Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 06:31 PM

458 posts, read 329,248 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I'm hoping for some advice that will help with this bladder/urinary pain. I thought I was getting a UTI, but when I went to the doctor and explained my symptoms(frequency, urgency, pressure, irritation in lower pelvic region) He tested my urine and said it was clean. He seems to think this is bladder spasms since I have been having the recurrent problem. Last two specimens were clean (2 month period). I do drink beer quite a bit. Maybe 3 beers 3 times a week. I quit coffee.
1. How can I change my diet to help avoid spasms?
2. Has anybody ever taken Detrol?
3. What's the test that they do in the office compared to the one they culture?
4. Why in the world do I keep getting these fake UTIs!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 09:01 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
I've had similar problems twice, though it's been about 10 years since I last had them. I always just assumed they were recurrent UTI's, and initially they were treated accordingly. But, the second time it happened, I did have a few specimens that also came back clean like you did. So, bladder spasms were definitely mentioned as a possibility.

Both times, I was seen by a Urologist and had cystoscopies that were unremarkable (aside from the Urologists confirming there was noticeable irritation of the bladder lining). Each time, I was placed on prophylactic antibiotics and eventually, the problems went away. For me, intercourse is a trigger, so to this day, I take one dose of antibiotic immediately after each time I have intercourse, which is a routine commonly recommend by Urologists and OB/Gyn's I've spoken with. I haven't had a flare up in almost 10 years since I started doing this.

Abdominal and pelvic pain in women can be hard to pin down and it may take a while to figure out what it is. UTI's, bladder spasms, interstitial cystitis, pelvic floor dysfunction....lots of conditions with some cross over of symptoms. I really think spasms of smooth muscle like the bladder and gut are often due to stress and usually resolve on their own. But, while the symptoms and issues are present, there is a lot of discomfort and pain and it's frustrating to deal with. I think you are on the right track eliminating caffeine. If I were you, I'd lay off the alcohol as well. See a Urologist, ideally one who specializes in gynecologic urology.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-19-2016 at 09:18 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 06:41 AM

Thanks for responding Texas! I'm delighted to know that I'm not alone. I'm also wondering is sex/orgasm is a trigger for bladder spasms. It seems they have been more frequent lately. I had heard of antibiotics used successfully after sex, but I would be worried about the long term effects of that.

I noticed when gave up regular coffee it helped some. I guess I need to monitor my diet more and figure out what might contribute to the problem. I'm so frustrated by this!

Old 07-20-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotbloodedwoman View Post
Thanks for responding Texas! I'm delighted to know that I'm not alone. I'm also wondering is sex/orgasm is a trigger for bladder spasms. It seems they have been more frequent lately. I had heard of antibiotics used successfully after sex, but I would be worried about the long term effects of that.

I noticed when gave up regular coffee it helped some. I guess I need to monitor my diet more and figure out what might contribute to the problem. I'm so frustrated by this!
I use a low dose antibiotic (100mg) and I'm only using it about once a week on average. I have never had any doctor express any reservations about long term effects given that limited a use. In fact, the only time I discontinued it was in the first trimester of my first pregnancy because I was concerned. Well, I ended up with an active infection (UTi's are common in pregnancy) and had to take a full week's dose of antibiotics. My OB/Gyn said go back on my prophylactic routine, the meds I take are safe even in pregnancy. I experimented with natural remedies, cranberry juice and pills etc. A complete waste of time for me....I'm sticking to what I know works.

If you google diet for bladder spasms or interstitial cystitis, you will see suggestions.

I know you've posted about this before. Have you ever seen a Urologist? If not, do so. Good luck!

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 07-20-2016 at 10:07 AM..

Old 07-20-2016, 10:03 AM

No. Not yet. My gyno wants me to try the meds he prescribed first. I'm just researching to see what triggers it. I'm even wondering if my vibrator is contributing to the problem. It stimulates pretty much everything down there, so I could certainly see how it would contribute. Jeez...I guess I gotta give up coffee, booze, and my vibrator!! Its so sad! Lol

Old 07-20-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
No. Not yet. My gyno wants me to try the meds he prescribed first. I'm just researching to see what triggers it. I'm even wondering if my vibrator is contributing to the problem. It stimulates pretty much everything down there, so I could certainly see how it would contribute. Jeez...I guess I gotta give up coffee, booze, and my vibrator!! Its so sad! Lol
Allrighty...

My OB/Gyn's have always only prescribed the meds. When I move to a different doc, I just tell them specifically what I want, and they take care if it. I've never used an antispasmodic, like Detrol though. So, proceed with that and see if it helps.

If a Urologist comes into play, they will probably want to do a cystoscopy, which is where a small, flexible camera is inserted into the bladder so they can check for (and rule out) masses or abnormalities. It's not as bad as it sounds....

Old 07-20-2016, 10:58 AM

Making a urologist appointment is next on the list. I'm gonna try and modify my diet, and try the meds first. I'm only 33. Do you know of anyone that has tried the meds for a short period and then was able to get off? I'm not a fan of taking meds if I don't have to. Thanks so much for your attention and advice

Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
The two biggest things that trigger it for me are alcohol (wine more so than others) and artificial sweeteners. I saw a urologist and he told me to give up caffeine. I wasn't happy about it but I did and the spasms got worse. I realized that instead of my morning joe I was drinking artificially sweetened drinks so I decided to stop those and sure enough, it all but went away. I even added coffee back in and it doesn't seem to affect me.

Now if I could just give up wine.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:58 AM

How long do your bladder attacks last and what are your symptoms moon?

Old 07-20-2016, 12:07 PM

5,867 posts, read 11,924,669 times
Quote:
How long do your bladder attacks last and what are your symptoms moon?
They mostly happen when I am lying down - usually after I wake up and go to the bathroom. It feels like bad cramping. Sometimes the pain is enough to keep me from falling back asleep and lasts about 20 minutes or more. I don't notice it so much when I am up and moving around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness