Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubletroubletime View Post
My son has many food allergies. But I suspect those were from the massive amounts of antibiotics I was given for the c-section and the antibiotics I was on twice during pregnancy. When I read about the connection between antibiotics, being too sanitary, and allergies, we started to change things. He's never been on antibiotics himself though. I'm pregnant again and doing everything I can to avoid antibiotics and a c-section this time around.
You suspect your son's food allergies are from antibiotics given to you at C section?

Wow.

Did you call the NEJM?!

Old 05-31-2016, 11:40 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Kids don't sweat; therefore, they don't stink. Of course rolling around in garbage or some such activity produces stink, but in general, kids don't stink, and they don't usually have scent perception, either, unless it's totally gross.
Kids don't sweat??!!!

Is this entire thread for real?

Old 05-31-2016, 11:49 AM

30,893 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Oh my....I'm not into the "anti-bacterial" stuff, either...but there is NO way I'd go even a day between baths or showers or some sort of washing!

You cannot "sanitize" yourself, nor should you try! But, a quick wash off with a bit of soap won't hurt you OR your immune system! Think of those around you, who have to look at you and smell you...please!
^^This is what I'm thinking. I will skip showering for a day here and there because the weather is mild where I live....but going weeks without showring is way too long.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:51 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I have to wash my hair every day because it would be unbearable after just one day. Yuck.
This doesn't work for everyone, but many people can "train" their hair not to need daily washing. Every time you shampoo, you are stripping oil from your scalp. In response, your scalp pours out even more oil to replace it. The result is greasy hair after just one day. But if you regularly go two, three or four days between shampoos, your scalp will respond by producing less oil and your hair will not be so greasy. Again, this doesn't work well for everyone and you do have to endure a "transition period" when your hair is oily, before it settles down. But it is definitely an option worth trying for people who don't want to wash their hair every single day for some reason.

And of course, hospital protocol about hand washing etc. is very stringent and ought to be. Most people at home or in their work environments don't need to be washing and sanitizing quite that much.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:17 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think you should probably get an unbiased opinion. Older people frequently start to stinkin, and they have no clue. I have narrowed "old man" smell down to dirty hair and dry cleaning fluid. Old lady smell is usually pee.
Oh, please, sweetie.... First of all, I am not an "old lady", and people usually tell me how good I smell, not that I care what you think.....

Old 05-31-2016, 12:18 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Where are so many germs and infections = hospitals.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:19 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Where do you get sandalwood powder? Or do you mean sandalwood scented talcum powder? I love that subtle scent of sandalwood. Does coconut oil lather?
I order it online (sandalwood powder). As for the coconut oil, no it does not lather. Coconut oil is antimicrobial and has natural detergent properties, so it does not need to lather. It smells rather nice, also.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:25 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Where are so many germs and infections = hospitals.
That's mostly 'cause a lot of sick people go there.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:18 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,426,661 times
Quote:
I dislike baths and showers. I probably shower once every few weeks, and bathe my kids every few weeks too. It's been about 3 weeks since my last shower and my hair is starting to feel a little greasy so it might be time. If we get visibly dirty or sweaty, I'll rinse us off with plain water. We do wipe certain areas (armpits, butt, etc) every day with water and apply some coconut oil. We just got through the past several months without even a cold. I really can't remember the last time we were sick, it has to be over a year. I hardly wash my hands, except in a public restroom or after touching raw meat or getting crap on my hands.

I used to shower all the time, and be very strict about baths everyday for the kids and always use antibacterial and bleach everything. We got sick a lot more, and winter was basically one long cold. Now we just clean everything with water, maybe a little vinegar if I'm feeling extra clean. I do bleach the inside of the toilet or the counter/sink if there has been raw meat there..... and no sickness or colds to speak of.

Why, when we go against all modern notions of personal hygiene, have we not gotten some horrible illness or been sick at all? Is the whole shower/wash hands/antibacterial soap thing a total scam? I see my friends sanitizing their kids hands all the time, and they are always getting sick.
I'm sure you all stink, you just can't smell it because you're used to it and your husband can't smell it because he's used to it. It sounds like you and the kids don't leave the house much so that's probably why nobody seems to complain is because you aren't around other people often enough for others to start complaining. Once the kids start going to school, it will be a different story. Don't continue this once your kids go to school unless you want all the other kids to make fun of them and ostracize them.

I just don't understand why someone would go to this much effort to not bathe. It probably takes more time to rinse, wipe and apply oil than it would for you to just take a shower. Yes, all the anti-bacterial stuff is overdone, but you've gone too far in the opposite direction.

Old 05-31-2016, 02:29 PM

772 posts, read 913,286 times
Quote:
I dislike baths and showers. I probably shower once every few weeks, and bathe my kids every few weeks too. It's been about 3 weeks since my last shower and my hair is starting to feel a little greasy so it might be time. If we get visibly dirty or sweaty, I'll rinse us off with plain water. We do wipe certain areas (armpits, butt, etc) every day with water and apply some coconut oil. We just got through the past several months without even a cold. I really can't remember the last time we were sick, it has to be over a year. I hardly wash my hands, except in a public restroom or after touching raw meat or getting crap on my hands.

I used to shower all the time, and be very strict about baths everyday for the kids and always use antibacterial and bleach everything. We got sick a lot more, and winter was basically one long cold. Now we just clean everything with water, maybe a little vinegar if I'm feeling extra clean. I do bleach the inside of the toilet or the counter/sink if there has been raw meat there..... and no sickness or colds to speak of.

Why, when we go against all modern notions of personal hygiene, have we not gotten some horrible illness or been sick at all? Is the whole shower/wash hands/antibacterial soap thing a total scam? I see my friends sanitizing their kids hands all the time, and they are always getting sick.

When I was a kid, I don't know why, but every time I showered I never used soap. I did that for years, nobody ever knew ...

nothing ever happened
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness