!) and quitting smoking before you kill yourself.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:33 AM

37,030 posts, read 41,087,048 times
Quote:

It is highly unlikely that the statin is causing blood in your urine, since that is a pretty rare side effect with them.

Statins are prescribed for diabetics because diabetes confers the same risk for heart attack as people with known heart disease have. Statins have actually been shown to protect the kidneys, too.

Nearly All Diabetic People Should Be on Cholesterol-Lowering Drugs: Experts

You have blood in your urine that did not clear up when you took the antibiotic. That needs further evaluation. You have a legitimate medical indication for the CT and the cystoscopy (the camera procedure). If you do have a bladder cancer, the sooner it is found and treated, the better. The episode of back pain also raises the possibility of a kidney stone - which is a higher probability than a cancer.

Stop smoking today. That will lessen the risk from anesthesia.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-05-2016 at 08:27 AM..

Old 10-05-2016, 08:05 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,147,660 times
Thank you both, Hollytree and suzyq_2010 for your responses. I do appreciate you for taking the time to reply to my questions, and for your suggestions. It does help.

I hope others will way in also. Thank you.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:58 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,332,840 times
Quote:
Thank you both, Hollytree and suzyq_2010 for your responses. I do appreciate you for taking the time to reply to my questions, and for your suggestions. It does help.

I hope others will way in also. Thank you.
I, too, think that the blood in your urine is not an indication for bladder cancer.

Since you are complaining of back ache I guess it could be due to some kidney problems, also the blood in the urine. Maybe kidney stones. Do not go for this urology procedure! They should make a urine analysis and determine the amount of calcium in your urine, this gives clues to the presence of kidney stones. Also, ask for an abdomenal scan for the kidneys.
Good luck, stop the statin and keep us updated, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness