Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 07:05 PM

210 posts, read 393,698 times

Advertisements

I haven't been diagnosed with it though. I went to a clinic and told my symptoms to a doctor and said I believe I have a calcium deficiency. She told me I had to see a family doctor at another clinic. So I called this other clinic to apply for a family doctor and now I'm on their waiting list. So I don't know how long it will take.

Even though I haven't been diagnosed, I really believe I'm calcium deficient and have been treating myself with lots of calcium like almond beverages (4 cups a day), whole grains, etc. I've been noticing improvements almost everyday like less anxiety, less stomach problems, slightly improved sleep and feeling tired at night.

I really want to speed up this recovery. I've been thinking of using calcium supplements, but would it be safe if I haven't been properly diagnosed? I don't even know how long it would take to recover from this and I really want to live an improved better life. I tried searching online but all I could find was this Yahoo Answers page where one person mentioned it could take at least a year to get over it.....I seriously don't want to wait that long: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...0195622AA9rj1Q

What do you guys think I should do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 09:25 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Leafy green vegetables are high in calcium. Do a search for foods high in calcium.

Personally, I believe many take too much calcium and end up with deposits on some of their glands like the thyroid. I have a friend living with having part of her thyroid removed due to calcium deposits. Her doc pushed Tums on her for years.

For bone health there are other minerals and supps to take. I just posted in the Alternative area on bone health.

I don't use dairy except for some cheese, but know we can consume too much cheese too.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:49 AM

37,106 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post
I haven't been diagnosed with it though. I went to a clinic and told my symptoms to a doctor and said I believe I have a calcium deficiency. She told me I had to see a family doctor at another clinic. So I called this other clinic to apply for a family doctor and now I'm on their waiting list. So I don't know how long it will take.

Even though I haven't been diagnosed, I really believe I'm calcium deficient and have been treating myself with lots of calcium like almond beverages (4 cups a day), whole grains, etc. I've been noticing improvements almost everyday like less anxiety, less stomach problems, slightly improved sleep and feeling tired at night.

I really want to speed up this recovery. I've been thinking of using calcium supplements, but would it be safe if I haven't been properly diagnosed? I don't even know how long it would take to recover from this and I really want to live an improved better life. I tried searching online but all I could find was this Yahoo Answers page where one person mentioned it could take at least a year to get over it.....I seriously don't want to wait that long: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...0195622AA9rj1Q

Probably the best thing to do is wait until you find out whether you are truly deficient before doing anything drastic.

Calcium | Linus Pauling Institute | Oregon State University

Old 08-27-2016, 06:57 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Leafy green vegetables are high in calcium. Do a search for foods high in calcium.

Personally, I believe many take too much calcium and end up with deposits on some of their glands like the thyroid. I have a friend living with having part of her thyroid removed due to calcium deposits. Her doc pushed Tums on her for years.

For bone health there are other minerals and supps to take. I just posted in the Alternative area on bone health.

I don't use dairy except for some cheese, but know we can consume too much cheese too.
It bears repeating again since one poster continues to promote a dangerous and erroneous conclusion with no basis in science or fact...

Calcium supplements including TUMS which contain calcium DO NOT lead to calcium deposits of the thyroid...

Again, thyroid calcification have NOTHING TO DO WITH DIETARY CALCIUM

Calcium deposits of the thyroid are linked to thyroid cancer which is why folks with calcifications of the thyroid end up having surgery

Thyroid calcification and its association with thyroid carcinoma. - PubMed - NCBI

WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS OF THIS STUDY?
Patients with calcium deposits within thyroid nodules by CT, especially if they have only one nodule, likely have thyroid cancer and need to be referred for biopsy and/or surgery.
Vol 5 Issue 2 p.10 | American Thyroid Association

Old 08-27-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
It bears repeating again since one poster continues to promote a dangerous and erroneous conclusion with no basis in science or fact...

Calcium supplements including TUMS which contain calcium DO NOT lead to calcium deposits of the thyroid...

Again, thyroid calcification have NOTHING TO DO WITH DIETARY CALCIUM

Calcium deposits of the thyroid are linked to thyroid cancer which is why folks with calcifications of the thyroid end up having surgery

Thyroid calcification and its association with thyroid carcinoma. - PubMed - NCBI

WHAT ARE THE IMPLICATIONS OF THIS STUDY?
Patients with calcium deposits within thyroid nodules by CT, especially if they have only one nodule, likely have thyroid cancer and need to be referred for biopsy and/or surgery.
Vol 5 Issue 2 p.10 | American Thyroid Association

My story is from a friend who lost a good portion of her thyroid due to Tums Overuse for years and then over time had gallbladder removed from calcium buildup in the gallbladder. This is her story to me. This is NOT about "science" but a personal story.

I've never used Tums and take low low amounts of calcium supplements. But do take other bone builder supplements.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 08-27-2016 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-27-2016, 12:57 PM

This is just ONE list of calcium rich foods:

https://www.healthaliciousness.com/a...in-calcium.php

Old 08-27-2016, 02:32 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
My story is from a friend who lost a good portion of her thyroid due to Tums Overuse for years and then over time had gallbladder removed from calcium buildup in the gallbladder. This is her story to me. This is NOT about "science" but a personal story.

I've never used Tums and take low low amounts of calcium supplements. But do take other bone builder supplements.
Its also not true....

Tums doesn't cause "calcium buildup in the thyroid or gall bladder"

Gallstones are NOT from calcium supplements....they are caused by cholesterol or bilirubin

Your "friend" didn't lose part of her thyroid due to TUMS....even if she thinks she did....doesn't happen

So either your "friend" is mistaken or you are mistaken either way your "story" is just that....a "story"...a piece of fiction

Old 08-27-2016, 03:21 PM

Oh, so you have all the answers.

Old 08-27-2016, 05:01 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Life7 View Post

Probably wait for the diagnosis. There are different types of deficiency but in my experience it was immediately treatable.

I had thyroid surgery and afterwards had really miserable cramping from low calcium. Relief came almost in minutes after taking the supplements they were giving me. I believe calcium is rapidly absorbed. At least it was in my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness