Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:10 AM

7 posts, read 7,982 times

Advertisements

I have had a new dr for a little over a year now and he's really great, mostly just for benign things. However more recently I had to see him for a...more intimate issue. My sister seems to think I was crazy, saying she didn't know how I could do it. I dunno, it never really bothered me. I know it can be different for everyone but I think it can be perspective as well. Not to go into to much detail but I did have to turn around and drop my drawers lol. To me a dr is just a dr. She really felt it was crazy for me to do.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:38 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Tell your sister until about 20 or 25 years ago almost all doctors were males and they saw us in all situations. I wouldn't hesitate. On the other hand I do understand: Hubby fought seeing a female doctor for years. Now he is over that and cares more about their knowledge, how he relates to them and how caring his doctor is: he pays no attention to their sex.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:48 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Personally I would choose a female for any female issues....no male can ever know how we "feel" and what we go thru...and true most MDs were males but a female MD delivered me in 1938 at home. So they were around, not as many as males for sure. Happy to see more and more women in all areas of society. I would not feel uncomfortable with a male MD for female stuff but they just don't know our feelings.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:52 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
At the VA hospital they have Female and Male resident MD's during the Urology days. (been there...different... YES).

Has anyone ever seen what medical students practice on......now it's on the real McCoy.

You can Goggle on just about anything for a learning lesson.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:55 AM

7 posts, read 7,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Personally I would choose a female for any female issues....no male can ever know how we "feel" and what we go thru...and true most MDs were males but a female MD delivered me in 1938 at home. So they were around, not as many as males for sure. Happy to see more and more women in all areas of society. I would not feel uncomfortable with a male MD for female stuff but they just don't know our feelings.
I understand it's personal choice. In my case it was my rear so I guess not really "female stuff" and I doubt a woman would know any better than a man lol.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:22 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
When I picked my first ob/gyn, about twenty-five years ago, I had a strong preference for a woman. I'm still happy with that choice as I do think that for "female" issues it is nice to have a doctor who's had the same kinds of experiences (we were both pregnant at the same time, for instance).

But I also think it doesn't REALLY matter. My mother had a male ob for her entire life, including seven pregnancies / deliveries. A male ob delivered one of my babies, as he was the one on call at that moment, and it was totally fine. I've also had to go to my male physicians for a urinary tract infection and for breast reconstruction (I had a mastectomy). The only thing I have noticed is that the male doctors almost always have a female nurse or PA in the room when they do an "intimate" physical exam, which is not the case with the female doctors. I think that's probably as it should be, to protect themselves if nothing else.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:50 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I only care that they are good doctors, not what gender they are.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-29-2016, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyneJulia View Post
I understand it's personal choice. In my case it was my rear so I guess not really "female stuff" and I doubt a woman would know any better than a man lol.
front or rear, a male doctor can be as good or better than a female. If you are happy with your doctor stick with him. I do agree a male may not know our exact feelings but that doesn't make them less of a good doctor. I am still a believer it is how you and your doctor relate more than the gender. This can and should be the case with all professionals. The sex should have little to do with their ability. I don't vote based on gender or religion, I don't choose my church based on the gender of the pastor and I don't pick my lawyer based on anything but how comfortable I am with the person.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:15 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I only care that they are good doctors, not what gender they are.
I concur!

Old 06-29-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
When I picked my first ob/gyn, about twenty-five years ago, I had a strong preference for a woman. I'm still happy with that choice as I do think that for "female" issues it is nice to have a doctor who's had the same kinds of experiences (we were both pregnant at the same time, for instance).

But I also think it doesn't REALLY matter. My mother had a male ob for her entire life, including seven pregnancies / deliveries. A male ob delivered one of my babies, as he was the one on call at that moment, and it was totally fine. I've also had to go to my male physicians for a urinary tract infection and for breast reconstruction (I had a mastectomy). The only thing I have noticed is that the male doctors almost always have a female nurse or PA in the room when they do an "intimate" physical exam, which is not the case with the female doctors. I think that's probably as it should be, to protect themselves if nothing else.
you are right; apparently it is a law, when a male doctor examines a female, especially when removing cloths is necessary there has to be a female in the room. I actually would be more comfortable without a female just standing around. Even when I have shots for my bad knee or did have shots, it I have to remove my pants and put on one of those funny little paper shots our orthopedic doctor uses the nurse is there when he does the shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness