Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2016, 02:52 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,489,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Most of the uncomfortable symptoms from a cold or the flu are cause by your immune system reaction to it. You'd feel better if you had a weaker immune system.

Best way to avoid colds and flu is to wash your hands, and when you don't wash them keep them away from your eyes, nose and mouth.

Yes, the flu vax might help, but you're unlikely to be getting the flu even every year, let alone more than once a year.
Thank you can't rep again ( too much in the last 24 hours )

I've got a chemist ( drugs store I think you call them ) that offers it so I'll pop over tmrw and get it done

Again thank you for the sound advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2016, 03:00 PM

48,436 posts, read 34,627,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Most of the uncomfortable symptoms from a cold or the flu are cause by your immune system reaction to it. You'd feel better if you had a weaker immune system.

Best way to avoid colds and flu is to wash your hands, and when you don't wash them keep them away from your eyes, nose and mouth.

Yes, the flu vax might help, but you're unlikely to be getting the flu even every year, let alone more than once a year.
While the symptoms are a result of your immune system fighting off what ever germ, a low immune system would make you succumb to the infection.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-22-2016, 03:09 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,655,017 times
The misery and agony of those cancer sticks....so so glad I never picked up that habit, both my parents never smoked so I'm sure that helped save me. My dad did everyone's share of drinking and he lived to almost 96...unbelievable. but never smoked. I can't imagine how hard it is to stop, but all habits can be stopped. If I really wanted to I'd stopped drinking coffee (2 cups daily) but I read it's not really that bad so it does give me my daily lift to move body and mind.

I hope my grandkids keep their bodies free of smokes, they saw their dad die and see a couple uncles pretty messed up with cancers too, so hopefully they have good sense.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:31 AM

18,761 posts, read 11,755,546 times
[quote=Londoncowboy30;44148695]That's the thing, I only started smoking regularly at 23/24 ( 31 now ) and used to get them quite frequently as to my job more than anything but of course you make sense and I actually had an appointment with a hypnotist to stop but rescheduled

I think the touching my face with dirty hands is them main reason.... I sweat at work as its physical and I often touch my face ( to wipe the sweat ) with dirty hands but I'll start wearing gloves at work that should help

Thank you for such an informative post AC

I'm glad you are still young and haven't been smoking long. I know you think you're invincible at your age but your quality of life later could easily be drastically affected.

Yes you hear the argument that Uncle so and so smoked into his 90's without any ill effects, but he was the exception and not the norm.

Why play Russian roulette with you health for the sake of a nasty habit? I hope you follow through with quitting.

I carry those alcohol hand wipes with me every where I go during cold and flu season. Some grocery stores provide wipes to use on the carts as well. I'm amazed at how few people use them. The ones I carry are in separate little packages and fit in my pocket.

They come in handy for dog walkies and all that is left behind from that too.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:54 AM

8,452 posts, read 14,998,391 times
I've taken this multivitamin for 38 years. Available on Amazon; Nature's Plus Ultra One Daily Caps Iron Free--90 Vegetarian Capsules

Also advise as others have, get the annual flu shot
If you have trouble quitting smoking (but you will eventually succeed!), get the pneumovax shot (one-time shot, prevents 26 types of pneumonia)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness