Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 05:20 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times

Advertisements

why cant just one company,,,one shark, one entrepreneur,,,come up with a cigarette,,,that is healthy for you,,,,

no carcinogens,,,, maybe breathe in some vitamins/anti-oxidents

I think half the people smoke that's the nervous squirrely type and the act of smoking is like a nervous twitch..

I don't understand the poor folks smoking,,,cant feed their litter of kids but both parents have plenty of cigs,,????????

I think the smell got to me more than anything,,,, gets in your clothes,,,hair,,,,,,everything smelled of cigarette smoke,,

growing up my whole family smoked,,,i actually loved the smell of a pipe and even menthol cigarettes

I got dizzy from smoking,,,never passed that barrier,, (thank god)

the same smoking Nazi's that treat smokers like lepers are pushing for marijuana ..... doesn't make sense to me..

ive got friends that have copd and 25% of lung function..... its sad,,, all from smoking and its 100% preventable...

my neighbor was a smoker then she said she had a weird pain in her throat,,,thought it was cancer......so she was terrified,,,and finally quit ....eventually the pain went away ..

its a big crutch habit,,,you need to replace it,,, with a reward,,,,money is good (what you save) ice cream, sex, a bass boat.... gotta replace the urge

and use an e cig.

another neighbors wife with held sex until he quit,,,,that did work after a while,,,,but she was smart,,,she started going to the gym,,,,looking better,,...
he was afraid he would lose her.....depending on the personality ....quitting could be a reward or replace , or prevent a loss

"i love you enough to leave you for a while" for long term..... the ball is in your hands ...choose the cigarettes that are killing you,,or choose me ... you have one month

(this worked for a coworker)

Old 07-05-2016, 07:27 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,606,453 times
My suggestion for the OP is seeing if the wife will agree to cut back at all. Even a reduction will lower the risks she's facing. Maybe an agreement that if she smokes only one pack a day that you'll go somewhere tropical with the money saved. A pack still lets her have a cigarette every half hour to hour. That is a lot. If she can't last an hour without a cigarette then she's got serious problems.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:39 PM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
One thing 100% sure, you'll quit when you die just like my Aunt who smoked all her life and refused to quit. 60 years old.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:13 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,704,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graneenja View Post
Wife and I have been married for 3 years, I am 30 and she is 29. When we met we were both smokers but I quit after a process that was not easy. I encouraged my then gf to quit and she of course said she would but never did. She told me she has been a smoker since she was 15 and her mother who is also a smoker would buy her packs. The thing is lately, probably the past 4 months she has really been hacking and coughing a lot, in the middle of the night, when she wakes up and even at work. She will even spit up mucus and phlegm. We have a one year old daughter as well that I am worried about. She smokes about 1-2 packs a day and I am really concerned. Being a former smoker myself I do realize how very difficult it can be to quit but at this rate I am worried she won't live to see our daughter graduate High School or at least college.

I try to be understanding about and don't want to be hypocritical but I am concerned with her long term health. I have tried talking to her about it but she says she will quit when she's ready. Admittedly I have said the same but I did manage to quit.
you should worry about your health from 2nd hand smoke as well your infant, shame on her for smoking around a 1 year old.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:32 PM

23,207 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Man is a gambler at heart, no question about that, as that happens every time you stick the key into the ignition of your car.

Anyone with an addiction will always find examples of those that survived their addictions, and the gambling continues.

My Dad smoked from age 16 to age 66, 3 packs of Kools every day, and died at 96 from Alzheimer's, and he never required COPD meds, oxygen. Lungs made out of steel? My mother inhaled all that 2nd hand smoke from 50 years of marriage, and, again, her lungs we never effected, she died from liver cancer.

I was thinking, all along, I had the identical lungs of my father, but not so, the gamble didn't work so well.

Working in a Long-Term Care facility, I see too many that gambled, some lost, some won. Lungs made of steel?

And, as we all know, you can die from respiratory afflictions without ever having smoked, or even being effected by 2nd hand smoke.

Those that died during the Dust Bowl years died from inhaling too much silica in the air! Cause of death: Dust Pneumonia!

Again, if I were the OP, I'd gently, compassionately, try to get the wife to merely reduce her consumption. For starters!

Old 07-05-2016, 09:47 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,574,766 times
Nicorette worked for me.

I hope she doesn't smoke around the child. Children are more affected by smoke and bad air because of their smaller bodies. She could also be arrested for smoking in closed quarters with a child present.

She will probably quit one day. Unfortunately, that day may be 10 or 20 years from now. You have to decide if you want to stay married to a smoker, since that's who you are married to.

Don't go along with her smoking because you feel you have to accept it. That would be like going along with an alcoholic. It enables them. Don't be quiet about it. Remind her what's going on in her lungs, how her clothes smell bad, her teeth will turn yellow. Tell her you expect her to at least try, using different methods, until one works. Then ask her if she REALLY wants to quit, like she says she does. If she does, then she should be okay with you expecting her to try to quit, until she is finally successful.

I knew several women who quit mainly because their husbands "laid down the law," so to speak. They insisted repeatedly that she quit, pointed out all the negatives, asked if she wanted to be an old lady with a cigarette hanging out of her mouth and yellow teeth and a hacking cough, saying he didn't want to live around cigarettes, etc. But those women were not hard core. And they would still sneak a cigarette occasionally when out to dinner with us gals.

She may be concerned about gaining weight. That was a big concern of mine. I can't stress enough how big a factor that was for me. I come from a family with several morbidly obese people, and while I didn't have that gene or whatever it is, I was afraid I would start gaining weight and not be able to stop it. I finally quit, but it took many times trying, using different methods, over a period of years. But I was very hard core. Nicorette worked for me. If it weren't for generic Nicorette, I'd still be a smoker. What nicotine gum did for me, in addition to giving me a shot of nicotine, was give my mouth something to do, so I didn't eat as much to compensate for the loss of cigarettes. It also helped with the stress...and you can chew gum almost anywhere.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:52 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times
Second hand smoke danger is a myth. It was started to get people scared and to vilify smokers. Let's make it sound so scary to be around them and then force them to hide in the shadows.

The Second-Hand Smoke Charade | Cato Institute

Of course the above never got the front page news like the flawed 'study' did.

It worked. The public took the bait.

No other group of people are as encouraged to be looked down upon and actually bullied to try to get them to submit to the 'ideals' of the puritanical police.

As to the 'smoking addiction is worse than <insert hard core drug of your choosing here>'....false. One of the major reasons it is so hard to quit is simply because cigarettes are so readily available. Every gas station carries them, almost any store has them, they are legal to purchase.

They. Are. Legal. To. Purchase. Yet smokers are the most looked down upon people. Simply because they enjoy tobacco. Yes, the second hand smoke myth was started so smokers couldn't simply enjoy tobacco...without offending Someone.

Nicotine does help with weight control. Ever notice the correlation that as there are less smokers, the obesity rate rises?

Nicotine is also being found to help those with ADD, Alzheimer's and other brain disorders. Theory is that smokers are self medicating.

There is so much misinformation that is being spread.

Don't feel bad, I bought into those same lies.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times
Yes, let's keep making a smoker feel like they are the worse scum of the earth

SMDH

Old 07-05-2016, 10:10 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
Second hand smoke danger is a myth. It was started to get people scared and to vilify smokers. Let's make it sound so scary to be around them and then force them to hide in the shadows.

The Second-Hand Smoke Charade | Cato Institute

Of course the above never got the front page news like the flawed 'study' did.

It worked. The public took the bait.

No other group of people are as encouraged to be looked down upon and actually bullied to try to get them to submit to the 'ideals' of the puritanical police.

As to the 'smoking addiction is worse than <insert hard core drug of your choosing here>'....false. One of the major reasons it is so hard to quit is simply because cigarettes are so readily available. Every gas station carries them, almost any store has them, they are legal to purchase.

They. Are. Legal. To. Purchase. Yet smokers are the most looked down upon people. Simply because they enjoy tobacco. Yes, the second hand smoke myth was started so smokers couldn't simply enjoy tobacco...without offending Someone.

Nicotine does help with weight control. Ever notice the correlation that as there are less smokers, the obesity rate rises?

Nicotine is also being found to help those with ADD, Alzheimer's and other brain disorders. Theory is that smokers are self medicating.

There is so much misinformation that is being spread.

Don't feel bad, I bought into those same lies.
Cato Institute - SourceWatch

"Alliance with the Tobacco Industry
The Cato Institute appears on several Philip Morris lists of 'national allies,' including a 1999 'Federal Government Affairs Tobacco Allies Notebook' and a less-specific 2000 list of 'National Allies.'
R.J. Reynolds (RJR) also names Cato Institute as an organization the company could rely upon to help the tobacco industry 'shift the debate and framework under which cigarette-related issues are evaluated in the future.' In the September 2000 document, titled 'Reframing the Debate Communications Plan,' RJR states, 'Work with CATO Institute ... to empanel a group to debate legality and future management of cigarette industry. Open forum to media (pitch C- SPAN coverage); issue press release and transcript of remarks to media not in attendance.' A subsequent part of the plan says RJR could help sustain public interest in their points of view by encouraging Cato Institute to send [pro-tobacco] columns to the national media."

Oh, and by the way, second hand smoke kills.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:25 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,920,292 times
I posted this info on another thread some time ago but will repeat here as an Education re smoking results.

On returning from Korea (1952) a buddy went to Mortuary school in LA.

Saw him one day and he invited me to his night time job at a Mortuary so I went.

Showed me the embalming room and gave me a brief description on what they have to do in prepping a body etc.

Anyway, the subject came to smoking. He said that a smoker would have Lungs that looked like they had been sprinkled with Black Pepper while a Non Smoker would generally have Pink lungs.

Hope this gets people thinking......did me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness