Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:55 AM

210 posts, read 394,431 times

Advertisements

I finally realized this past week what's been wrong with me these past 2 years. I've been constantly dehydrated even though I drink 8 glasses of water a day. That's why I've had acid reflux (constant burping).

It started 2 years ago, a few weeks after I started this new printing job. I was working there part time at first. On the nights before I had to work there, I would have trouble falling asleep, but not on the nights before I wasn't working there. So I guess I was physically anxious about it even though I wasn't mentally anxious about it. After a while when I started working there full time, I didn't have trouble falling asleep but I would wake up many times during the night and/or wake up too early. This is when the constant burping began.

I tried many things to try and fix this sleeping problem like reading, meditating, going out to socialize (socializing helped a little bit, but not enough). I had no idea that the sleeping problems and the burping were related. I did some research online and realized maybe I'm not eating very healthy and that's the reason I'm not staying properly hydrated. Stuff like fiber holds onto water in your body, and potassium helps keep your body properly hydrated (the claim on this small carton of coconut water I've been buying lately).

Speaking of coconut water, I've been drinking a lot of it this week. I've been drinking from these small 330mL cartons of it this past week, 3 times a day. It definitely feels like it's helping. It even moisturized inside my nose. (Oh yeah, my nose was even dry from the dehydration).

Also, I have this cold sore that never went away from a previous cough/cold. When I feel I'm getting more hydrated, the cough started reappearing again. I think that will go away once I'm fully hydrated.

What do you guys think I should do about this? Keep eating healthier along with the coconut water? Do you think I should go see a doctor? I have gone in the past 2 years for bronchitis and pills they gave me that stopped the reflux until I ran out of them.

Plus, how did this even happen to me in the first place. The anxiety from 2 years ago? The pressure I feel from this printing job? Combination of both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 12:13 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,905,520 times
See a doctor. If you're drinking that much water every day and you're still dehydrated, something's wrong. If you only see the doctor when you're sick and you don't go for routine blood tests, chronic issues can be missed.

If you're sweating a lot at work (my husband used to work for a printing company and he sweated buckets) drink reduced-sugar Gatorade or Powerade zero while you're there. If it doesn't taste salty to you, that's a sign that you need to replace what your body has sweated out.

Are you having to wake up to use the bathroom at night?

Old 07-09-2016, 12:21 PM

Sometimes I wake to use the washroom, not all the time.

Old 07-09-2016, 01:39 PM

How's your weight? How old are you? Being thirsty a lot, never feeling hydrated, having to wake up to urinate, sores that are slow to heal can all be symptoms of diabetes. I was diagnosed with it when I was 35 and quite overweight. It sucked having to start taking meds for it and testing my blood sugar every day but it's actually easier to take care of my health and lose weight and I even sleep better now that it's under control.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:06 PM

I actually think I am hydrated now. Like I said, my nose is moistened now and no longer dry and my constipation is improving as well (something I forgot to mention before). I will start having small snacks in between meals from now on since I have the same symptoms for hunger and thirst. Poor sleep will make you hungrier/thirstier, so I will see if I still have the same problems later on. I'll decide after a few more days if I should go see a doctor or not.

The coconut water really felt like it helped a lot and I even feel a lot calmer. I think I should just have a healthier diet when I'm at this job.

Old 07-09-2016, 02:35 PM

Try eating more vegetables and less carbs. For snacks, try light Greek yogurt, or if you eat a carb, try to eat some fat and protein with it too. (For example, if you want to snack on pretzels, have some peanut butter or cheese too). With constipation, don't increase your fiber really suddenly...for example, don't start taking a fiber supplement like metamucil without starting slowly and increasing the dose, or you'll end up making the constipation worse. Avocado helps with constipation...an avocado cut in half makes an awfully good snack

You can probably find a free diabetes screening in your area. It's a simple finger prick, doesn't hurt, and would give you some idea of whether or not that could be the problem. If you are diabetic, the body gets used to higher glucose levels and that could be why the coconut water is making you feel better, if you were just drinking plain water before. They tell you that diabetes makes people lose weight, but it can also cause increased hunger and weight gain...basically your body can't use the food that it takes in the right way, so it stores it as fat and it keeps telling you it's starving.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:33 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,914,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Try eating more vegetables and less carbs. For snacks, try light Greek yogurt, or if you eat a carb, try to eat some fat and protein with it too.
What do you think "a carb" is?

Old 07-11-2016, 03:38 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,914,941 times
OP-

Increase your whole food intake. This means eat a lot more whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and legumes. Most of your problems will go away after a week or two of this.

Are you overweight?
What makes you think you are dehydrated?

Old 07-11-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
What do you think "a carb" is?
OP mentioned constipation and increasing fiber intake. Vegetables are the best way to do that without ending up more constipated from fiber supplements or really gassy from beans.

Vegetables have carbs, but not usually the easily digested carbs that raise blood sugar (except for starchy veggies). Greek yogurt has some carbs too from the milk it's made with but the protein helps slow the digestion of the carbs.

Fruit should be limited if you're trying to lose weight or have any concerns about possibly elevated blood sugar. Berries, cantaloupe and honeydew are usually okay, bananas, grapes, cherries and watermelon should be limited.

As far as "a carb", when you're trying to avoid foods that will make your blood sugar spike, sugar, flour, baked goods, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and peas are better avoided. Some people are more sensitive to some foods than other people.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:32 AM

19,736 posts, read 20,292,914 times
Yeah, all this and you don't mention your dietary intake at all. Start there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness