Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2016, 06:58 PM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times

Advertisements

A good friend of mine lost a family member to an auto accident and he told me the strangest story. He said his family didn't know for some hours of the death until later in the day they got a call asking all kinds of questions about the family members medical history. After some digging it was found out that they were harvesting his organs without permission from the family. They had already removed some parts when they were told to stop. The person who died did not give permission on the drivers license so the family has no idea who gave them permission. Does anyone here have any experience with Organ Donation. The family thinks the group who was contacting them makes money out of it I'm not so sure.

It's possible friends of this person who died that were at the hospital gave permission it was known that friends of this person were at the location of the accident and hospital within 30 minutes. I can only think the hospital assumed these people were his family members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 07:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,394,464 times
Hmm…usually you make that call if you are a legal adult. If not your parents or closest kin do. I have organ donor on my license. If that is not the case and the family didn't authorize it it sounds like a big problem. They need to find out who gave them permission.

Old 07-26-2016, 02:14 AM

13,248 posts, read 7,312,118 times
Can't give much more detail it happened recently to the parents of a 20 year old who died so I'm thinking was a strange story and since I have not known anyone who has had a family member die and donate organs. Wonder how Organ transplant industry works. I also have organ donor on my license as well I really don't care what they do with my body after I'm done with it.

Last edited by kell490; 07-26-2016 at 02:24 AM..

Old 07-26-2016, 07:55 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
The hospital would make VERY sure to have everything legal - i.e., permission from the person(deceased), nearest relative, etc. - I really doubt this story.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:35 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Perhaps the deceased had a living will or had notated that they wanted to be a donor. The family has NO say!

I'm planning to be a "living donor" for my husband who desperately needs a kidney to live a normal life. Dialysis is horrible,even while sustaining life.

Please...if anyone wants to be a donor...MAKE IT KNOWN! It's a noble thing...so many folks need help!

Old 07-29-2016, 03:35 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
In Oregon, as in many other states, individuals can give their permission to be an organ donor in many ways including a centralized registry where they preauthorize the donation. Drivers licenses are one way but by no means the only way. These other systems exist as a way for the person to donate as they want without concern that the family will disrespect and ignore their wishes and impose their own desires inconsistent with the deceased wishes by saying no. By preauthorizing the donation, you're basically telling family to butt the heck out of your decision.

Old 07-29-2016, 03:52 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
OP didn't come back, I know when my husband passed away, he was an organ donor on D/L - they called me w/lots of questions regarding foreign travel, etc. - as I said, I don't think the "story" the friend told was legitimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness