Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 6,326 times

Advertisements

Stoked27 I don't know if you've had your surgery yet, but I had a similar situation where I had a slight deviated septum and nasal valve collapse. They took part of my septum and used it as a graft to repair my nasal valves. If your valves collapse, air can't even get in. I had the surgery done, and it has been life changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,933 times
Hey all,
Don't do any surgeries by any ENT before you 1) understand your own problem. You do this by researching the procedure suggested by the doctor. If he says a septoplasty, go to Youtube and see how that process goes. Then get a CT scan to get a visual, and physically LOOK in a handheld mirror (with a flashlight) to see if the deviations are as severe as the doctor diagnosed, or have another friend do it 2) If by then, it sounds right or if it doesn't sound right at all, then make your decision.

My personal experience after visiting 8-9 ENT's over several years with 2 CT scans. I had a "unecessary" surgery done when I was younger (easily fooled by an unscrupulous doctor). Out of 7-9 ent's, I'd say 2-3 will suggest surgeries on a drop of a dime, 2-3 will "only do surgery" if you feel is necessary, and only 2-3 will give you an outright honest opinion but in an indirect way. They'll tell you you just have to live with it, because undergoing surgeries for minor effects may outweigh the risks. Truth is, Septoplasty, Nasal grafting is a hack and slash job, so unless your nose is really crooked or deviated, chances are, opening it up, messing around with your nose will not correct minor problems or see that 10-20% improvement.

I'm stuck in that boat. I have a tight nasal valve caused by a slightly curved dorsal septal cartilage (from the first surgery). I'm still looking for a surgery that can address that. Grafting isnt' right, neither is septoplasty and honest doctors won't even consider to touch it.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,455 times
I recently had nasal canal repair with ear graft and so far it's not been good. I feel like I struggle more to breath than before. The right side of my nose completely collapse after they removed the stitches and my left side I breath not as good as before I had surgery. I have been off of work for 2 weeks and a half and no signs of improvement. I consulted my surgeon and he said give it a total of two weeks before go further with the possibility of getting artificial cartilage and supporting the graft so that it can stay up. This doctor is a highly recommended surgeon through a website my wife goes on called Health Grades and he had great ratings. Also he's been on a magazine called New Beauty for one of many great plastic surgeons in Palm Beach. My friends is all a risk but one im always willing to take as long it's an educated one! I'm going back in a few weeks to get evaluated and I will keep everyone posted.

Old 06-22-2013, 12:41 AM

4 posts, read 7,175 times
Many years ago, my ex-husband (on the long list of reasons he is my ex) broke my nose. What can I say? I didn't know that not all cops were good guys. A doctor performed a quick repair of the crunched in left side, so I could wear sun glasses again, but we know now that the valve was also damaged. The shape of my nose was changed too. I can live with the new, ugly hook nose, but the constant facial pain and pressure, difficulty sleeping, and chronic infections are taking a heavy toll on my quality of life. I plan to seek out the Rush University doctors, and think I want the z-plasty. I had repair of deviated septum, and turbinates reduced. Everything but the actual problem. Well, I'm off to bed now with my home made breather device. More on that later. :O)

Old 03-24-2015, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almanzj View Post
I just saw your post. I've had the septoplasty to correct a deviated septum. I was off work for two weeks for recovery after the surgery. had good results the first month, but started feeling congested again. Went back to my ENT and had a Turbinectomy. Still had that same feeling of being congested. Went back to my ENT to have a second Turbinectomy done, when he realized it was not my turbinates, but nasal valve collapsed. He does not perform this type of surgery, so he referred me to another surgeon. As a result of not being able to breath normal through my nose, I have sleep apnea and because I don't sleep well, I have chronic headaches which are a result of sleep deprivation. I'm hoping this surgeon can do something to help this time. Just want to breath normal.
hi, i read your post and shall request you for your experience related to symptoms of a nasal valve collapse. i have had a similar experience as you have. in 2005 i had a minor surgery on my nose for a deviated nasal septum. then in 2010 the ent doctor diagnosed me as having sinusitis after going through a CT scan. however, my breathing problems still persist and after having tried a CPAP machine to help my sleep apnea symtoms i was finally dianosed as having nasal valve collapse by the same ENT doctor. my question is have you had success with the nasal valve surgery using the alar graft method done by your ENT doctor ? what other recommendations can you make for me. any advice you can provide would be deeply appreciated as sleeplessness is seriously affecting my lifestyle.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,519 times
Hi everyone, I've just joined this forum to give anyone a little tip if needed,, I am a sufferer with my left nostril and now suspect it's also valve collapse after an absess surgery close to the nostril, which was a dental department procedure. My ent doctor a few months ago told me to stop smoking and it could go away. I though this was quite silly and an easy brush off
Anyway, as I am a smoker, I use swan filter tips for my roll ups, I recently figured out that if you place a filter tip between the inner wall of your nostril and push out the side of your nostril, it will stay In place enabling a good night's sleep, this may not work for everyone depending nostril size ,, if you yawn it pops out, also insert it when nostril is dry as with a wet nostril it will just slip,
I now get a good sleep after 2 years,
Just thought I would post this, if it helps anyone let me know,,, in the meantime I am.in the process of getting a second opinion and also a revisit to the dental hospital ,
Thanks guys,

Old 09-20-2015, 09:25 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
You should know that smokers don't heal well.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,227 times
Can anyone tell me what the recovery is like from valve collapse surgery?? I am dreading this but have been told it could really help with congestion and breathing

Old 08-06-2017, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,572 times
Also need this surgery. Who is best surgeon in the south for this?

Old 11-07-2017, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 12,757 times
Cool Did the nasal valve surgery really work?

My difficulty breathing started about 2 years ago and it is at the point where I sometimes get out of breath walking across the room. I've tried everything to get it fixed. Since I had a large hiatal hernia they thought it was causing my difficulty breathing so I had that surgery which was tough but it didn't do any good. Since then I've had teeth pulled, been to an allergist who said i had a slight reaction to Bermuda grass and she loaded me up on about 5 allergy medicines. The decongestants help a little. I've been evaluated by a pulmonologist who says my lungs are in good shape. Finally I went to an ENT and he discovered I had a deviated septum so he repaired it and cleaned out the turbinates. But the breathing problem kept getting worse. The first time I came across the term "nasal valve collapse" i was surfing the net using terms like "help the sides of my nose are falling in." It seems to explain my problem perfectly so i searched for a reputable plastic surgeon and was relieved when he made the diagnosis. Now I'm scheduled for surgery in 2 weeks. I've been reading reviews from different places and either they say the surgery did not help at all or that it was life changing. After 2 years of breathing problems I want the surgery to change my life but my symptoms are too severe for me to believe it could work. It would be nice to know what the journey was like for others. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness