Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 03:55 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,224 times

Advertisements

Not sure where to post this but I'm frustrated how mosquitoes and fleas love to suck my blood. No one else will get bit probably because the bugs are full off my blood. Im always the first to get bit and I get bit a lot. I heard it's probably something I'm missing in my blood? Any sprays I can use to repell them? My brother has dogs and when I go there I bring fleas back with me but my brother said no one else in his house gets bit... why ms??? (((
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2016, 05:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Buy some coconut oil or shea butter....stir in

-Lemongrass essential oil
-Basil
-Geranium

Easily found in Health Food Stores

Sit in a swarm of mosquitoes...you'll be VERY happy!

Tried and true. Smells very nice, btw.
Refrigerate at the end of the season for next year.

There are many other ess. oils you can use...this is the best smelling

Old 07-03-2016, 07:49 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,354,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
Not sure where to post this but I'm frustrated how mosquitoes and fleas love to suck my blood. No one else will get bit probably because the bugs are full off my blood. Im always the first to get bit and I get bit a lot. I heard it's probably something I'm missing in my blood? Any sprays I can use to repell them? My brother has dogs and when I go there I bring fleas back with me but my brother said no one else in his house gets bit... why ms??? (((
As for mosquitoes, there are documented reasons for why some people seem to get bit more than others. When my husband and I went to Central America, I don't think he had a single mosquito bite and I was covered in them.

Buy mosquito repellent. A good one! Especially when you plan to be outside for a bit.

Why is your brother living with fleas??? He should be treating his dogs for fleas. My guess is he has been living with them so long he doesn't even notice. My MIL was like that too. We were in her house doing something and when we left, I noticed my clothes were covered in fleas. When my husband told her, she said, "What??? I don't have fleas!"

Old 07-03-2016, 12:10 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,224 times
Yeah he doesn't think he has them. I only get bit in the summer when I go to his house.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:45 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
Backwoods Off works best for me.... I am one of those who also gets eaten alive while others around me get nary a bite...... The Backwoods Off kept me virtually bite-free when I used to walk my dogs in woods and brush and fields where there were ALL kinds of biting insects.....

Repel and the other, less expensive brand that I cannot recall at the moment, do not work NEARLY as well.....

and don't even think about the Skin So Soft lotion from Avon.... absolutely worthless for insect repellent.....

Old 07-07-2016, 10:03 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Buy some coconut oil or shea butter....stir in
-Lemongrass essential oil
-Basil
-Geranium
I got the oil part but what in what form does the Basil and Geranium come in? I have fresh basil, will that work?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:05 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:
You need to treat the outdoors, indoors (especially if you have carpets), and the dogs themselves. This will eliminate the flea problem. Won't do much for the mosquitos though. Treating the dogs themselves is a good start. There are many options available from pills to liquid such as Frontline.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Me too! I think fleas even prefer me to cats and dogs. When I was living with my sister and my cats, she never got one bite and I got tons.

So, I never tried this put I have heard that pennyroyal in liquid form or powder can help keep them away. Also I did have luck with using eucalyptus powder to avoid them. I had a cat who was also allergic to flea bites and I put this on both of us. It's also very soothing for bites you may already have. It helps them to heal.

Old 07-08-2016, 01:45 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,212 times
save your money and don't buy anything that's "all natural". If you're a mosquito magnet like I am, you need chemical warfare.

I recently purchased an insect repellant by Sawyer, it has 20% piccardin and it works AMAZINGLY well! I have been on a several hikes through the woods, in the Northeast (known for high # of mosquitos and ticks) and I have not had a single bite.

A nice bonus is that it has a very light citrus scent. So you don't have to choke yourself with Off scent. That stuff smells horrible.

Oh and Consumer Reports rates this product at the very top. They're not always right, but they nailed it with this product.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:27 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,256,658 times
My Mamma used to tell me that "if you sleep with dogs, you will wake up with fleas". It probably had a deeper meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness