Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 11:23 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,725,069 times

Advertisements

I know we've discussed this topic here but can't find the thread...So I'll add this info just in today. MAKES SENSE to me. I've cut way back on showers, for a couple reasons: Chemicals in water, drought here in CAlif. and fear of slipping in shower. I did a lifetime of daily showers.

What Happens When You Stop Showering?

Not to change anyone's mind FOR SURE. Food for Thought.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:39 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,797,237 times
Probably doable for those who stay inside where it's cool. I walk 5+ miles a day year round so a daily shower is a must. I figure the exercise is much better for my health than not showering could ever be. YMMV.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:44 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
It's controversial for sure. Most people are extremely close-minded on this issue and will never believe that someone who doesn't shower every single day isn't filthy, stinky, unsanitary, and germ-ridden. But less showering, and less use of soaps and shampoos (as well as other products that you rub or spray on your skin), makes sense to me from a health point of view. I normally shower twice a week. I also stopped using deodorant years ago and actually have much less body odor than I used to--though again, I don't expect people to believe that.

I'm not sedentary either--I go out and exercise, walking or riding a mountain bike, almost every day. Granted this is a dry climate so even with this amount of exercise, I'm not usually sweaty when I return. I do feel for people who live in places where they can't walk from their front door to their car without being covered in sweat.

I certainly agree that a long, hot shower every day for every person here in Southern California is a luxury we can not well afford, even when there isn't such a bad drought.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:52 AM

Even without the drought here, the chemicals in the water and fear of slipping is there. I know a couple friends who both slipped in tubs and fell. I stopped using underarm deo years ago and use wipes and H2O2 on the wipes. And true, we're all in different places in our lives. My grandkids take 2 showers some days and I wouldn't even think to put this in their minds...they are not there.

And if you live in fluoridated public water, all that "F" is seeping into your skin/joints...not good stuff as I've been in that battle for a couple decades.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-25-2016 at 12:01 PM..

Old 06-25-2016, 11:56 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Even without the drought here, the chemicals in the water and fear of slipping is there.
I'm in my 40s so I'm not quite there with worries about falling/slipping in the shower or tub. I had not thought so much about chemicals in the water. We have very hard, nasty tasting, chlorinated tap water that corrodes the sink fixtures and we buy drinking water for this reason. It's probably not that good for our skin, either.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:59 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,987,564 times
You can get an anti-slip surface, if that's the only reason you're not bathing!

No way could I go a day without a bath/shower....even if I'm not dirty or stinky! I LIKE bathing!

Old 06-25-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
You can get an anti-slip surface, if that's the only reason you're not bathing!

No way could I go a day without a bath/shower....even if I'm not dirty or stinky! I LIKE bathing!

That's good and I thought the way you do before hip replacement mess and now my body is so unstable, aging alone is hard enough and add a major body change and you live with fear. I've been thru many non slip mats etc.

At 40 I was in my PRIME and now 38 years later, a lot has happened to make me think as I do.

Stay away from surgery elections if at all possible.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:10 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Probably doable for those who stay inside where it's cool. I walk 5+ miles a day year round so a daily shower is a must. I figure the exercise is much better for my health than not showering could ever be. YMMV.
Probably....but you could try just lathering up the "worst" parts and rubbing down the rest with pure water. So yes, rinse off all the sweat and use soap on the stinky parts. But if you're a guy you likely have fewer issues with dry or irritated skin anyway so later away!

Old 06-25-2016, 02:23 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,481,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Even without the drought here, the chemicals in the water and fear of slipping is there. I know a couple friends who both slipped in tubs and fell.
This is just nonsense. Have you never heard of grab bars, and non-slip tub mats (or stickers)? We use both in our bathrooms and not just in the tubs...vinyl floors can be slippery when wet, too. Nobody ever slips in our baths, because we use inexpensive means to prevent this. You could, too.

As for fluoride in the water, get over it. I can understand if you don't want to drink the water -- filter it or buy bottled water. But showering? It doesn't stay in contact with your skin long enough to get in. You get worse chemicals into your skin just from your clothing and the detergents you use. If it still bugs you, just install a whole-house filter (also inexpensive).

OK, so if you don't want to shower, it's no skin off my back. Do as you please. But stop trying to scare other people who do, with silly "reasons" that are readily correctible, for not much money.

Old 06-25-2016, 02:49 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,435,798 times
Less showers, more ICK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.