Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 12:39 PM

350 posts, read 415,888 times

Advertisements

As a public service to all those who want to buy their eyeglasses on-line but need the pupillary distance (aka 'pd') here is an fyi.

The machine the optometrist uses to evaluate your new prescription has the pd on the machine. The machine that you look through is called a phoropter alternatively called a refractor. If the optometrist tells you he/she can't provide the pd they are lying. It is right there on the machine. Here's a link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phorop...im_Optiker.jpg.

The pd is displayed to the left of the knob above the nose. In this example, it looks as it is 64. The optometrist must have to adjust this in order for the lenses to work in evaluating the new prescription - this is my assumption.

Most optometrist's do not want to give you your pd since that is moving business away from them if they have their own eyeglass shop. They tell you that your pd will be determined when you choose your glasses.

Guess I am just steamed as this is what has been told to me time and again and today I find out
the pd is sitting there right on their machine. I don't like being lied to and you probably don't either.

Anyway, wish I knew this before I went into my exam, but at least others can use this info
to get their pd! If nothing else, after the exam just look at the machine to see what the
pd is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 07:02 PM

350 posts, read 415,888 times
Further clarification.....

The optometrist has to first determine and calibrate your pd on the refractor before he/she can
start adjusting the lenses to determine your new prescription.

I love youtube. Saw a video of of optometrist giving a demo of how to calibrate the refractor for an
exam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness