Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 11:30 PM

730 posts, read 2,253,634 times

Advertisements

Just realized- One approach might be to try to explain that the 2 things may not be as mutually exclusive as he believes(smoking and maintaining weight) Many of you have quit smoking with very limited weight gain. I myself weigh around 5lbs more when I'm not smoking due to larger appetite. If he would ever try quitting, he may find that he does gain a few pounds back- but not the devastating amount that he thinks. Of course at this point- there is a little problem called nicotine addiction. Being around him lately makes me realize you never really get over the urge. (at least I have'nt)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 12:33 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
You do get over the urge eventually. It took me almost a year to get over the urge to smoke when i quit smoking. But i didn't give in and kept going, one day at a time.
The reason most people gain weight when they quit smoking isn't because the metabolism slows down somewhat, it's because they have to have the hand to mouth contact the way they did with cigarettes, and many people eat more candy, and fattening foods to make up for the loss of the cigarettes.
So try celery sticks, carrot sticks, other cut up veggies and fruits on hand. Exercise, and you probably won't gain weight.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:17 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
I quit smoking 6 months ago, after 48 years. I used the prescription Chantix, which although not a miracle drug it made the quit a lot easier. I have gained some weight, which the doctor says we'll deal with later. It's more important to get through quitting smoking, which is as addictive as herion. Interestingly, part of the weight gain is due to when you smoke, you actually burn approximately 200 calories a day.

I thought my smoking was related to hand to mouth behavior, but in quitting, the truth is I smoke when I'm bored.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:02 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,400,715 times
Today I have decided to quit smoking...well, it's 9:02AM and I usually am on my 6th...I had the patches but never tried them...today I did put one on..so far so good...a little edgy but nothing I can't live with.
Only thing is I DON'T WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT !!!!!!!! I mean Really !!!
I do grocery shopping today...and plan not to get anything with calories!!
I always said that I'd quit smoking when my Dad did...well he quit... he died of lung cancer 3 years ago...my Mother of Emphysemia a few years before that.....

Old 02-21-2008, 07:26 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,263,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Today I have decided to quit smoking...well, it's 9:02AM and I usually am on my 6th...I had the patches but never tried them...today I did put one on..so far so good...a little edgy but nothing I can't live with.
Only thing is I DON'T WANT TO GAIN WEIGHT !!!!!!!! I mean Really !!!
I do grocery shopping today...and plan not to get anything with calories!!
I always said that I'd quit smoking when my Dad did...well he quit... he died of lung cancer 3 years ago...my Mother of Emphysemia a few years before that.....
Well, weight gain is not inevitable though I do realize it does happen. Probably depends on the individual and their make-up, metabolism etc. My mother quit smoking about 15 years ago after about 40+ years of heavy smoking! She never gained any weight from quitting and now has to work to keep her weight up.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:36 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I quit smoking 6 months ago, after 48 years. I used the prescription Chantix, which although not a miracle drug it made the quit a lot easier. I have gained some weight, which the doctor says we'll deal with later. It's more important to get through quitting smoking, which is as addictive as herion. Interestingly, part of the weight gain is due to when you smoke, you actually burn approximately 200 calories a day.

I thought my smoking was related to hand to mouth behavior, but in quitting, the truth is I smoke when I'm bored.
Good for you Ellwood. I quit last November after 40 years - also with Chantix. I took it for 2 months and it has been really difficult for the past month and a half that I've been off the Chantix. I also did acupuncture. Need to do some more of that I think.

Question for you if you don't mind. Have you noticed if you've been any moodier, more irritable, aggressive since you came off the Chantix?

I am. Everything bothers me. Even my cats sometimes, although not my dogs, but people especially get on my nerves.

I was reading something yesterday that ex-Chantix users have reported these symptoms. I was surprised because I had not connected this to Chantix at all. Maybe to not smoking but not to the drug taken to stop.

What do you think?

Old 02-21-2008, 07:46 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
Good for you Ellwood. I quit last November after 40 years - also with Chantix. I took it for 2 months and it has been really difficult for the past month and a half that I've been off the Chantix. I also did acupuncture. Need to do some more of that I think.

Question for you if you don't mind. Have you noticed if you've been any moodier, more irritable, aggressive since you came off the Chantix?

I am. Everything bothers me. Even my cats sometimes, although not my dogs, but people especially get on my nerves.

I was reading something yesterday that ex-Chantix users have reported these symptoms. I was surprised because I had not connected this to Chantix at all. Maybe to not smoking but not to the drug taken to stop.

What do you think?
I took the full does of Chantx for 5 weeks, cut dosage in half, and at 9 weeks completely stopped. I had many of the same side effects and it took some time for them to go away. The side effects (crazy dreams, joint pain, irritability) were some of the reasons I stopped early.

The cravings do get easier. At six months I might get a craving every other day. Things you might try: suck on a straw; chew sugarless bubble gum, drink lots of water. I still stop by people who are outside smoking and enjoy the second hand smoke for a minute. That actually satisfies my craving. Stick with it. At 6 months the cravings are minimal, and I have heard from others that after a year the cravings are rare.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:50 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post

What do you think?
The updated side effect warnings for Chantix:

CHANTIX Official Site – Important Information About CHANTIX

Old 02-21-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I took the full does of Chantx for 5 weeks, cut dosage in half, and at 9 weeks completely stopped. I had many of the same side effects and it took some time for them to go away. The side effects (crazy dreams, joint pain, irritability) were some of the reasons I stopped early.

The cravings do get easier. At six months I might get a craving every other day. Things you might try: suck on a straw; chew sugarless bubble gum, drink lots of water. I still stop by people who are outside smoking and enjoy the second hand smoke for a minute. That actually satisfies my craving. Stick with it. At 6 months the cravings are minimal, and I have heard from others that after a year the cravings are rare.
LOLLLL... That is funny about the 2nd hand smoke because whenever I get a whiff of others' smoke, it smells heavenly. And it's true...It almost does satisfy somewhat.

I had the nightmares when I was taking them but slept pretty good in general and also physically felt really well. I was convinced that there was some sedative/anti-depressant stuff in it. But after...........maybe I should take something anyway.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
The updated side effect warnings for Chantix:

CHANTIX Official Site – Important Information About CHANTIX

Thanks njkate. I just read that. Problem is that my symptoms are now, AFTER being off the Chantix. I felt very good when I was taking it. Nothing bothered me. It's total opposite now. So maybe it's withdrawal? I think some of it must be because I miss the cigarette much more than before, yet I can still go without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness