Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 04:08 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
What's the "financial interest"?
An investigative report and a data base "Dollars for Docs" shows that there are some who have
a very nice relationship with big pharma.
Article below:
How to Use ProPublica?s ?Dollars for Docs? Database - Columbia Journalism Review

Dollars for Docs:
https://projects.propublica.org/docdollars/

Old 07-24-2016, 06:16 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Your article is from 2001. Drug companies no longer give away anything, not even pens and Post-it notes.
Not true. My husband got a 6 month supply of Crestor from his Cardiologist's Sample Closet back in May. So where did he get all that Crestor? Had it for 15 years? Got it off the Black Market?

Old 07-24-2016, 06:23 AM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
There is no guideline of "115/75".

There are multiple guidelines that depend on age and the presence of other medical conditions, such as diabetes and heart disease.

The guideline for under age 60 or over 60 with medical problems is 140/90. For over age 60 with no medical problems it's 150/90.

http://www.nmhs.net/documents/27JNC8...ookBooklet.pdf

Two of my BP meds are free at Publix.

Telmisartan has been around since 1998.
Oh, my, I have never had those both under 60 or over 60. It was, and still is, 115/70. I must be near death, or at the very least, need some pill to RAISE it?

No, I do not get dizzy or sluggish; quite the opposite. My 32 year old daughter's runs about the same as mine.

Better ask my doctor if there is something "Right for me". Thank goodness for recording TV. Fast Forward through all this ENDLESS medication pushing.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:24 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Not true. My husband got a 6 month supply of Crestor from his Cardiologist's Sample Closet back in May. So where did he get all that Crestor? Had it for 15 years? Got it off the Black Market?
How did that benefit the MD?

It benefitted your husband NOT the doc....

Getting samples to GIVE patients is hardly a "financial incentive" for the MD

Old 07-24-2016, 06:29 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,221,568 times
Quote:
Oh, my, I have never had those both under 60 or over 60. It was, and still is, 115/70. I must be near death, or at the very least, need some pill to RAISE it?

No, I do not get dizzy or sluggish; quite the opposite. My 32 year old daughter's runs about the same as mine.

Better ask my doctor if there is something "Right for me". Thank goodness for recording TV. Fast Forward through all this ENDLESS medication pushing.
What are you going on about?

Do you understand that a guideline of 150/90 means you would like people to be BELOW that number? NOT at or above it

If your BP is at 115/70 no one is going to push to raise it and no one would expect you to be dizzy or sluggish..

Old 07-24-2016, 09:28 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
My doctor told me he gets plenty of samples. He gave me a couple months worth of a sample metformin drug (Glumetza), which worked fine for me, but I could never afford to buy it, and insurance does not cover, so it was kind of pointless. I think probably most docs do receive plenty of free stuff.

As far as BP, mine is always on the high side especially when I go to the doctor (white coat syndrome). But I am 66 and diabetic but otherwise extremely healthy and my doctor knows it and no longer pushes any BP meds or statins on me. He doesn't even push high doses of metformin on me. He knows I like to take supplements and take care of myself through diet and exercise, so it's a good compromise between us. Glad I have him.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:56 AM

37,098 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
The freebies i was talking about were things like pens and coffee mugs that were construed as bribes to encourage doctors to precribe specific drugs.

Your husband's doctor is not the one who benefited from the Crestor samples, your husband is.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:58 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Really?

What's the "financial interest"?

Kickbacks? Cut of the purchase price?

There is no "financial interest" for physicians to prescribe expensive new drugs......
Uh - it's proven that Docs can be bought for $20 (pizza or two). Just imagine what they do for better meals, trinkets and travel to drug seminars.....

Rx pizza: 1 free meal can sway doctor prescribing

Old 07-24-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I never said that reps do not come, only that they do not leave free things like pens, but they are more likely to leave a coupon for a starter prescription than actual samples. They may bring food at times, but no doctor is going to prescribe a drug just because the rep brings in a dozen doughnuts for the staff.
You are wrong. Please read the article.
Rx pizza: 1 free meal can sway doctor prescribing

"Doctors who received a free meal sponsored by makers of these drugs were more likely to prescribe that drug than doctors who received no free meals. The strongest link was for Pfizer's Pristiq: doctors who received one Pfizer-sponsored meal were two times more likely to prescribe that drug than doctors who received no freebies"

Are you intentionally trying to misinform people - or did you not know?

A 100% increase - or more - just from a free meal.

A dozen doughnuts probably moves the needle even more.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:07 AM

The USA is unique in the amount of Direct to Consumer advertising for both drugs and even for medical care.

It's "capitalistic" health care - which ends up costing us as much as 2X what other civilized countries pay, while giving us worse results in many cases.

After all, the big bucks are in the drugs and the procedures AFTER you get sick, not in preventative care.

There is a plot. It involves everything from the unhealthy foods we eat and air we breathe to the medical business (corporations) who fleece us for nearly 3 TRILLION dollars per year.

Writing to Congress will not help. We have already made the decision to allow this country to be driven into trillions of more debt just to subsidize the Medical-Corporate complex.

It was no accident that Bill Frist was the Pres. of the Senate (family are health care BILLIONAIRES), or the Mitt Romney was a candidate (does BILLIONS in health care biz) or that Cancer Centers of America finance some of the major Right Wing efforts to keep health care expensive.

Rick Scott was head of a major Health Care firm when they paid the largest fines in history for FRAUD.

If you think this is all by accident or coincidence, I have some lots in Florida (inland swamps) for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness